: Some help if this has happened to you - Fix on my no start problem

MLEO
11-10-11, 09:20 AM
I recently had a no start issue on my 2005 CTS-V. All lights, ignition, chimes, nav - everything worked, just no start, the starter wouldn't even attempt to turn over, just a slight two "clicks" from the resistor panel when i turned the key to the start position. I changed the Battery - new Delco 650 - and still nothing. This battery actually had indicated less amps than the one i removed (11.8) which i initially found odd. Anyway, the car is still under warranty so i figured I would Jump it in reverse down the driveway to get it going and just drive it to the dealer. long story short, drove it to the dealer where it started up every single time we tried. They told me that it WAS the battery and the one I picked up from the dealer (AC Delco made in China BTW??) must have been low and driving it there must have charged it up. It has been a week and it has been totally fine since and I start the car an average of 10 times per day.

James R. Brown
11-10-11, 11:54 AM
I've been having a similar problem. At first i thought it was some sort of random electronic gremlins cause it had only happened twice in a year & both times all I did was disconnect the battery for a while, then fire it up. Well, lately it's been doing it more often and the battery trick didn't work. Got under the car and gave the starter a few "love taps" with an iron rod & it fired right up. My thought is that it's either time for a new starter or it's dirty & getting stuck.

EDIT - I forgot to add that this only happens when the car has been sitting up over night

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-10-11, 01:53 PM
MLEO,
I am glad that this issue was resolved for you. Keep us updated.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

MLEO
11-11-11, 02:39 PM
Thanks for your update James. I will definitely keep you posted if I experience the same issue and I hope your's is resolved soon. I wonder if there is some sort of condensation build up or something similar if it is only happening over night, if i hear anything i will let you know.

And tThank you Breanne, so far so good and will do. I hope you have the opportunity soon to pick up an SRX, we love ours.

MLEO
12-25-11, 09:07 PM
First I woild like to say MerryChristmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Just a follow up to the no start problem.....been having issues with the no start again...was fine for a while but now the temps have dropped and over the past few weeks it seems as though the no start only happens when I leave the car in cold temps for over 5 hours, even in the garage. I pop the clutch to get it going and it works fine throughout the day after that but I'm not sure how much longer this will last. Picked up a starter as the batt and alt are both good and volts are great at startup.

Anyone have any suggestions otherwise?

Thanks!

darkman
12-25-11, 09:13 PM
The first suspect in these cases is the battery - if it is marginal the weather will expose its weakness.

The charging system is another possibility if the battery is not being fully charged between starts.

If the battery and charging system are good it could be parasitic drain of some sort (see attached).

Finally, the starter and/or solenoid could be marginal.

On this sort of thing I usually check the battery and after that, I let the dealer troubleshoot it.

MLEO
12-26-11, 12:12 AM
I appreciate the quick info. The battery is brand new and I had the system fully inspected so I will look into the
attached for possibilities.

Thanks again.