: rear parking assist not working

ezstriper
11-09-11, 03:33 PM
ok, had some paint work done from a deer hit on RR side, they pulled the bumper to paint it, after that rear sensors don't work, checked all hooked up..took back..body shop could not figure it out, sent to dealer, they are saying module is shorted behind rear seat, funny happened after being repaired ?? the red and yellow lights come on and 1 beep when put into reverse, then just the red...can walk right to the any spot along bumper, nothing picked up....any idea's...why would module, if thats even the issue go after disassembly ? thanks Rob

ddalder
11-09-11, 07:48 PM
One thing to consider, and it may not be the case here, if the shop painted the sensor as part of the repair it may be rendered inoperative. The FSM specifically warns against this as too much paint (layer too thick) will affect correct operation. These are typically a paint-once item. Did the dealer know you had a repair done when they diagnosed a module problem?

ezstriper
11-09-11, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure..now the body shop took the car to the dealer..but not sure how much info was given...if the module was bad would the system power up when put in reverse ?

ddalder
11-09-11, 07:59 PM
Depending on the severity of the fault, yes it may still power up. It performs some internal tests each time and will generate fault codes if there is a problem. Depending on the vintage, the fault is displayed using the indicator lamps. In some modules they can be accessed using a Tech2 (although I'm not sure if this is the case for the STS). Some modules have a single conductor wire located at the module which puts it into a diagnostic mode as well.

EChas3
11-09-11, 10:35 PM
With these cars, it can make sense to start all insurance-paid work with your dealer. They can refer shops that know these cars systems.

dkozloski
11-09-11, 10:53 PM
There is a test procedure outlined in the owner's manual. I realise that reading the manual is admitting defeat but sometimes you have to just swallow your pride.

ezstriper
11-10-11, 08:45 AM
I looked in the manual, did not see anything other than how it works...where is the dianostics ?

kford1025
04-14-14, 02:48 PM
Where exactly is the parking assist module located?