: An interesting technical read on our LED headlights

murphy
11-05-11, 01:32 AM
Ran across this looking for info on the DRL needed here in Canada. RIV (government body) makes DRL's mandatory and you cannot disable so any vehicles brought in from USA must have the LED module reprogrammed by dealer,,$260
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2009/03/

hcvone
11-05-11, 08:12 AM
So what that is saying is your trucks in Canada you can not turn off your DRL? We can do that by just twisting the headlight knob to off and turn off our DRL

murphy
11-05-11, 02:50 PM
That's correct. In Canada we cannot or are not suppose to be able to disable the DRL so if we bring in a US model where you can disable it must be made via GM dealer to no be disabled. This is accomplished by reprogramming the DCM and $260..DRL in Canada are mandatory and you could be fined for not having them.

hcvone
11-07-11, 08:21 AM
That's correct. In Canada we cannot or are not suppose to be able to disable the DRL so if we bring in a US model where you can disable it must be made via GM dealer to no be disabled. This is accomplished by reprogramming the DCM and $260..DRL in Canada are mandatory and you could be fined for not having them.

I saw that option on the GM Tech II tool, now I know what that is for. :) I like the option of being able to kill the DRL, although I never do, thanks for the info. :)

2_blue
03-19-12, 03:46 AM
I just imported my CTS and took it for RIV inspection which it failed due to the option of being able to turn off the DRL. Now, I don't think I ever will use it since the normal position is "Auto" ... but I would like to avoid paying the dealer $260 to disable this feature. Is there a way out?

murphy
03-19-12, 10:50 AM
I just imported my CTS and took it for RIV inspection which it failed due to the option of being able to turn off the DRL. Now, I don't think I ever will use it since the normal position is "Auto" ... but I would like to avoid paying the dealer $260 to disable this feature. Is there a way out?
I don't quite follow what you are implying...you'll never use it..?
The dealer must make the lighting conversion with their computer (it's a software thingy) ...all it does is disables the ability to turn off the drl...they still work as drl and the suto headlights works as normal..and btw I paid about that much also..

2_blue
03-19-12, 11:07 AM
I meant that I won't really be using the feature that allows me to disable the DRLs so it feels like a total waste to get that feature disabled by the dealer. So I wanted to know if there was a way to get the inspection passed without getting the DRL-turn-off-feature disabled. I see a few people on the form who were able to do that.

FredS
03-19-12, 08:05 PM
Disconnect the switch for inspection maybe?

murphy
03-19-12, 08:26 PM
I meant that I won't really be using the feature that allows me to disable the DRLs so it feels like a total waste to get that feature disabled by the dealer. So I wanted to know if there was a way to get the inspection passed without getting the DRL-turn-off-feature disabled. I see a few people on the form who were able to do that.

Nope I really doubt you'll find anyone to pass it..especially not CDN Tire who does the majority of these inspections...and in Alberta you also need and out of province in addition to Federal

BlownEscalade
03-19-12, 11:05 PM
Mine passed and all I did was disconnect the plug on the back of the headlight sw. By doing that your DRL are on all the time and hids come on at night. You just can't use your dimmer and fog lights. But to pass inspection who cares. Then after inspection plug it all back it an everything works. You can drive stealth mode at night hahahaha

murphy
03-20-12, 02:30 AM
Mine passed and all I did was disconnect the plug on the back of the headlight sw. By doing that your DRL are on all the time and hids come on at night. You just can't use your dimmer and fog lights. But to pass inspection who cares. Then after inspection plug it all back it an everything works. You can drive stealth mode at night hahahaha

Gheeze where were you two months ago :)

BlownEscalade
03-20-12, 03:46 AM
Lol sorry :)

But the yeah the DRL are on automatically as a fail safe feature. That is why the light sw sits on the auto setting and to turn it off you turn it to off but it bounces back to auto but with no lights. When you unplug the sw, all you disconnect is the "turn off" feature (plus your fogs, dome, etc) but for inspection it's perfect. Passes and they can't say anything.