: Caution with your FOB

inspectorudy
11-01-11, 11:46 AM
I experienced something that I didn't even know was possible yesterday with my fob. I usually clip it to my belt loop on the side of my trousers with a carabiner and never think about it. But today as I was clipping it on the black part fell to the ground. It was't broken but I was surprised that it came apart so easily. It turns out that there is a small button at the top/side of the fob that disconnects the rest of the fob from the hook at the top along with some sort of a key. Be careful because all I did was squeeze the fob when I was squeezing the carabiner and off it came.

cadigirlchicago2
11-01-11, 12:50 PM
I use that feature when I valet my car - you can lock valuables in your glove box and still have your key. The fob still allows them to start the car.

Huey Driver
11-01-11, 02:01 PM
and the key will allow you to unlock and open the driver door if the fob doesnt work (battery dead on either fob or car, etc). :yup:

inspectorudy
11-01-11, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info.

sube5186
11-01-11, 05:42 PM
Yes, your salesperson was lacking. They should have explained all of this to you when you took delivery.

One of these should solve the problem.

http://www.thejacketstore.com/servlet/the-233/Cadillac-Smart-Key-Keyless/Detail

Sube

algiorda
11-01-11, 06:51 PM
I have the Jacket on mine and when the service manager at the dealer saw it, he gave me compliments because it prevents that very issue.

While were on that subject, do NOT drive with the FOB in your POCKET!!!

I had the fob in my pocket one day and the entire instrument cluster went nuts; like it rebooted or was first started. I lost all my personalization. Apparently, a key sequence was "butt dialed" in my pocket that reset the cluster.

allgm
11-01-11, 07:20 PM
Thanks Sube, I just ordered two. Should save wear & tear on the FOB.

inspectorudy
11-02-11, 12:22 AM
I also just ordered two. I'm still not clear if you can start the car if the remote is totally dead or not? If you are sitting in your car and the remote is dead can the key be used some how to start the car? Would carrying a spare remote battery be the answer?

macklobell
11-02-11, 07:41 AM
My 2012 SRX Luxury key fob will only start and unlock the door around 16 feet from the vehicle...I remember my 2010 SRX Performance performing this much farther away...Can there be an issue with my key fob? Anyone else notice the same on their 2012?

Huey Driver
11-02-11, 07:45 AM
When the salesman handed me my fob, the first thing I asked was about a key. :hmm:
I cant remember exactly why, but I had to use one to open my previous trailblazer, although it always used a key to start (no pushbutton). That was when I first noticed no keyhole in the passenger door. Since he just handed me the fob (no obvious key), I thought there should be SOMETHING that would at least open the door.
Perhaps someone here knows more, but I'd guess that a dead car battery is more likely than the fob dying. With the fob, you'd get a weaker signal (ie, have to get closer and closer to open doors or start) as the battery dies, but if something goes screwy and a light gets left on and the car battery dies suddenly, you at least want to be able to open the door to pop the hood.
But that brings up a good point, how to even tow with a dead battery, if you cant take it out of park... After checking the manual, there are directions for manually releasing the shifter lock. Beyond that, I think the best having a key does is allow you to open the door (and lock the glove compartment for valet).

sube5186
11-02-11, 09:12 AM
The range of operation for the remote is 195 ft., at least with the 2010 model. I can't imagine they would have changed this for 2012. Keep in mind this is "line of sight". If the signal is going through walls, windows, etc., expect the range to be less. The DIC warns you of a low battery in your remote. Even with no battery installed at all the remote can still start the car. You lay the remote in the little indentation at the bottom of the center console and the car detects the chip inside. In this scenario the retractable key inside is used to unlock the driver's door.

Not trying to chastise anyone, but everyone really should read their manuals to get the most out of this vehicle. If you don't, there are dozens of things you'll likely never discover on your own. I damn near memorized the manual and after two years I'm still finding miniscule features not even mentioned in the manual.

Sube

Huey Driver
11-02-11, 10:10 AM
I agree with you on the manual, although, as you say, every time I read it, I find something new.
For all I remember, the salesman may have told me, there was so much stuff we went over. And he was pretty proud of the certifications he got from GM for keeping up to date on all the new stuff. He said they did monthly training sessions on the features and quarterly testing on how to show (for sales and delivery) the functions...

sube5186
11-02-11, 11:37 AM
I agree with you on the manual, although, as you say, every time I read it, I find something new.
For all I remember, the salesman may have told me, there was so much stuff we went over. And he was pretty proud of the certifications he got from GM for keeping up to date on all the new stuff. He said they did monthly training sessions on the features and quarterly testing on how to show (for sales and delivery) the functions...

My salesman was totally inept. His lack of knowledge was obvious. Rather than admit he didn't know the answers to my questions, he just flat out made stuff up off the top of his head. Some salespeople are lazy and don't really think they need to know their cars inside and out. Their only aim is to bamboozle you into buying a car so they can move on to the next customer. Some of the younger salespeople take their jobs seriously and make a concerted effort to know the car's features. If I sold cars for a living I'd make it a point to study all of the owner's manuals of every car I sold. I'd never want to be in the position of having a prospective customer ask me a question that I didn't know the answer to. That would make me look and feel incompetent.

The bottom line is don't rely on any of them to inform you. Educate yourself. We live in the information age. If you can read, have a computer with Internet access and know how to use a search engine, it's pretty easy to find out almost anything.

Sube

inspectorudy
11-02-11, 12:01 PM
I must be dense but I cannot find where it says that the fob will start the car "Even if the fob battery is dead". I read where it says that if the battery is weak place it in the detent in the center box. Maybe someone could quote a page number for me. I'm not sure how the car "Detects" a chip if the chip has no power going to it.
Thanks

sube5186
11-02-11, 12:23 PM
I must be dense but I cannot find where it says that the fob will start the car "Even if the fob battery is dead". I read where it says that if the battery is weak place it in the detent in the center box. Maybe someone could quote a page number for me. I'm not sure how the car "Detects" a chip if the chip has no power going to it.
Thanks

You're right. I went back and re-read that section. It does say "weak" and not dead, so I'm not sure if it'll work with no battery. I think I'll try it once my battery dies. I don't want to risk the remote losing its pairing by trying it now.

Sube

xrs01
11-02-11, 12:25 PM
...Not trying to chastise anyone, but everyone really should read their manuals...

Sube

RTFM.

Idealistically, they should.

Realistically, they don't.

inspectorudy
11-02-11, 05:07 PM
I hate to break this to you but some of us have lives and reading a 200 page manual on how to operate a f**king car is not high on my list. They went out of their way to NOT be intuitive about most of the things in this car. Like the windshield wiper switch/stalk. Think about it, if you want to turn on the washers in the FRONT why you pull BACK on the stalk. And if you want to turn on the REAR washer you push FORWARD on the stalk. On previous GM cars to adjust the steering wheel you would pull aft on the lock to adjust the wheel. Now you must push down on the lock even if you want to raise the wheel. These are little things but it seems there is no one at GM who is even aware of ergonomics. This ain't no Chevy and we should not expect it to be one but strangely enough I got a loane,r from my dealer, of a Chevy SUV and the mirrors had little convex sections molded into them and the total mirror was twice as large as the tiny mirrors on the SRX. You would think if Chevy could do that then Caddy could afford to do the same. I have already written about the front spoiler, the cup holder and how if you ever spilled anything into it you cannot clean it out, the nav display and it's pale yellow roads in the daylight mode that are unreadable, the auto seat that goes forward before you can get into the car seat (I did hear from another car guy about why some other brands do that but no one at GM knew why), the back up camera and display from a dark garage into a bright outside where the display stays dark until the back up is complete and finally the center console and its scatter-the-bread-crumbs switches all over the map. Did anyone ever sit down and analyze how a driver would use these switches? If it weren't for the wheel switches there would probably be more dead SRX owners than any other brand. IMHO

stevec5375
11-02-11, 05:39 PM
I hate to break this to you but some of us have lives and reading a 200 page manual on how to operate a f**king car is not high on my list. They went out of their way to NOT be intuitive about most of the things in this car. Like the windshield wiper switch/stalk. Think about it, if you want to turn on the washers in the FRONT why you pull BACK on the stalk. And if you want to turn on the REAR washer you push FORWARD on the stalk. On previous GM cars to adjust the steering wheel you would pull aft on the lock to adjust the wheel. Now you must push down on the lock even if you want to raise the wheel. These are little things but it seems there is no one at GM who is even aware of ergonomics. This ain't no Chevy and we should not expect it to be one but strangely enough I got a loane,r from my dealer, of a Chevy SUV and the mirrors had little convex sections molded into them and the total mirror was twice as large as the tiny mirrors on the SRX. You would think if Chevy could do that then Caddy could afford to do the same. I have already written about the front spoiler, the cup holder and how if you ever spilled anything into it you cannot clean it out, the nav display and it's pale yellow roads in the daylight mode that are unreadable, the auto seat that goes forward before you can get into the car seat (I did hear from another car guy about why some other brands do that but no one at GM knew why), the back up camera and display from a dark garage into a bright outside where the display stays dark until the back up is complete and finally the center console and its scatter-the-bread-crumbs switches all over the map. Did anyone ever sit down and analyze how a driver would use these switches? If it weren't for the wheel switches there would probably be more dead SRX owners than any other brand. IMHO

As a former tech support person, I can tell you that most users who call in with "obvious" questions get the "RTFM" whisper across the aisle to a fellow supporter. It's nice to know that part of the high price you pay for the car you are driving is so that someone can RTFM the manual to you over the phone, only in different words so you don't get pissed that we are RTFMing the manual to you.

Not trying to be provocative or piss you off, but I think you get my drift. Ergonomics can only go so far with our limited technology. Perhaps some day we'll have cars that look like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. Until then, you're stuck with RTFM. ;)

sube5186
11-02-11, 07:14 PM
I hate to break this to you but some of us have lives and reading a 200 page manual on how to operate a f**king car is not high on my list.

Well, I too have a life, yet I manage to squeeze in time to RTFM. I do so just so I don't get on this forum and embarrass myself by asking ridiculous questions. You spend thousands and thousands of dollars to buy a car and then refuse to spend as much time as it takes to read the average newspaper learning how to use it?

Sube

stevec5375
11-02-11, 07:37 PM
Well, I too have a life, yet I manage to squeeze in time to RTFM. I do so just so I don't get on this forum and embarrass myself by asking ridiculous questions. You spend thousands and thousands of dollars to buy a car and then refuse to spend as much time as it takes to read the average newspaper learning how to use it?

Sube

By your own post, I got to thinking. Are they part of the the 1% or 99%. And I don't want to hear about the 53%. You people are a waste of good fodder in a discussion.

inspectorudy
11-02-11, 09:01 PM
I read the manual through once retaining the stuff that appeared germane to what I needed to know as I am learning the new car. RTFM and tell me why the driver's seat goes forward when the door is opened. I have heard from another user but NO ONE I talked to at GM knew why. My dealer sure as hell didn't know why.Sube thought the dead battery in the fob would start the car. It won't. How many more items do we ask about that no GM tech can answer? I called the GM tech line to ask about the stupid seat and she read me the chapter in the manual. No answer! There are many things that users will discover that obviously GM didn't have time to try out before going into production. You may think it's funny or clever to ridicule forum members but it's not to bright if you pants are unzipped. That's a metaphor for you GM types.

sube5186
11-02-11, 09:54 PM
Tell me why the driver's seat goes forward when the door is opened. I have heard from another user but NO ONE I talked to at GM knew why. My dealer sure as hell didn't know why.

My original comment about the owner's manual was directed toward those who ask a question on the forum simply because they don't want to expend the effort to open the manual. If you already tried to find an answer in the manual but were unsuccessful, then this does NOT apply to you. As for "GM Types", I'm not sure if I was included in that or not. However, those who have been on here from the beginning know that I'm nobody's "type". I've freely criticized and commended GM whenever applicable. I don't hold any loyalty to any one brand.

Now that we've dispensed with the trivialities, can we get back to the original purpose of this forum......solving problems? I didn't read your original post on your seat problem. Did you turn off the "Easy Exit" feature in the Config Menu?

Sube

inspectorudy
11-03-11, 03:02 PM
Yes I did turn it off but by doing so I had to give up a feature that I paid for because of a design that had a one time safety concern for a borrower of my car issue, (As stated by a forum reader it was done so that if a big person borrowed your car and used your wife's fob and he was a big guy, he could be crushed against the wheel because the car would think it was the little woman). The sad thing was that my dealer and the GM customer service line could NOT tell me why it did what it did. Look, until the bailout of GM I had nothing but respect for their products. I traded a 2002 Tahoe, probably the best car I have ever owned, in on my SRX. I had been a Cadillac owner many years ago but had to give up on them as their products got to be so undependable. I bought a 1986 De Ville that had a thump in the front end and it turned out to be the the FACTORY had left out one of the main bolts that held the front suspension on the car! I had two little children and would not give Cadillac another chance to kill my entire family. I had big issues after I switched to Ford and discovered their total lack of any concern for their repeat customers. I had three new Ford products when the transmission on my SHO came loose. It had been recalled by Ford to replace a washer in the tranny and the idiots forgot to tighten the four bolts that held the tranny onto the engine. Ford refused any responsibility for the problem. It was GM for me after that. I do not hate GM or it's workers but feel that a company that has smelled the breath of doom might have a better attitude towards the buying public. It appears to be business as usual. My dealer is great and works with me on every issue. One word of advice to all of you that have the SRX. If you plan to own this car for more than the warranty you had better get an extension on the TOTAL car because when any of this electronics stuff fails you will not believe how much it will cost to fix. On my Tahoe that was nine years old and totally trouble free I got a "Check Auto Ride" light on the dash. I spent over $1200 and the light was still on when I traded it in. Google Tahoe/GM autoride light and you will see what a nightmare it is. That one system has three computers serving it and about twenty sensors plus two $400 each shock absorbers and a $600 air compressor. If the car will not give a good code then the GM manual says to start replacing parts. The SRX doesn't have the autoride but it has a ton of electronics that will fail with time. Don't wait get it today.

sube5186
11-03-11, 03:38 PM
OK, I did some digging. Go into the Config Menu/Vehicle/Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting/Memory Remote Recall. If this is checked, uncheck it. This may have been turned on, which associates memory seat positions, mirrors & pedals with one specific remote.

Remote Memory Recall

This allows the Remote Memory
Recall feature to be turned on or off.
Remote Memory Recall is when the
memorized settings will be recalled
when you remotely unlock the
vehicle and open the driver door.

Sube

Jake2010
11-03-11, 05:24 PM
You're a good guy Sube... I've read portions of the manual but probably learned more about the car by simply reading your posts! You are very helpful - Thanks! :thumbsup:

Maximumkk
11-03-11, 05:39 PM
I don't own an SRX (yet), but I suspect the remote will start the vehicle when the battery is dead. It most likely has a proximity circuit that allows communication without having an internal power source, but only works when placed in the indent in the console. Similar to the imbedded chips in new credit cards. The chip cards have no battery but they receive and communicate via "induction" power circuits when placed within a few inches of a reader.

Just IMHO.

sube5186
11-03-11, 06:14 PM
I don't own an SRX (yet), but I suspect the remote will start the vehicle when the battery is dead. It most likely has a proximity circuit that allows communication without having an internal power source, but only works when placed in the indent in the console. Similar to the imbedded chips in new credit cards. The chip cards have no battery but they receive and communicate via "induction" power circuits when placed within a few inches of a reader.

Just IMHO.

Interesting. This makes sense because your battery could be weak enough to be effectively dead, which is the equivalent of having no battery installed. If this happened and the remote required at least a "weak" battery installed, you'd be stranded. Like I said, I do intend to try this whenever my battery gets too weak to work. This will probably be years off, so don't hold your breath waiting for my test results.

Sube

sube5186
11-03-11, 06:19 PM
You're a good guy Sube... I've read portions of the manual but probably learned more about the car by simply reading your posts! You are very helpful - Thanks! :thumbsup:

I appreciate the kind words. I do try. :bouncy:

cadigirlchicago2
11-03-11, 07:06 PM
Not trying to chastise anyone, but everyone really should read their manuals to get the most out of this vehicle. If you don't, there are dozens of things you'll likely never discover on your own. I damn near memorized the manual and after two years I'm still finding miniscule features not even mentioned in the manual.

Sube

Sube,

This is why we love ya so much - you are a wealth of information! I have gotten so many valuable tid bits from you and I'm always thankful! I came to this forum to 54ou/rget information. Being a woman it's hard alot of the time since vehicles just aren't really our "thing". I come to the guys because well, many of you are experts in this area and know stuff that I wouldn't even think to ask. I always learn SOMETHING here to help with my car!

:thumbsup:

Huey Driver
11-03-11, 07:39 PM
Ok, I tried using my car today with no fob...

I opened the fob (using the 'replace battery' instruction) and separated it into two halves. The circuit board was in one, the battery in another. No contacts with the battery appeared to do anything in that half, but I admit, I didnt completely take the battery out. I opened the door with the key... No alarm (first hurdle gone!). I put the two halves of the fob in the indent (not knowing which might have the 'magic parts'). I pressed the start button. I might have just 'tapped' it, but no response, so I pressed again and the engine started. I was able to put the car in gear and drive away. I snapped the pieces back together and the fob is working fine.

As mentioned above, this is probably like the PASS key system; a passive ID system that authenticates when in the indent. No power necessary to start and run.

sube5186
11-03-11, 08:41 PM
Glad to help, cadigirlchicago2. :bouncy:

Great job, Huey Driver. You saved me the work of testing this myself. :dance:

Sube

Maximumkk
11-03-11, 11:37 PM
Bingo! Figured as much!

Nice link to the Pass-key. Never thought of those.

inspectorudy
11-04-11, 01:34 AM
Thanks for testing it out for all of us!

sube5186
11-04-11, 08:58 AM
inpectorudy, did the Memory Remote Recall work?

Sube

RippyPartsDept
11-04-11, 09:53 AM
By your own post, I got to thinking. Are they part of the the 1% or 99%. And I don't want to hear about the 53%. You people are a waste of good fodder in a discussion.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HVNgalwpF5U/TqnAN2ah0dI/AAAAAAAAA_g/7N-m4J7y48o/s500/309764_827518309997_48610646_37617271_357469386_n. jpeg

Just IMHO.
I always imagined these (and the pass-key style) to be either an RFID chip or a similar/custom system

also, the memory seat feature has been this way on GM cars for a long time...
the idea is that when you unlock the car the seat has already been moved to your position
(now that they have introduced the 'exit position' feature it will move every time instead of only when the other memory position was used)

i'm pretty sure that the settings in post #24 will stop that from happening - it's a trade off, i guess

inspectorudy
11-04-11, 12:27 PM
I understand why they would do the entry seat movement when the door is opened because of a fellow forum reader not from GM. It makes sense that the seat could crush a big fat person who borrowed your car with your tiny wife's fob. I have unchecked the auto return part of the seat movement but I lost the auto exit function. Maybe I didn't do it correctly but it seems that you could have the auto exit function without the auto return function. I do like the exit function and it keeps the scuff marks to a minimum on the door panel. BTW has anyone come out with a clear protection cover for the nice Cadillac door jams? It seems a shame to have to be so careful to not scratch them up.

TheCaptain
11-04-11, 02:09 PM
I also just ordered two. I'm still not clear if you can start the car if the remote is totally dead or not? If you are sitting in your car and the remote is dead can the key be used some how to start the car? Would carrying a spare remote battery be the answer?

Starting the Vehicle with a Low Transmitter Battery
If the transmitter battery is weak, the DIC may display “No Remote Detected” when you try to start the vehicle. The “Replace Battery in Remote Key” message may also be displayed at this time. To start the vehicle:
1. Open the center console storage area and the storage tray.
2. Place the transmitter in the transmitter pocket.
3. With the vehicle in P (Park) or N (Neutral), press the brake pedal and the START button. Replace the transmitter battery as soon as possible.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/Cadillac/SRXKeyFobDead.png

:D

inspectorudy
11-04-11, 04:55 PM
I'm aware of the fob start detent but in my 2011 manual it does not mention the word "Dead" anywhere, only weak or low. I hope you are right and it does work with a dead battery but I would hate to find out. Can OnStar start your car without the fob? Here is the page from my 2011 manual. BTW, I got the two covers for my two fobs today in the mail. They are a nice fit and do not add much to the size and are similar to the cell phone rubber covers. I got them the same color as my car.

inspectorudy
11-04-11, 05:25 PM
Here is the new cover for my fob. The top edge is so soft that you can remove the "Key" if valet parking is a concern.