: 1987 allante, am I an idiot?

tomandcoach
11-08-11, 11:21 PM
I am considering buying a 1987 allante for 5000. It seems to run well, but the electronic system seems to lag, runs slow, but finally reports out. Is this car something I want to commte in. I am a teacher and would like a convertible but cannot afford major fixes. The body and top are in good shape, I worry about the elcetronics.

OffThaHorseCEO
11-09-11, 04:40 PM
can you elaborate on the issues youre having with the electronics?

IMO an 87 for 5000 is asking too much unless it is in absolute pristine shape. no dings, no dents, speakers work leathers in good shape etc

thats only my opinion though

MountainMan
11-09-11, 09:01 PM
For 5 grand I would try to get a phase 2. Won't be pristine, but most of the bugs are worked out. I would worry about the DIC not working correct and I would have the brakes checked.

Rich_M
11-09-11, 10:43 PM
The parts will cost big bucks. And that's if you can find them. If you're handy and can do repairs yourself then go for it. I doubt that you will find a pristine 25 year old
Allante for $ 5,000.00. I've been offered a lot more than that for mine but I enjoy it too much to sell it. Good luck.

D Yaros
11-13-11, 12:09 PM
Since you state you are a teacher, my wife is a retired teacher and we own an Allante, my recommendation, based on experience is stay away from it!
Yes, these cars are nice, and they definitely have an alluring quality to them. However, they are terribly expensive to maintain. Nor are they easy to work on. You will end up despising the car because of all the money it takes to maintain.

mikel912
11-14-11, 10:27 PM
Buying an Allante does not have to be expensive, BUT you do have to buy the right one. For my money I would buy a phase II car. Mileage is LESS important than condition, and history, where it resided, and the care and maintenance of the car, my 93 has 183,000 original miles, RUNS Great! BUT it has been well maintained all of its life. Good luck.

yamahaRwon
11-16-11, 01:45 PM
by an 04-05 cts for 6 or 7k lower miles, newer loof, no convertable...lol

yamahaRwon
11-16-11, 01:55 PM
*look

billc83
11-26-11, 01:43 AM
And '87 Allante? For the occassional tour around the boulevard - absolutely. For a daily driver and commuting - no way!

You can pull codes on an '87 by holding down the OFF and HEAT button on the climate control. The dashboard will flash for a few moments and then show you all the codes on the DIC. If any codes are current, you can look them up online and find out if they're major issues.

Honestly, I'd steer clear. The Phase I tops are known to leak, and having one of these as a daily driver commuter really isn't too practical.