: HID Fog Lights For 08 Escalade

Doy5
11-09-11, 12:25 AM
I've been reading all the threads on HID Fog Lights, but am still not sure what to get. I was hoping to get something that was close to the color of the stock headlights, so I'm guessing 5000k or 6000k. I was hoping someone post a few links to what my options are, and if I could install them myself.

Thanks,
Doy5

quattrotman
11-09-11, 03:37 AM
In my opinion, 6000k is too blue and doesn't match the stock xenons. I'd do 5000k or even 4300k as the true color lies somewhere in that range.

murphy
11-09-11, 09:28 AM
Look at my post about installing fogs and mud flaps last week. You wnat 4300 to be close to color from sharphid.com available in 35 watt or 55 watt (very bright). H10 is the lamp type and install is virtually plug and play.

Doy5
11-09-11, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the hwlp, will look into it. I'm a novice and I didn't want to buy a bulb that didn't fit or wasn't compartable with the Escalade.

Doy5
11-09-11, 04:58 PM
http://store.sharphid.com/product_p/shhid.htm

So far this is what I've got my eyes set on. Just a few quick questions. Do I need HID/Bow Harnesses, or the Mounting Brackets? And I'm assuming for the bulb type the H10-9145 is ok?

Now will these go into my fog lights, headlights, both? Sorry I'm a newbie.

Bunty
11-09-11, 06:03 PM
What the difference between 35W and 55W? And can either work just fine with Escalade fogs?

murphy
11-09-11, 07:15 PM
The 55w are what I got and suggest if you're looking for a much brighter light...they are what you want. The 4500 are the closest color match to the HID headlights and the bulb is H10. No additional wires, harnesses or brackets are needed. The stock bulb twists out 1/4 turn bayonette style and unplugs from a single clip style connector from the truck at the end of the bulb base.Pry up the holder clip and wriggle the bulb base out of the socket. That connector goes into the ballast that comes with the new set and note it can attach to the ballast two ways,,,if the lamp does not light initially reverse the connector 180 degrees.There will be two connectors off the ballast to connect to the new lamps and only mate one way.There is an additional pair of wires (black and red) that are not needed/used so I cut and removed them.The new bulb fixes back to the housing as the stock did with a tight 1/4 turn.Avoid touching the glass part of the bulb with bare hands as the oil shortens bulb life. I tie- wrapped the ballasted to the flat base plates you will see below the fog enclosures....that's it

Bunty
11-09-11, 07:30 PM
I read somewhere that 55W could melt stuff especially fog housings or is that not an issue with Escalades? And can you simple lay down on the ground under the vehicle and switch out the bulb with the kit?

murphy
11-09-11, 07:36 PM
Never had melting issues and yes..lay with worklight and get her dun

ELUSIVE
11-10-11, 10:39 AM
Didn't someone in your previous post murphy (hcvone perhaps) mention that he burnt out a housing on one of his Escalades.
I'm concerned about melting as well but would love the additional light.

hcvone
11-10-11, 11:11 AM
Didn't someone in your previous post murphy (hcvone perhaps) mention that he burnt out a housing on one of his Escalades.
I'm concerned about melting as well but would love the additional light.

It was me, used the same bulbs and ballasts in all three trucks, two were fine and one melted both lenses, I have not used HID in my fogs since, my lights are on a lot because most of my driving between homes is done late at night, just don't want to deal with issues in the middle of NOWHERE. :)

ELUSIVE
11-10-11, 12:31 PM
Would the 35W bulbs be a better option, or do you think those pose the same risk of burnout?

2007XTSDub
11-10-11, 12:57 PM
You have to get good HIDs! A ton out there. I have no problems with melting on mine. The ones i have run way cooler then the stock bulbs. They are 55W.

murphy
11-10-11, 05:10 PM
up no options here..2 escalades and Z06 have too

Bunty
11-10-11, 09:51 PM
So are 55W kits from ddmtuning good quality or should someone go with another brand for 55W Fog HID's?

murphy
11-10-11, 09:53 PM
i actually think they are one and the same as sharphid..websites look very similar

LAC-CADDY
07-19-12, 01:44 AM
Hi everyone...sorry to bring back this 8 month-old thread. I have a '07 Escalade and I want to switch out the fogs to HID. I have a 55W 6000k kit from DDM tuning I had on another truck. Murphy, you said you have a 55W kit with no harness/relay and no melting issues in your fogs? Is your kit from DDM tuning? Also, anyone swap out factory headlight ballasts to 55W? I'd like to get the headlights a little more brighter and match the fogs. I would like do both headlights and fog lights w/ 55W ballasts and 6000k bulbs. Just an expensive lesson if I melt a housing or two. Thank you in advance for input.

murphy
07-19-12, 01:48 AM
No issues at all. My kit was from sharphid.com but I think they are the same co. now.

Royalton
07-19-12, 05:25 PM
These are the ones I've always used http://retro-solutions.net/product-list.php?DIGITAL_HID_FOR_FOG_LAMPS-pg1-cid103.html

In my escalade fogs I use the 9145 55Watt kit. I choose 6000k Its pure white. a hint of blue when it starts up. It is much brighter than stock and not any hotter. I don't use any relay kit either, just stock wire harness. Sorry I cant comment on DDM tuning kit, but have heard it is pretty comparable to retros. But me, I swear by retros. I also swapped out my headlights with them too to match. Even if you don't do that I still really like the foglight upgrade. Much more light at night.

CamCo94
07-19-12, 06:27 PM
I have 55W 6000k HID bulbs in my fog lights (i also swapped out the D1S to 6000K to be a lot more blue white) of my 07 but 4500K from ddm tuning matches the stock OEM HIDs. i personally love their product and installation literally took me 30 minutes. totally plug and play. heres a link to their
HID kits http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

CamCo94
07-19-12, 06:29 PM
no problems at all with melting, i didnt use the extra harness or anything i've had them for probably 6 months now, theyre incredibly bright i bought mine from ddm also

cutterman
07-20-12, 06:17 AM
I installed the retro-solutions 55 W 4300K kit. Lights are very bright and run cool.
After 3 months the Ballasts locked up. I sent them back and they said it was due to power supply fluctuations. They replaced them and I installed their relay harness which was very straightforward. No problems since.

ESCALADE132
03-11-13, 12:02 PM
Hey Murphy I was just reading your post and thanks for the info. I have a 2008 Escalade and I just ordered the 55 watt HID fogs for mine.all I ordered was the lights because you said its plug and play right! I don't need to install a wiring harness or relay? And the 55 watt bulbs don't get to hot and burn the housings? How long have you had yours in and are you glad you got the 55 and not the 35s. I want a nice bright light because I'm running LED foglights from VLEDS and they look ok but are not bright at all. Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure I don't fry anything. Are you happy with SharpHID I ordered the same ones as you
Thanks

Samstorm
03-12-13, 12:35 AM
I've had 55W HIDS from DDM tuning now for almost two years. No issues with melting the housing. It pretty much is plug and play. 30min job if that. I would use the relay harness though just for peace of mind, if you're running 55W. 35W, don't really need it. And for the 5 minutes it takes to install and the extra $10 its worth it in my opionion. Relay harness hooks to your battery and ground, and stock wiring plugs into the harness and HIDS into harness. One relay harness will do both fogs.55's draw a lot of current on startup so the relay helps your stock wiring and probably be easier on your ballast in the long run. I ran the 55w because I have my fog lenses tinted so I wanted the extra output. I have ran 35W in other vehicles and the light output on those is great as well.
Good luck with the install and once you have them in you'll want to put HID's on everything, lol.
Cheers.

Samstorm
03-12-13, 05:05 AM
ddmtuning.com is where i bought all my HID's. Haven't had an issue yet. H10 is the bulb type you re looking for. As for bulb temp it depends on if you go 35w or 55w. 35W you want about 5000k for bright white. About 6000k for 55w. As you go up in k value you get more of a bluish tinge to the lights. Its just a matter of personal preference. If you go 55w I would grab the relay harness from them as well. Its $10. Some guys run without them but I use them for extra piece of mind. I also run the slim kits cause I find the ballasts easier to mount.
Install is straight forward and shouldn't take any more than 30 mins. As follows, if my memory serves me correct.

1. Grab a couple beverages of your choice.
2. Climb under and remove stock bulb from housing. Should just twist to the left and it will come out. If you live in a muddy/dusty area wear safety glasses unless ya wanna bunch of dirt in your eyes lol
3. Unclip stock bulb from connector. May need a small flat screwdriver to open the clip.
4. Insert new HID bulb into the housing. Don't touch the bulb itself with bare hands. Grab it by the base.
5. Plug Stock wiring into ballast. It'll only go in one way.
6. Plug two wires from bulb into wires from ballast. Again, they only fit one way. Can't mix em up.
7. Secure ballast underneath vehicle. You can use a bracket for this that you can get with the lights. Think they $4. I zip tied mine up and out of the way.
8. Repeat for other side and your done.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell. There are only 1 or 2 different steps if you use a harness with the 55w kit. If you use a relay harness one wire on the harness will run directly to your battery and the other to ground. Stock wiring will plug into the harness and the harness plugs into the ballast. 1 relay harness will do 2 lights.

Depending on the kit you order the bulb may have 4 wires coming from it. 2 will have connectors and 2 will have bare leads. You can disregard the wires with bare leads as you won't need them.

Also, I put dielectric grease on all the connections just for added piece of mind, although they seal pretty good.

Hope this helps and is sorta what you're looking for.

ESCALADE132
03-13-13, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the great write up Samstorm this will help me out a lot! I ordered the 55 watt like you said I want them bright. You said there are 2 bare wires that I don't need, what did you do with them? Can you cut them or did you just zip tie them. I'm not as sure how big hey ballasts are that come with them but I think I will zip tie them like you did is there a good place visible that I can put them when I'm under there. Sorry for all the questions
Thanks again!

murphy
03-13-13, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the great write up Samstorm this will help me out a lot! I ordered the 55 watt like you said I want them bright. You said there are 2 bare wires that I don't need, what did you do with them? Can you cut them or did you just zip tie them. I'm not as sure how big hey ballasts are that come with them but I think I will zip tie them like you did is there a good place visible that I can put them when I'm under there. Sorry for all the questions
Thanks again!

I didn't use the relay..no issues without. Just cut the extra wires and take note the connectors can go either way..the way they connect seems wrong but if lights don't light reverse the polarity of the connection into the stock pigtail. Also HIDs actually run cooler than halogen etc so melting is not a concern. I also zip tied the slim ballasts into the void pocket in the bumper frame extensions..you'll love them

ESCALADE132
03-13-13, 10:49 AM
Thanks Murphy I can't wait until I get them so I can put them in

ESCALADE132
03-20-13, 11:25 PM
Thanks a lot Samstorm and Murphy you guys helped me out a lot! My kit came yesterday and I installed them today and it wasn't hard at all thanks to your help. I'm glad I got the 55 watt ones they are really bright. Just curious there's not a way to adjust the fogs is there? It seemed that one was higher than the other when they were shining on my garage door, maybe ones not in straight or something maybe it's not quite level where they were shining. I will have to see thanks a lot for al of your help

Hemmissey
03-20-13, 11:30 PM
How much was the HID fig lamp kit?

murphy
03-20-13, 11:32 PM
Thanks a lot Samstorm and Murphy you guys helped me out a lot! My kit came yesterday and I installed them today and it wasn't hard at all thanks to your help. I'm glad I got the 55 watt ones they are really bright. Just curious there's not a way to adjust the fogs is there? It seemed that one was higher than the other when they were shining on my garage door, maybe ones not in straight or something maybe it's not quite level where they were shining. I will have to see thanks a lot for al of your help

Yes you can adjust...there is a small screw at the top corner
On the inside of course..takes a torx or Allen if I recall

ESCALADE132
03-21-13, 04:11 PM
Hemmissey I believe they were around $85 and well worth it they look great

Hemmissey
03-21-13, 05:33 PM
Hemmissey I believe they were around $85 and well worth it they look great

Thanks!

ESCALADE132
03-21-13, 08:13 PM
Hemmissey just a FYI I bought them from SharpHID.com and they were very helpful!

ESCALADE132
03-21-13, 08:15 PM
I just checked they were $60 sorry $75 with shipping