: Cosumer Affairs

mjv53
10-31-11, 03:56 PM
Anyone see in the Dec. 2011 issue that they have the SRX as Not Recommended as models w/declining reliabililty! What's up with that.

stevec5375
10-31-11, 06:18 PM
I think you must be referring to "Consumer Reports". And yes, I just went and had a look see and sure enough the SRX is "NOT RECOMMENDED" based on data since last year. I can't say I'm surprised. I always wonder how many people have problems that never get posted on forums like this because they are unaware they exist. So far, due to warranty, I have not been out any money for all the things I've had fixed on my 2010 SRX with 10,500 miles. However, it's the first vehicle I've ever owned in this class that has had so many issues out of the gate. It will most likely be my last Cadillac.

algiorda
11-01-11, 07:05 AM
And do you believe everything they write in Consumer Reports????

stevec5375
11-01-11, 08:49 PM
And do you believe everything they write in Consumer Reports????

I don't have to. I have experienced the "NOT RECOMMENDED" personally.

C&C
11-02-11, 05:11 AM
You pay your money and you take your chances (as with any vehicle purchase); I have in the past bought vehicles that had less than stellar approval from CR and have had good luck with all of them. I don't like CR's reliability data (and treat them with a grain of salt), prefer J.D. Powers, and have cancelled my CR subscription some years ago. This is just my opinion, so if you are a supporter or CR, that is certainly your privilege; unbiased?, not in my opinion.

PJ1520
11-02-11, 08:08 AM
Consumers Report surveys its subscribers, both hard copy and internet I would presume. Then reports the survey data if enough data on a particular brand and model are available. TrueDelta and JD Powers are available for vehicle reliability data as well. Each of these takes a slightly different approach. At the end of the day, what else does a consumer have to go on when purchasing a vehicle?

Word of mouth? Advertisements? Limited past personal experience with a brand? Forums?

Some may observe that each service's data compilation is flawed in some way. Another may suspect that the data is bogus to make things appear better than they actually are for certain brands, and the publications are influenced by advertising dollars. And a third might be influenced by a backlash by subscribers who cancel their subscriptions if their particular vehicle gets scorched in a survey. It has been smooth sailing since then, but my list of things that need fixing on the next trip into the dealership has been started.

So I ask you. Do you run by the seat of your pants and your own emotional preferences? Or do you take into consideration as many factors other than personal opinion to make a vehicle selection based on more than that? My experience is not your experience.

I believe that more information is better than less information, provided that one considers the possible flaws, influence, and bias that may or may not accompany the information. And the average/below average SRX ratings in CR for example at the very least seem to mirror my experiences so far with my vehicle which was purchased CPO at was delivered with a few "issues" which my dealer rectified.

My emotional personal preferences in a vehicle are hardly a basis for a vehicle selection when it comes to reliability. The consumer reliability figures at least give me a heads up as to what I might reasonably expect.

PJ

Razorecko
11-02-11, 09:35 AM
I agree, this has been one of the most incident prone vehicles I have owned to date. I have had more problems with this 2010 srx in its first 10k than I have had with my 2009 cts-v that has 40k miles and is a first year sports sedan

doctormstein1
11-02-11, 11:10 AM
I have had zero problems with my 2010 SRX. I guess its the luck of the draw.

stevec5375
11-02-11, 05:16 PM
I would just like to point out that my "opinion" is based on my own personal experience with the 2010 SRX which I purchased. Clearly, your mileage may vary, as they say. Currently, it is running just beautifully but I have to add that it was not so "beautiful" within its first year. Chrome pieces continually falling off, rear bumper reflector fell off, Nav/Radio unit totally replaced and reprogrammed multiple times, rear A/C wasn't working, dealer constantly scuffing up the doors, dealer scratched the hell out of my driver door Cadillac chrome/lighted entry plate, etc. These are just the issues that came to mind without my digging through my file of service orders. The last 3 Infinitis I owned didn't have this many problems between all three of them. Purchasing this Cadillac, an AMERICAN car, was the 2nd time in my 54 years that I decided to "come home again" (buy American) to see if we had progressed in reliability. I would have to say overall, we have. But we're not quite where we need to be IMHO. I consider myself partly to blame for making the bad decision to buy a new redesign the first year it came out. Lesson learned and not to be repeated.

algiorda
11-02-11, 08:43 PM
I also have had ZERO defects with my SRX. What is the statistical sampling Consumer reports surveyed their customers???

I wasn't surveyed. How many owners are out there that equally have had NO problems with their SRX????

How the hell can sales be so great if the car was a lemon that falls apart as you drive it down the road?

However, now that a publication boldly states; "Not Recommended" how many sales will now be lost??

How is this responsible???

I've purchased many of the products over the years that were on the Consumer reports "Recommended" list that were just plain crap and junk. I happen to think that magazine is a rag.

If Motor Trend, Automobile, or Car & Driver reviewed the car and rated it as "NOT RECOMMENDED" I think I would sit up and take notice.

JimmyH
11-04-11, 08:05 PM
You think Consumer Reports, who accept no advertising money, is a rag? Yet you put all your stock in MT and CD? Who consistently pick winners right off their full page ads?

paid4c4
11-04-11, 09:11 PM
Consumer Reports is an organization which forms opinions and publishes those opinion. I've never thought much about their opinions or magazine. I did my own comparisons and test drives before I purchased our 2012 SRX and I'll accept the consequences of my decision. So far I think I made the right decision, regardless of what others may say.
Bill

PJ1520
11-05-11, 12:51 AM
You think Consumer Reports, who accept no advertising money, is a rag? Yet you put all your stock in MT and CD? Who consistently pick winners right off their full page ads?

You've got that right, Jimmy. I still read and enjoy R&T and C&D too.

Bill.........that is exactly what car magazines also do, form opinions and then publish them. I am not sure I understand what you are trying to convey. By the way, you did make the right decision in buying the SRX because that is the car you wanted.

Al.......CR negotiates and buys their test vehicles anonymously so that what they receive prep-wise on their delivered new vehicle is what you and I would get, and not a vehicle that has been gone over with a fine toothed comb before delivery. Not so with the car magazines.

Re the CR surveys, you might have been accidentally throwing them out. I get mine, fill them out, and return them.

PJ

paid4c4
11-05-11, 09:23 AM
You've got that right, Jimmy. I still read and enjoy R&T and C&D too.

Bill.........that is exactly what car magazines also do, form opinions and then publish them. I am not sure I understand what you are trying to convey. By the way, you did make the right decision in buying the SRX because that is the car you wanted.
PJ

There were three points I was trying to convey, you picked up on the most important point which is simple, I bought the car which was right for me and that I wanted. Second point don't depend on any magazine or organization to check out a car you might be interested in purchasing. Do your own test drives and research. Third point which I didn't really get into is the fact I just don't like or trust Consumer Reports. That's one of the great parts about the First Amendment, Consumer's has the freedom to publish and I have the freedom not to purchase it, read it or recommend it.
Bill

JimmyH
11-05-11, 10:56 AM
The big 3 car rags are ok. They are worth reading. Every once in a while, they even have information in them. But I would never base a decision like buying a car off of what I read in any magazine.

PJ1520
11-06-11, 12:42 AM
There were three points I was trying to convey, you picked up on the most important point which is simple, I bought the car which was right for me and that I wanted. Second point don't depend on any magazine or organization to check out a car you might be interested in purchasing. Do your own test drives and research. Third point which I didn't really get into is the fact I just don't like or trust Consumer Reports. That's one of the great parts about the First Amendment, Consumer's has the freedom to publish and I have the freedom not to purchase it, read it or recommend it.
Bill

You suggested doing my own research. Just what research can one do on their own that would be more expansive, encompassing, and comprehensive than the three consumer survey groups we have been discussing, the three major automotive magazines mentioned, and reading forums such as this? I test drove about a dozen SRXs before I purchased mine, but that by no means provided the slightest benchmark to determine short or long term vehicle dependability, or a basis on which I/we could extrapolate and draw a reasonable conclusion.

PJ

DarrinMI
11-06-11, 05:51 AM
I have one of the first re-designed SRXs ordered in September 2009. I had a piece of trim fall off, but besides that absolutely nothing has been wrong with the car. My brother has a vehicle from another car company that has always been "recommended" by Consumer Reports. The electrical system has caught on fire. The steering has gone out and now that they have done a recall on the steering he is getting the runaround trying to recoup his cost for the repairs he paid for out of pocket.
Is Consumer Reports wrong? No. They do a review and then rely on members to share their experiences with the product. Do I trust everything they say? No.

MnMs
11-06-11, 07:02 AM
I just purchased my 2012 SRX and its a bit early for CR to have made a recommendation regarding the 2012 SRX. I have less than a 1000 miles with no problems.

Edmunds.com said, "Thanks to some improvements this year, the 2012 Cadillac SRX is a more well-rounded and appealing luxury crossover." Read the full review here: http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/srx/2012/?sub=suv#fullreview

paid4c4
11-06-11, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=PJ1520;2763953]You suggested doing my own research. Just what research can one do on their own that would be more expansive, encompassing, and comprehensive than the three consumer survey groups we have been discussing, the three major automotive magazines mentioned, and reading forums such as this? I test drove about a dozen SRXs before I purchased mine, but that by no means provided the slightest benchmark to determine short or long term vehicle dependability, or a basis on which I/we could extrapolate and draw a reasonable conclusion.
PJ, you did research on your own by driving a dozen SRX's. Everything you read is research and I'm not saying I don't read some car magazines because I do. I also spoke with owners and mechanics. The bottom line for me is that I bought a car which I was right for apparently both of us.
Bill