: Parking Brake Cable broke

mlimanti
11-09-11, 08:50 AM
I pulled the parking brake and the entire release handle came all the way out with a frayed end of the parking brake cable. Now my car is stuck with the parking brake on. Any suggestions?

odla
11-09-11, 10:36 AM
how much of the cable came out?

mlimanti
11-09-11, 10:56 AM
how much of the cable came out?

About 12 inches

hXc95SLS
11-09-11, 12:33 PM
Fairly easy fix. I had to replace mine. The dealer had it in stock and took about a half hour to replace. Then again I am a mechanic for a living. The worst part about changing it is the weird position you have to contort your body to properly fit under the dash to see what the hell is going on.

mlimanti
11-11-11, 05:05 PM
Fairly easy fix. I had to replace mine. The dealer had it in stock and took about a half hour to replace. Then again I am a mechanic for a living. The worst part about changing it is the weird position you have to contort your body to properly fit under the dash to see what the hell is going on.

Yeah I had to order it from my dealer. But until it comes in, every time I park my car it is habit to push the brake in. So far only have had to crawl under the dash in public 3 times.

blhxcmn
03-25-12, 11:52 AM
How do you get the brake to release without the handle?

bolide
03-25-12, 01:17 PM
Move the seat all the way back, stick your head and upper body where yout feer would normally be, remove the two plastic panels under there and you will be able to see the release mechanism ( mine still had the broken off head from the cable still in there), use a screwdriver to trip it. Replacement cable was only 12 dollars (canadian) from the dealer. Replacement takes about 15 minutes, but recovery from the sprained muscles because of the position you have to get into takes a few days (at my age anyways).