: Snow Tires

MnMs
11-08-11, 08:44 AM
I have a 2012 SSR all wheel drive with 20" all seasons latitude tour HP tires and would like to know if snow tires are needed with the all wheel drive models?

Correction SRX 4 wheel drive.

TheCaptain
11-08-11, 02:35 PM
An AWD SSR eh? I would like to see one of those! :D

Snow tires really depend on your environment. If you are somewhere that barely gets a sprinkling of snow in a year, definately not needed. If you get ice, some snow/ice tires would help you out.

I know in my climate, winter tires make the difference of the SRX being 'good' in the snow (and poor on ice, all season tires are really no season tires) to tracking like its on rails! On brand new Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's (unidirectional, non studded)!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/10%20SRX%20WinterSpring/IMG_2671.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/10%20SRX%20WinterSpring/IMG_2672.jpg

MnMs
11-08-11, 06:24 PM
Did you go with 18" wheels? I was told by a Tire Rack employee that there are no snow tire available for the the 20" wheels in the correct size and that I would need to purchase a set of 18" wheels and tires. They want $1800 out the door. I am in mountains of Western North Caroline and we get enough snow to consider snow tires.

TheCaptain
11-09-11, 02:49 PM
Yea i bought a set of stock 18's not only for ride quality and longetivity of the chrome, but there is no availability for 20" snow tires!

paid4c4
11-09-11, 04:03 PM
I have a set of 18" Blizzaks which are almost like new from my Infiniti FX. It was AWD with 20" wheels which I changed in the beginning of winter to 18" wheels and Blizzaks. Since I already have the tires I'm going to find 18" wheels for the SRX and run the Blizzaks on it this winter. We don't get terrible winters here but we live on top of a hill and you have to go up a hill to get to our hill, so the Blizzaks really make a difference. I can't say enough about Blizzaks, they are the best.
Bill

MnMs
11-14-11, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the information.

frankrizzo135
11-14-11, 06:49 PM
I paid about $1249 for Bridgestone Blizzard DM-V1 mounted on wheels and delivered in about 3 days.

MnMs
11-15-11, 08:12 PM
I paid about $1249 for Bridgestone Blizzard DM-V1 mounted on wheels and delivered in about 3 days.

Tell me more, where did you purchase the Bridgestones? Did the price include the wheels?

MLEO
11-19-11, 10:28 AM
I also have the 20" Chrome Clad wheels on my Premium and I picked up a set of Winter Hankook iPike RW11 tires that are rated very high from Discount Tire Direct and the price was absolutly amazing - $576 shipped - and because they didnt offer any 5 on 120 wheels to match, they took an additional $25 off for my troubles to make it $551. I bought the wheels from Tire Rack - 18x8 Sport Edition TX6 Silver that come with all the lug nuts and tool for $652 shipped. All in all $1228 and mounting of course would be extra. I didnt mind ordering from two different places to get a good deal.

MnMs
11-20-11, 06:28 PM
Thanks MLEO I will check with Tire Rack again. I like the look of the 6 on 120, TX6 wheel.

stevec5375
11-20-11, 06:50 PM
I gotta hand it to you people up north who put up with being snowed in all the time. I would go stark raving mad. I'm the basket case of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). When the sun doesn't shine, neither do I.

Good luck finding the right combo of tires. I can't imagine having to change my tires every year just because of the weather. I moved to TX in 1980, and while it has it share of problems (drought and fires), it doesn't compare to a northeastern winter. (At least to me.)

Now don't get me wrong. I love a nice snow next to a fireplace with a fine liquer. But to deal with having to dig myself out each morning before going to work is just more than I can handle.

Best to you northerners!

MLEO
11-20-11, 09:49 PM
My pleasure, MnMs and good luck....I wish we could have more warmth up here Stevec5375, but it's not that bad...for me anyway. I dont get too much lake effect snow and you can always put more layers on if it's that cold.... it's the Slush and salt mess and not being able to keep the car clean for long that gets to me!

TheCaptain
11-20-11, 10:22 PM
My pleasure, MnMs and good luck....I wish we could have more warmth up here Stevec5375, but it's not that bad...for me anyway. I dont get too much lake effect snow and you can always put more layers on if it's that cold.... it's the Slush and salt mess and not being able to keep the car clean for long that gets to me!

Isn't that the truth!

MLEO
11-22-11, 01:21 AM
I cant imagine how hard the Caribbean Blue Metalic is to keep clean.......hello 90 day car wash pass for me very soon!

EDMAN
11-24-11, 05:15 PM

Mr frankrizzo 135 , please let me know what the part # of tpms you have on your new wheel package. We have same model and i bought a pacakage (alloy wheels and tires size 18 but they are charging me $135 per tpms which already discounted from $175. They said that for 2011 SRX its a special TPMS. I would like to know the part # so that i can order one on line and probably it cheaper from web. thank you.

frankrizzo135
02-24-12, 05:33 PM
I didn't buy the tmp's for the winter tires.