: Want AUX or XM, but XM receiver isn't working?

elwesso
11-04-11, 10:49 AM
First modification I want to do on my V is to add some sort of Aux-in. I've done plenty of searching around about the various units, however they all have one thing in common: They require going through the XM receiver.

That's all fine and good, however my XM receiver does not appear to work. When I cycle through the bands, XM does not come up as one of the options, just AM, FM1 and FM2. After doing some reading, it appears that this is a common problem. Most of the old threads I dug up from 08/09/10 said "take it back to the dealer", and they would replace the unit. I am assuming by now the warranty is up on the XM unit itself, and I'd have to outright replace the unit.. I've seen there are updated units that are apparently more reliable, but I have not seen this as a "common denominator".

I read that the H.U. sometimes has to be programmed to "turn on" XM, but I have one time seen XM show up when cycling through the bands, so that leads me to believe that the problem is with the XM unit, not the HU itself. The HU was also recently replaced under warranty.

My goal is to have XM in my car. I have tossed around the idea of activating the XM in the car, or using my existing external radio. I like the latter idea so I don't have to pay for a seperate subscription, and also the pause, rewind, and fast forward features.

Does anyone know of a way to "trick" the HU into thinking the XM receiver is there, when its not actually there? What do you guys think is my best option. Right now I'm running my external XM radio with FM modulation.... :angry: I'd really like to just bypass the XM unit all together in the car rather than going "through" it.

JimmyH
11-04-11, 02:25 PM
Adding an aux line does not require XM.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/237768-how-aux-line-cts-without-sat.html

elwesso
11-04-11, 02:49 PM
very interesting, thanks Jimmy. Interesting theory, basically overrides what the head unit is "sending" to the amp. Thanks for the link.

JimmyH
11-04-11, 03:05 PM
There's lots of good info on cadillacfaq.com as well. You should look through it all.

elwesso
11-07-11, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have a reference thread to what the proper XM radio module P/N is? or any general information on the XM unit itself?

Edit: Found this thread, will check out the part number listed and see how it corresponds.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/200659-xm-satellite-radio-disappeared.html#post2345179

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/97321-xm-signal-disappearances.html

RoverGuy7
11-08-11, 09:04 PM
try pulling the fuse for your radio for a few minutes and putting it back in... my usaspec ipod kit has caused this to happen, and just resetting the system has taken care of it... 10amp in the left fuse box under the rear seat

elwesso
11-08-11, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried removing the fuse 2 different times today for about 15 mins each time and it didn't work.

If I wanted to replace my XM module what are my options?