: "Mustang - Dream it build it..." Advertising Campaign

SLCLK500
11-10-11, 09:41 AM
Have you noticed this bar popping up at the bottom of some of the pictures? On the Mercedes forum, it appears under and as a Sticky. There are some REAL irate forum members over there. Quite an aggressive advertising campaign and some desperate-for-money forums to take their money and allow advertising in this manner!

Professor Wizard
11-11-11, 09:57 AM
SLCK500.. ummm.. nope.. never noticed.

Could you demonstrate please?

SLCLK500
11-14-11, 09:20 AM
Go to this one and look at post #12

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/241415-3-6l-v6-timing-chain-replacement.html

M5eater
11-14-11, 09:31 AM
Have you noticed this bar popping up at the bottom of some of the pictures? On the Mercedes forum, it appears under and as a Sticky. There are some REAL irate forum members over there. Quite an aggressive advertising campaign and some desperate-for-money forums to take their money and allow advertising in this manner!

If you would like to privately operate a forum this large ad free which requires probally $1000+ per month(it's probally closer to a few grand acutally..) to run, by all means..

Professor Wizard
11-14-11, 11:03 AM
Hmmmm...

No Popping for me - - but that could be because of my Norton Internet Controls. As well as my Mozilla "No Pops".

RippyPartsDept
11-14-11, 11:30 AM
Not coming up for me either ... but i'm on a platinum account so i don't get any ads anyway

is there a mod in here who can move this thread to the correct forum?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/

M5eater
11-14-11, 12:01 PM
Hmmmm...

No Popping for me - - but that could be because of my Norton Internet Controls. As well as my Mozilla "No Pops".

I *have* noticed, that on Audizine, they do have some sort of ad-on type advertisement at the bottom of your browser going on, it pretty annoying since it follows you everywhere on every page and something you'd think you'd find on shaddy sites or otherwise.

In any case, a lot of times you just hire an advertising agency to handle this instead of hand-picking which advertisements go though and which do not. So There's everything from honda to Chrysler advertising going on there suffice to say

MacMuse
11-14-11, 01:24 PM
Right, one move coming up.

SLCLK500
11-14-11, 03:45 PM
If you would like to privately operate a forum this large ad free which requires probally $1000+ per month(it's probally closer to a few grand acutally..) to run, by all means..

Hmm... I can count 20+ ads on this page alone, so I guess you are right, what's one more.

RippyPartsDept
11-14-11, 04:57 PM
i just opened that link you posted in #3 using IE (which I never use so it has me logged out of the site)

i counted 25 ad units (some have multiple ads on them like the google adsense ads)

still nothing appeared over the images on that page... possibly your browser or computer has some added (unwanted?) adware/malware

JimmyH
11-14-11, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't dream of, nor would I build, a mustang. If I want one, I will head down to the local ford store.

M5eater
11-14-11, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't dream of, nor would I build, a mustang. If I want one, I will head down to the local ford store.
that's his gripe.. there's a mustang ad in a Cadillac and Mercedes forum, lol. I would have to agree with him on that point, but there's really nothing that can be done about it. Advertising in the car business is mostly about converting current owners.

JimmyH
11-14-11, 08:51 PM
I didn't see the ad, but I would bet it's a network ad. I don't think Sal can control those.

RippyPartsDept
11-14-11, 09:15 PM
there's a really simple and obvious solution to this ....

M5eater
11-14-11, 09:22 PM
there's a really simple and obvious solution to this ....
I didn't like the idea of paying for a public forum membership either, but after a while I've realized, it's the easiest money I could have spent for the car.

Rolex
11-18-11, 08:40 AM

You're enjoying the content of this site free of charge. The site owner allows adds to help him displace the cost of operating the forum. You're here to complain about the adds on a free site? Stay classy OP.

drewsdeville
11-18-11, 11:20 AM
My opinion is that there needs to be an incentive to pay for membership. Easiest money you could have spent for the car? How so? All information on this site is available to everyone, member or not. It's free. Sounds to me that the only thing you get for paying is some added storage and supposed decreased ads. Big deal - forums are successful because of the collective info traded, not because of their storage capacity to members. I can easily get all of the info I need without a membership.

What many automotive boards do is lock out non-members from community-created how-to's and technical information. If you want to reap the benefits of a supporting community, you yourself must also support. Very simple. It's a small price to pay for the wealth of information. Seems quite successful elsewhere, and it should be even more successful on this forum, which holds obscure (Cadillac) information that can't reliably be found elsewhere on the net.

RippyPartsDept
11-18-11, 01:25 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/242445-what-do-forums-look-like-platinum.html

you can find the benefits of a supporting membership at these links
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/announcements.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html

Seems to me like Sal is being a very nice guy to let anyone at all the info on his site for free...

Seems to me that it would be a 'dick move' for him to lock up the important info behind a pay wall...
(it would also probably be the beginning of the end of this site's reign as the #1 online Cadillac community)

Seems like he's putting forth an olive leaf demanding nothing in return, just asking for your support ...

just because other people are dicks and jerks doesn't make it okay ...

M5eater
11-18-11, 01:38 PM
My opinion is that there needs to be an incentive to pay for membership. Easiest money you could have spent for the car? How so? All information on this site is available to everyone, member or not. It's free. Sounds to me that the only thing you get for paying is some added storage and supposed decreased ads. Big deal - forums are successful because of the collective info traded, not because of their storage capacity to members. I can easily get all of the info I need without a membership.

What many automotive boards do is lock out non-members from community-created how-to's and technical information. If you want to reap the benefits of a supporting community, you yourself must also support. Very simple. It's a small price to pay for the wealth of information. Seems quite successful elsewhere, and it should be even more successful on this forum, which holds obscure (Cadillac) information that can't reliably be found elsewhere on the net.

This easily encapsulates the common and incorrect mentality of today.. people would rather leech off of others and be forced to do things rather than be proactive and simply do them in the first place. This is exactly why wikipedia-- the 5th largest website in the world-- has to go around a few times a year begging for contributions.

I frankly wouldn't want to contribute to a community that has to force their members to do what they should have done without being told to. That's simply perpetuating the idea that it's OK to be a selfish ass.

More to my point- There's no real incentive to donate blood either.... what would happen if everyone decided ''hey-- what's in it for me?''

drewsdeville
11-18-11, 02:20 PM
This easily encapsulates the common and incorrect mentality of today.. people would rather leech off of others and be forced to do things rather than be proactive and simply do them in the first place.

That's simply perpetuating the idea that it's OK to be a selfish ass.

You are absolutely correct, so get with the times - like it or not, that's the way this society works on the internet, and it's exactly why this website has had to resort to the desperate measures it has to raise it's barely sufficient funds. You can't change people, and failure to adapt WILL result in failure to succeed, unfortunately. You gotta do what you gotta do.

M5eater
11-18-11, 02:26 PM
Get with the times - like it or not, that's the way this society works on the internet, and it's exactly why this website has had to resort to the measures it has to raise sufficient funds. You can't change it, so you'd probably be best adapting to it.
Wrong again. All it takes is a single person to start a change.
http://news.change.org/stories/score-one-for-a-customer-rebellion

When I dislike something, I try to change it. What I don't do is say 'o well-- nothing I can do about it' and move on.

That sentiment is why we have such pathetic voting percentages and a completly incompetent government that has to waste time declaring pizza a vegtable.

drewsdeville
11-18-11, 02:34 PM
Wrong again. All it takes is a single person to start a change.
http://news.change.org/stories/score-one-for-a-customer-rebellion

When I dislike something, I try to change it. What I don't do is say 'o well-- nothing I can do about it' and move on.

Sure, you can try all you want. I could also try to jump to the moon, but I probably won't get there.

When it comes to CF.com, I've yet to see any success. From what I've been gathering from Sal's limited posts within the last year, these are desperate times for this website - it's barely keeping itself afloat. If you've been trying to change the leechers and selfish asses, and what they should do with their money, you're efforts have been already been squashed.

Besides, essentially what we have is a few select members, like yourself, paying for the resources that are heavily relied upon by the leechers and selfish asses. They are responsible for 95% of the traffic here, no? They make up most of the site. You feel more comfortable paying for their access to this website rather than letting them pay for their own? Can 5% plus some ad services sustain the other 95% forever?

At some point, one will have to cry uncle and give in to the leachers and do something about it (as other forums have happily done), or take the whole thing down with their stubborness and "move on".

M5eater
11-18-11, 02:43 PM
At some point, one will have to cry uncle and give in to the leachers, or take the whole thing down with their stubborness.

I could go on a large rant about how this country deserves and needs desperatly a swift kick in the butt. We are not entitled to 60K/year salaries for the same work people are paid 20K for over seas, we are not entitled to home ownership or a new car every 3 years. We can not run up the credit cards becase ''why not!". Entitlement is why a trillion dollar stimulious has failed to invigorate a slumming economy in this country.

But I wont.

drewsdeville
11-18-11, 03:04 PM
I agree. Why won't you rant? I'm guessing because it won't accomplish anything. People will continue to do as they please, continue to consume until there is nothing left and move on to the next resource. History has taught us this many, MANY times over. If you want to start a rebellion against consumption, you go ahead and give it a shot. It wouldn't be the first failure of it's kind. A success would probably be a first.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do morally. However, unfortunately, I think that it's what's necessary for this website to survive, as the people with the consumption problem are the reason this site exists, and are who this site is for (according to the heavily biased traffic).

M5eater
11-18-11, 03:08 PM
I agree. Why won't you rant? I'm guessing because it won't accomplish anything.
mostly because we're getting off topic :P

JimmyH
11-18-11, 03:46 PM
Sure, you can try all you want. I could also try to jump to the moon, but I probably won't get there.

When it comes to CF.com, I've yet to see any success. From what I've been gathering from Sal's limited posts within the last year, these are desperate times for this website - it's barely keeping itself afloat. If you've been trying to change the leechers and selfish asses, and what they should do with their money, you're efforts have been already been squashed.

Besides, essentially what we have is a few select members, like yourself, paying for the resources that are heavily relied upon by the leechers and selfish asses. They are responsible for 95% of the traffic here, no? They make up most of the site. You feel more comfortable paying for their access to this website rather than letting them pay for their own? Can 5% plus some ad services sustain the other 95% forever?

At some point, one will have to cry uncle and give in to the leachers and do something about it (as other forums have happily done), or take the whole thing down with their stubborness and "move on".

If you don't like this forum, why hang around? For the past several years, I read EVERY thread in 1st gen CTS, 1st gen CTS-V, 2nd gen CTS, and second gen CTS-V. I also peruse the SRX forum and few others. From what I see, the vast majority of members here enjoy this forum, and have reaped the benefits of reading and posting here. There are a very small few, from time to time, who cry foul. Would you have us change this entire website for the 1%'ers? If we do, we are playing by the same corrupt rules as the government everyone loves to hate.

drewsdeville
11-18-11, 04:17 PM
If you don't like this forum, why hang around? For the past several years, I read EVERY thread in 1st gen CTS, 1st gen CTS-V, 2nd gen CTS, and second gen CTS-V. I also peruse the SRX forum and few others. From what I see, the vast majority of members here enjoy this forum, and have reaped the benefits of reading and posting here. There are a very small few, from time to time, who cry foul. Would you have us change this entire website for the 1%'ers? If we do, we are playing by the same corrupt rules as the government everyone loves to hate.

Just like the government, this website needs CASH to operate. I doubt, however, that there is as much needles wasting on Sals end as there is in our bloated government.

That said, I'm not suggesting change just for the sake of change. It's great that the members that you see enjoy themselves. I'm not doubting that. However, if the cash flow from said happy members is insufficient, and the current system is unsustainable (traffic growing at faster rate than cashflow), a new system needs to be created, or the current overhauled. Many "happy" regulars have spoken out against the current, desperate solution with endless ads. Have any other ideas?

JimmyH
11-18-11, 05:03 PM
Have any other ideas?

Yes. The people who do not like this forum should not browse here. If the nay-sayers are correct, and this forum truly blows, and everyone is experiencing tremendous page load times, then if all the people who don't like this forum leave, that frees up a considerable amount of bandwidth for those of us who love this forum. Win-win.

drewsdeville
11-18-11, 05:14 PM
Whoa whoa, I'm only talking about the many non-subscribers - the ones not financially contributing. I'm sure many of them fully enjoy this site and subscribers contributions - for free. This isn't about whether people who like or dislike the site. No one mentioned that this site "blows" in this thread. No need to go there.

RippyPartsDept
11-18-11, 05:33 PM
what i don't get is how someone can say 'blah blah blah, this site needs to make more money' when they're not a supporting member

there's a something in the reasoning that i'm not understanding, i guess

RippyPartsDept
11-18-11, 05:37 PM
jimmy, isn't there some way that the server could prioritize resources for the subscribing members?

maybe three tiers, subscribers, members (non-subscription), and the general public

that way Sal could have a way that the site could always be up for those who pay and when it gets loaded down first the general public get's locked out and then if it gets really bad the non-paying members

drewsdeville
11-18-11, 05:40 PM
what i don't get is how someone can say 'blah blah blah, this site needs to make more money' when they're not a supporting member

there's a something in the reasoning that i'm not understanding, i guess

That doesn't make any sense.

AMD and HP need to make more money. Do I need to purchase a product from each before I can recognize it - or before conversation is justified?

JimmyH
11-19-11, 03:46 PM
jimmy, isn't there some way that the server could prioritize resources for the subscribing members?

maybe three tiers, subscribers, members (non-subscription), and the general public

that way Sal could have a way that the site could always be up for those who pay and when it gets loaded down first the general public get's locked out and then if it gets really bad the non-paying members

Not a good idea. This forum is for all members. Not just the paying members. Those who contribute get perks. Main one being less ads displayed. But the information exists for everyone. Even people who don't register and are simply "guests."

I don't like to push "you should contribute financially" because I don't like that philosophy. If you are a regular here, and you decide to support, that is great, and we greatly appreciate it. But not everyone can afford to. And even if they can, but don't, that is their choice. And I would never hold that against anyone.

But, if you come here, browse and post, and choose not to donate, then in my opinion, you have absolutely no right to complain about the ads. You are being provided access to a free community, free information, and you should be grateful for that. If you do donate, and still don't like the much fewer ads you must look at, then I am sorry. But that is the way it is. I wish it wasn't, but it is. Just my opinion.

Stingroo
11-19-11, 05:56 PM

I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN we already have such a system in place. Check back during super high traffic times, and occasionally you'll get a message about it and it wont let you onto the forums, and it mentions supporting membership. It's not "always" up (though, I've never been a platinum supporter so I don't know if it stays up for those guys), but I'm 99% sure it does exist.

M5eater
11-19-11, 06:23 PM
I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN we already have such a system in place. Check back during super high traffic times, and occasionally you'll get a message about it and it wont let you onto the forums, and it mentions supporting membership. It's not "always" up (though, I've never been a platinum supporter so I don't know if it stays up for those guys), but I'm 99% sure it does exist.
I get that message durring high traffic times. There's nothing of what Chris is talking about being implemented.

Stingroo
11-19-11, 07:01 PM
Ah.

Well, I see I have been proven wrong.

Carry on, gents. :coffee:

RippyPartsDept
11-20-11, 12:46 PM
Yeah I see your point jimmy and I agree

JimmyH
11-20-11, 01:51 PM

Yeah everyone gets that message. Even mods.

SLCLK500
12-28-11, 01:46 PM
Wow - this got moved to somewhere and I just found it from checking my posts. You all know my comments really did not warrant the "take it or leave it" attitude. My apologies to all (and there were apparently quite a few) who were offended. If you don't think that an advertisement for a Ford on a Cadillac site is ironic, well so be it. It is a free country and we really all do think differently, but from the comments I can see that my opinion that is different from others that commented I will in the future withhold from you BIG BROTHER.

RippyPartsDept
12-28-11, 04:25 PM
I'm not really sure what you're meaning to say or the point you're trying to make, can you be a bit more specific?

JimmyH
12-29-11, 01:32 PM
what is a 2006 SRV?

thebigjimsho
12-29-11, 06:47 PM

What many automotive boards do is lock out non-members from community-created how-to's and technical information. If you want to reap the benefits of a supporting community, you yourself must also support. Very simple. It's a small price to pay for the wealth of information. Seems quite successful elsewhere, and it should be even more successful on this forum, which holds obscure (Cadillac) information that can't reliably be found elsewhere on the net.And some of us enjoy paying out of the goodness of our hearts to enjoy the place. You don't? Fine. But don't begrudge guys like myself and M5eater for doing so. And having a AAA membership. We enjoy spending our money in such ways...

JimmyH
12-29-11, 10:22 PM
James, James, James. You should know better than any of us, don't feed the trolls.

SLCLK500
12-30-11, 03:19 PM
what is a 2006 SRV?

OOPS, it was a typo. Thanks, I have since corrected that. I must have had Stevie Ray Vaughn on my mind. ;-)

JimmyH
12-30-11, 03:44 PM
it must be floodin' down in texas