: replacing all speakers but keeping head unit, good or bad idea?

golfbomber
11-08-11, 04:09 PM
talked to the local audio installer and says that keeping the factory head unit on my 07 ext is not a good idea.wont get the full potential out of my new speakers and amps. Has anyone kept the factory nav backup camera etc and installed subs, mid tweets? how does it sound and which part is needed to trick the head unit thinking that the bose system is still there. looking to install two 12 inch subs and 6 speakers in the doors and tweets...

hcvone
11-08-11, 05:06 PM
I have seen and heard system does both ways, some systems that are in the tens of thousands, it just depends on how crazy you want to go. I am having one of the 12's done with new speakers and amps, everything will appear as stock, I have a customer that had this done and the sound quality difference was shocking, will report all parts used after complete

Mha
11-08-11, 05:38 PM
Was it a small audio shop. Most small audio shop just have simple hi lower converters that tap into speaker leads to create rcas to hook up amps(if your looking into keeping the oem head unit)the quality gets lowered. You have to look to the more expensive hi low converters( not realy that expensive if you buy on line- about 150). Look up audio control lc6i (the one I have) or one of there other products. They come with equalizers and thinks like that. As for speakers im wondering the same I didnt even know there would be any issues buy switching them out.

Mha
11-08-11, 05:46 PM
You should order some of these and let me know how you like them? they have a nice custom look and there not to bad only like a 100

:D

the cadillac man
11-08-11, 06:16 PM
i will be doing something smiler in my 03 and i will be posting the results on the 03-06 forums if anyone is wanting to see how the outcome is. p.s. if anyone wants pics posted let me know via p.m. ok.

Mha
11-08-11, 08:28 PM
You goin custom? I forgot the site I got where they sell these speaker pods but the had older modle ones that look nice to and cheaper then custom work