: 94 Deville Concours PCM Codes P041 and P119

postman2000
11-02-11, 11:47 PM
Hello all, I have a 94 Deville with the northstar and I am having some problems with it.. I believe the codes are for a cam sensor and shorted fuel injector.. I replaced the cam sensor and the car still runs like crap.. There is also a tremondous amount of a whitish grey smoke coming from the tailpipe accompanied by a raw fuel smell.. There is also what appears to be raw fuel in the exhaust.. A friend who is a mechanic thinks it may be a Map sensor..What type of syptoms do Map sensors usually give when they are bad? Can anybody tell me how to test the injectors and Map sensor? I appreciate everyones help..

Ranger
11-03-11, 12:27 AM
Sounds more like a stuck open fuel injector or leaky FPR to me. There is a tutorial for checking both in the Tech Tips section.

postman2000
11-07-11, 02:39 AM
Does anyone have a flowchart for diagnosing codes P041 and P119 for the 94 Deville with a 4.6 ( Concours )..I have found one for a 4.9 but it is different..

postman2000
11-07-11, 04:56 PM
I cant figure out how to get that plastic piece off..the one that sits on top of the injectors ..it looks like it has some kind of snaps on it..not sure..i dont wanna break it..The piece im speaking says "relieve fuel system pressure before further disaassembly"...something to that effect...

Ranger
11-07-11, 11:26 PM
Relieve the fuel pressure from the fuel rail service port (schreader valve). Just like letting air out of a tire. Just hold a rag over the valve to soak up the gas (about an ounce or less).

94CaddyConcours
01-07-12, 10:32 PM
Postman how did it go?

postman2000
01-08-12, 10:48 AM
It turned out to be one of the fuel injectors..which may i add all tested good with an ohm meter..I replaced all 8 of them and the car runs good again..Still have not got rid of the Cam sensor code though..Put a new Delphi sensor in and still have the same code.. Maybe its the Ignition Module? The code says no cam reference signal from ignition module...

Submariner409
01-08-12, 11:26 AM
"car runs good again....." - But does it feel a bit sluggish, with some decrease in fuel mileage ?? If the CMP signal is erratic or missing then the ignition system defaults to a fixed timing setting - 10 degrees BTDC or so - and the engine never gets the benefit of timing advance at low load/highway speeds. (There is practically NO advance when doing hard acceleration or heavy load pulling.)

You need to remove the coils and ICM and check the base contacts, ground wire, and the ICM plate itself for cracks.

postman2000
01-08-12, 02:18 PM
Yes Sub I guess you're right..It is a bit sluggish and poor fuel economy.. So in your opinion it may be a cracked plate or bad connection? I am leaning towards replacing the ICM as I believe it is the original one..I will check all the connections as well as the mounting plate while im at it..

94CaddyConcours
01-08-12, 02:37 PM
When you replaced the injectors, were they brand new? What brand did you use?

94CaddyConcours
01-09-12, 10:53 PM
Solved the reason why I have P119. #8 connector to fuel injector insulation came off and causes a short which lead to having the injector stay open and dumping fuel when intake valve is close and giving bad gas mileage. Also I suspect the fuel pressure regulator wasn't line up correctly and give it a bad seal which causes fuel to spray into the intake manifold.
My injector all gunk around the nozzle. Need clean with carb choke/cleaner?
Also does anyone happen to know whats fuel injector that is compatible with N* engine. Prefer same spec, not looking for performance.
Also, got the fuel rail out with the injectors, is there a proper way to remove the injector from the rail? It seem quite snug in there or is there a clip I need to remove to pull the injector from the rail?

postman2000
01-10-12, 01:33 PM
Hey Caddy Concours, those injectors just pull out..What I did was use a flat screwdriver between the injector and the plastic part that it sits in..I got 4 used ones from the local junk yard..$40..When putting those things back in make sure to put some oil on the o rings before you put them back in..wiggle them back in..Also..very important..The fuel pressure regulator line is very hard to install on these 93-94 motors while its mounted..heres what i did...I popped out the regulator then i pushed the line on the regulator and then I pushed the regulator back down into the fuel rail with the line connected to it..Much better way to do it..Make sure that the fuel line is all the way on the regulator..Also that cover on these 93 94 motors is functional..if you are not replacing the gasket on that cover you need to clean it up real good and put a nice thin bead of silicone around the whole perimeter of the cover..if you do not you can have a possible vacuum leak there..

94CaddyConcours
01-11-12, 02:03 AM
After cleaning the injectors and putting a new injector connector engine ran fine until I replaced the spark plug wires. I must have cross the wire or what not. Look over it twice and double check, Maybe my IQ is low at this hour of the time. Something to do tomorrow.

94CaddyConcours
01-12-12, 02:49 AM
Got the spark plug wire resolved. Car run very well with good mileage. Only problem now is my instrument cluster doesn't turn on. Got something to with IO22, Dimming Potentionmeter Problem. I guess its from jump starting too much because of the dead battery. Sometime while driving it would flick on for a quick milisecond. Got the service manual but seem clueless after looking at it

postman2000
01-14-12, 10:06 AM
Glad you got that injector problem solved..With the price of gas now no one can afford to have unburnt gas going out the tailpipe..Lol

94CaddyConcours
01-15-12, 01:45 AM
Good thing I did. Before I got mostly up to 13 MPG highway. That's why I don't drive it to often. Now its about some where around 25-26MPG. Twice what I used to get. But I think my fuel MPG should be a little higher because I hardly go over 65MPH. I was hoping somewhere near the high 20's.

Ranger
01-15-12, 03:04 PM
25-26 is about right depending on conditions.