: Help! Possible clutch/flywheel problem!

vcaddy06
10-31-11, 08:22 PM
Hey guys, I've tried searching the forums about this with no result. I'm having a problem with 1st gear start off's. No let me just say that I know it's normal to have a little shudder when letting the clutch out. But lately and for the past month or so (and it will only do this after starting the car cold), letting the clutch out when leaving a stop light or sign makes the whole car jolt back and forth kinda violently and I know that is not normal at all. It could be many things ranging from motor mounts or a cluth on its way out, all the way to the rear diff. But I mainly feel it coming from the front of the car like it would be the clutch/flywheel, mounts, etc. I need to know if this would be an expensive fix or not so I can plan for it. Any input, comment or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

vcaddy06
11-09-11, 02:33 AM
No responses? I'm sure someone has read this post that could elaborate on this. Please! I'm semi new to the forums and need help!

darkman
11-09-11, 08:31 AM
My first guess would be motor mounts. The OEM motor mounts are liquid-filled and their failure results in leaking of a brown fluid. You can check for leaks by inspecting the area surrounding the motor mounts. It could also be the transmission mount although the failure rate for those is much lower.

CadzillaTN
11-09-11, 10:35 AM
trans mount. Not a 100% solution (every fix on the V is a multiple item process) but it will definitely help. The oem sags very early in mileage (for a trans mount). It too was designed for comfort, not function.

Is it a rubber band-like recoil bucking that smooths out if you give it more gas?

How many miles do you have?

Motor mounts are an issue too, but that would be more if a slam or intermittent thumping under the hood on or off throttle (in extreme cases), not a continuous bucking... If you have what I'm thinking, it's nearly impossible to take off slowly and smoothly in 1st.

mstrjon32
11-09-11, 12:15 PM
Is it a rubber band-like recoil bucking that smooths out if you give it more gas?

I get this occasionally...is this a trans mount problem?

CadzillaTN
11-09-11, 05:25 PM
That, or worn fw/disk/or pp surface allowing it to slip, or both.

Do you get the same thing at parking lot speeds when almost off the throttle?

That stock trans mount sags allowing a lot of "floaty" drivetrain movement... At least 1/4 to 1/2 inch up and down.

I'd like to say if replacing one or the other improves the issue but I'm doing both at once right now. Either way, the mount is alot cheaper than the clutch!

Now...,disclaimer- there are a host of other things that can contribute to slack, bad mm's, worn guibo, slack in the diff,driveshaft carrier bearing failure or rubber ring support failure, etc..but for that feeling of the while drivetrain lifting up then falling, I vote trans mount as a significant and frequently overlooked contributor.

vcaddy06
11-13-11, 10:47 PM
My first guess would be motor mounts. The OEM motor mounts are liquid-filled and their failure results in leaking of a brown fluid. You can check for leaks by inspecting the area surrounding the motor mounts. It could also be the transmission mount although the failure rate for those is much lower.

That's the response I've received mostly from a few friends. But it's been doing it for only about a month and a half now. Maybe I should just replace the motor mounts anyways to steer away from any possible issues in the future. I'm sure they are the oem mounts.

vcaddy06
11-13-11, 10:51 PM
trans mount. Not a 100% solution (every fix on the V is a multiple item process) but it will definitely help. The oem sags very early in mileage (for a trans mount). It too was designed for comfort, not function.

How many miles do you have?

Motor mounts are an issue too, but that would be more if a slam or intermittent thumping under the hood on or off throttle (in extreme cases), not a continuous bucking... If you have what I'm thinking, it's nearly impossible to take off slowly and smoothly in 1st.

Actually it does kind sound like you described it as a rubber band recoil. Car now has 53k and I've had it since 31k 3 years ago. And you are exactly right about taking off 100% smooth in first everytime.

vcaddy06
11-13-11, 11:05 PM
I think with all your guys' feedback, I'm just gonna replace the motor mounts and tranny mounts all together because I haven't changed them and the dealer I'm sure wouldn't change them without letting me know or just changing them out and not saying anything. If the mounts don't fix it, I'll look into the fw/pp and other things in that area. Thank you guys! I appreciate it. This will also help me to learn more about the car so I won't have to ask in the future. I'm a noob haha

MLEO
11-19-11, 01:28 PM
I had a similar issue and it also affectd the smoothness of getting into 2nd gear for me as well. With more thottle it was easier getting into gear although this was unusual so I thought it was me. I took it to the dealer under warranty and it turned out it was the rear Differential Front mount bushing that had separated. Dealer replaed and the car is as good as new again. This could be an option....