: Installed mud flaps and HID fogs today..(pics)

murphy
11-05-11, 08:54 PM
Got busy and installed mud flaps and HID fog lights today..

For the mud flaps to accept the running boards I moved the running boards back 1". Running boards are mounted at two locations with two 5mm hex bolts each and after loosening a few sharp blows with the plastic mallet coaxed them back. I indexed them first with a pencil mark on the top side before relocating them back.They now open up to the flaps perfectly. Here are the flaps I opted for http://www.cloud-rider.com/market/index/page/advn_mf without the stainless plate. I hope to pick up some black large rivets and replace the shiny screws with them. Flaps are mounted 7.5" from ground.

The HID lights are these http://store.sharphid.com/product_p/shhdhid.htm from forum sponsor sharphid.com and I went with the same as my previous '07 with 55 watt 4300K . Color is close as you can see but slightly bluer. These make a HUGE improvement for winter driving.

A few pics:
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v27/p671057575-6.jpghttp://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v31/p1042293876-6.jpg
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v27/p735968715-6.jpghttp://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v35/p772894972-6.jpg

PreachRR
11-05-11, 11:19 PM
Wow you ain't playin!

murphy
11-06-11, 07:14 PM
Today added iPhone cradle...powered for charging and passport 9500ix with invisicord mirror plug power:
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v28/p697025880-6.jpg
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v33/p1049054162-6.jpg

hcvone
11-07-11, 08:12 AM
Looks good, tried the mud flaps again on my new trucks nut just didn't like the looks, so I wrapped the bottom of the truck in 3M plastic instead, I have indoor wash bays so I will see if I can live with all the debris down the sides

murphy
11-07-11, 09:59 AM
Looks good, tried the mud flaps again on my new trucks nut just didn't like the looks, so I wrapped the bottom of the truck in 3M plastic instead, I have indoor wash bays so I will see if I can live with all the debris down the sides

Thanks..Yes it changes the looks...really truck like now and I don't like the appearance either but can't live with the consequences of not having them either. Also I like that they collect the snow rather than so much accumulating along the sides so I can kick them off before coming into the garage rather than having it melt and make a heck of a mess.

ELUSIVE
11-07-11, 12:32 PM
Could you take a side angle shot with the mudflaps?
How much brighter are the HID fogs over stock? Do they generate more light at night?

hcvone
11-07-11, 02:32 PM
Way more light than stock with HID fogs, did the HID fogs 3 times, once burnt the housing out, two times no problems, used the same lights all 3 times

hcvone
11-07-11, 02:34 PM
Thanks..Yes it changes the looks...really truck like now and I don't like the appearance either but can't live with the consequences of not having them either. Also I like that they collect the snow rather than so much accumulating along the sides so I can kick them off before coming into the garage rather than having it melt and make a heck of a mess.

Yea it does make a mess with in floor heat, in ny I have a channel drain for the melting snow from the cars/trucks/snowmobiles and that works great

murphy
11-07-11, 03:19 PM
Elusive..As Carl mentioned the HID fogs are much much brighter..My truck is out getting Viper iphone starter so when I get it back I'll take a shot or two from the side for you..

Carl I have a drain also but the loads of snow seem to splatter when they plop to the floor..

hcvone
11-07-11, 04:50 PM
Elusive..As Carl mentioned the HID fogs are much much brighter..My truck is out getting Viper iphone starter so when I get it back I'll take a shot or two from the side for you..

Carl I have a drain also but the loads of snow seem to splatter when they plop to the floor..

Got to start the truck with an iPhone, because you CAN. Yea the floor heat turns it to water pretty fast and rolls into the drains so good, and with the heat the floor is always dry too, but it's sure no fun shoveling out the garage, done that enough

MrHolland
11-07-11, 06:31 PM
I enjoy starting my car with my phone,,,,,cause I can!!!!

murphy
11-07-11, 10:17 PM
I enjoy starting my car with my phone,,,,,cause I can!!!!

Which do you have.? Viper ? Pretty good ?

MrHolland
11-07-11, 10:41 PM
No I just use the Apple/Android OnStar app. I like it. It does all I need I need to do. I even locked my wife in the car when I was out of the country, luckily she had her key fob with her or she would've been trapped until I decided to let her out hahaa... I would like to have an aftermarket alarm but as funny as this sounds, I like my factory key fobs. If there was something that would integrate into the factory alarm and allow me to keep my fob then I'd consider upgrading.

ELUSIVE
11-07-11, 11:32 PM
Onstar app actually works really well.

murphy
11-07-11, 11:52 PM
Onstar app actually works really well.
Too bad not in an '09 tho

felixgun
11-08-11, 12:17 AM
Murphy the iPhone dock looks great!! What kind did you get? More info please!

murphy
11-08-11, 12:41 AM
Thanks,
It's a ProClip 915290 (works with bumper) that I fixed with double sided tape and chased the power wire down to the cigarette lighter and hardwired for full time charging and easy texting access (only when stopped of course) :)

2007XTSDub
11-08-11, 02:00 PM
Ipod holder looks good so do the HIDS in fogs I went with the same on my 2011Ext. May i ask why you did not go with the color matched mud flaps from GM?

murphy
11-08-11, 02:21 PM
Ipod holder looks good so do the HIDS in fogs I went with the same on my 2011Ext. May i ask why you did not go with the color matched mud flaps from GM?
Well I'm not sure if they would work with the running boards and actually I don't really like the looks..

hcvone
11-08-11, 03:12 PM
Well I'm not sure if they would work with the running boards and actually I don't really like the looks..

You can get them to fit and work even though GM says they will not work, they are just too big for me.

murphy
11-08-11, 03:13 PM
Yea exactly..too big

murphy
11-09-11, 12:30 AM
Got the Viper iphone start system in and 3m film completed..mirrors hood, lights, frontal front fenders and rocker panels, lower rear bumper.
Next comes Magna Charger :)

Doy5
11-09-11, 01:00 AM
Nice ride. Do you have a link to the exact HID fog lights you installed?

murphy
11-09-11, 01:09 AM
See post #1

MrHolland
11-09-11, 02:03 AM
Got the Viper iphone start system in and 3m film completed..mirrors hood, lights, frontal front fenders and rocker panels, lower rear bumper.
Next comes Magna Charger :)
As far as film, thats the coverage I have plus A Pillars and the section on the roof between the windshield and sunroof. I couldn't be happier with the film!!!!

murphy
11-09-11, 10:30 AM
Yeah I should have had those two additional areas done..where does it end tho ? Wrap the whole truck ? :)

lousy_investor
11-09-11, 04:34 PM
As far as film, thats the coverage I have plus A Pillars and the section on the roof between the windshield and sunroof. I couldn't be happier with the film!!!!

How does the film look these days, particularly on your Escalade? My ex-wife had it on her mini cooper and we hated it because the line was just too obvious to us. A friend of mine now has it on her Audi TT and I also don't like it because I can still see the line, and the corners weren't done too well either. I wouldn't mind putting them on the rocker panels given how dirty they get and dried up dirt is just the hardest to deal with. :D

murphy
11-09-11, 04:52 PM
They did a very good job I'd say and I'm critical. Most larger shops now have a laser cutting system and get the precise files from 3m so the fit is seldom an issue. The lines are what they are..on my White Diamond very subdued..yeah you can see them but I get some piece of mind having it in our country with such nasty road conditions especially in winter.

MrHolland
11-09-11, 05:00 PM
My film looks great!! Its all about the installer though. Color of the car also makes a huge difference. My car is black and thats the worst color, light colored cars hide it much better. There is a line on my hood that is noticeable to me because I know its there. No one else has really noticed it, especially if there is a thin layer of dust on the car. Bumper looks great and isnt noticeable, A pillars are completely wrapped and arent noticeable, and the rockers I had wrapped from the trim piece down so its not noticeable there either. The roof is high enough that you cant tell. Ive actually had people walk up to me and say "Wheres the clear bra, I though you were gonna have that installed." They are surprised when they look closely enough to see it and its there. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!