: ECM Question

Beta
11-02-11, 01:51 PM
Finally after months of screwing around I got into the dealership to finally get to the root cause of why my speedometer/odometer stopped working after my trans rebuild (after replacing speed sensores, harnesses, etc.)

Tech tells me that the ECM shorted out in relation to the speed output, all of the signal going in is fine, gauge cluster is fine, the ecm just isn't spitting out the info to the cluster. Fine to drive- but Caddy wants $700 for the ecm and 2 hrs to program.

Is there a better/smarter(cheaper) way to go about replacing the ecm?

Oh, and my radiator is leaking- again. Im just out of warranty. They want $450 and 3 hours for that P.O.S.... my service contact didn't exactly have a good answer as to why I would put in a known faulty part again on my nickel this time.

CadzillaTN
11-02-11, 04:17 PM
How long ago was the current radiator replaced under warranty?

All warranty repairs have a1 year,1 time replacement guarantee even if you are out of warranty at time of second failure.

Beta
11-02-11, 06:02 PM
over a year unfortunately. just ridiculous that im on multiple driveshafts, motormounts, radiators, on and on...if you saw the gm warranty work printout for my car you would die- its like 20 pages

kjr6306
11-02-11, 06:15 PM
Search around, I think somone had an extra ecm for sale recently.

Houdini
11-02-11, 07:32 PM
just order one from jesse at wait4me performance. 160 bucks or so and even tuned if you want it! Can't go wrong.

Naf
11-03-11, 07:25 AM
I think that was for the PCMs not ECMs..

Ebay is your friend.

Best thing is to get a tuner to copy your tune, then do a full dump into your new ECM, it will take 20mins tops...

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-03-11, 11:56 AM
Beta,
If you would send me your contact info (name, address, phone number, email address) along with VIN, mileage and the name of the dealership that you are working with. I would like to look into this and see if there is anything I can do for you.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Beta
11-03-11, 12:18 PM
Thanks Breanne, be sitting down when you look up the records to see what ive gone through.

Beta
11-03-11, 12:29 PM
I dont have enough posts to send you a PM apparently

1g6dn56s550207275 mileage stuck on 109279 Dimmitt at 333 Gandy Blvd. St. Petersburg, FL 33742

Is there a better way to send you the rest of the info that I dont want to have out in the open?

RippyPartsDept
11-03-11, 12:43 PM
beta, you can email me the info and i'll PM it to Breanne

RippyPartsDept
11-03-11, 12:45 PM
or you can go on a posting spree and get yourself the PM abilities
(it's a moving target to keep the spammers on their toes but simply put: the more you participate in the community the more likely you'll have PM abilities)

Beta
11-03-11, 01:11 PM
I totally get the point, Ive been reading here for months, just haven't had a lot to contribute other than my experience with enhanced customs and the driveshaft not fitting without modification, and the BMR wheelhop kit bar not fitting aftermarket exhausts.

And to think I bought this car because it would be cheaper to repair than a BMW (still true, but damn) id expect to get more than 40k mi out of a T-56, 30k out of a radiator, 30k out of motor mounts, etc. I could have had a lot of sweet parts by now (or at least not a ton of stuff on my credit card!)

Beta
11-03-11, 01:16 PM
Chris, email sent for forwarding (random postcount post)

RippyPartsDept
11-03-11, 01:23 PM
your car must be an anomaly ... an outlier ... it's bound to happen statistically ... just sucks when it's you :(

also, i got your email and i'm forwarding the info on to breanne

RippyPartsDept
11-03-11, 01:25 PM
also, just to be clear that I understand what you've posted ...

Dimmitt is your dealer?

and currently your odometer is stuck?

Beta
11-03-11, 01:40 PM
Dimmitt is where ive been going for service, it also was serviced at Massey in Orlando many times previously.

The odometer is stuck because the speed isn't reading and advancing it due to the ecm not sending the signal out to the cluster- everything is fine and checked out ecm back to the trans/speed sensor via the tech at dealership.

RippyPartsDept
11-03-11, 01:45 PM
yeah ok... just making sure i understood...

i did pull up your service history and it only goes back to mid-2006 with around 26,000 miles
(i think it reached some sort of maximum number of entries that can be retrieved by the system i'm using)

i'll email it back to you so you can have it ... also i'll send the build sheet in case you don't have one

Beta
11-03-11, 01:54 PM
Thanks a ton Chris... pretty impressive laundry list, dont you think?

RippyPartsDept
11-03-11, 02:19 PM
Yes... yes indeed ...

Beta
11-08-11, 11:33 AM
I just re-read the printout from the dealer, it actually says "Needs Powertrain Control Module for Shorted VSS Driver"

Are PCM and ECM the same thing?

RippyPartsDept
11-08-11, 11:55 AM
PCM = Powertrain Control Module

ECM = Engine Control Module

typically if the car has a PCM it does not have an ECM (or a TCM - trans control mod)
and if it doesn't have a PCM then it does have an ECM and a TCM

basically a PCM is a ECM+TCM in one module

hence the Powertrain terminology

Beta
11-08-11, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know if this is this the same thing Wait4Me sells? He hasn't responded to my email.

RippyPartsDept
11-08-11, 02:46 PM
W4M would be selling a PCM - these cars have PCMs ...

dangrus
11-08-11, 10:27 PM
Verify the address that you used for wait4me, at one time only the wife's email was getting checked. The other account appeared to be ignored for months or something. As for getting the PCM replaced. That's the way I would go.

dangrus
11-08-11, 10:29 PM
Holy crap I can PM again!!!!!!!

Sorry for the hijack. :tisk:

Beta
11-09-11, 11:57 AM
i used the yahoo off of his website, from my gmail and yahoo accounts.

ill try his wifes i guess. a bit frustrating so far.

Houdini
11-09-11, 03:22 PM
Always call him... don't bother with email. Try different times of the day for calling. He is usually busy and extremely hard to get in touch with. Pretty much a one man shop.

Beta
12-01-11, 01:06 PM
Well got the new ECM...and it didn't fix the speedometer. Glad I didn't spend $1037 at the dealership but now I am even more confused as to the solution.