: Damage to the front spoiler

inspectorudy
10-31-11, 12:15 AM
I am sure that all of you have noticed that the front warning sensors do not warn of low curbs that the front spoiler can go up and over. I now park so far from the curb that I have to get back into my car on occasion and pull up a little to not be jutting out into the street. Has anyone come up with a fix yet? I was thinking of adding one of the front bumper sensors to the spoiler so that the warning signal would work for the spoiler. Does anyone know if this would be a big deal to wire in one more bumper sensor? Do you suppose that GM might have tested it out before they built it? Has anyone priced a new front spoiler? A contact sensor will not work because most curbs and sidewalks allow the spoiler to bend and slide up over them. It's the backing off that will tear it up. Any ideas?

sube5186
10-31-11, 10:29 AM
Yes, I noticed this very early on. Had this happen once and I made sure my first time was my last. Luckily, no damage occurred. The easiest solution is to just "back" into parking spaces. The back-up camera will show you exactly when the rear bumper is even with curb/parking lot stop. Even if you continue backing after that, you'll still have a long way to go before the rear wheels make contact. Backing in is also safer because it allows you to pull forward when exiting. This gives you much better visibility. Ever try backing out of a parking spot when you have two tall, full-sized SUVs on either side? I realize it takes longer to back in than it does to just pull in. But it ends up taking exactly the same time, because if you pull straight in you have to take longer backing out.

I know this probably isn't the solution you were looking for, but try it just the same. Once you get used to it, you won't miss the other way.

Sube

inspectorudy
10-31-11, 11:44 AM
I agree with you about backing in but the little lady will NEVER do that and it is her car. I try to pull through if there is a double head to head space in front of me. It just seems like there should be some sort of warning that could be added. Is it possible to add a front camera and hook it up without a lot of effort? I would guess that the front spoiler is at least $300. So a $50 camera and a way to hook it up should be a cheap alternative. Hello GM?

cvettr/cts-v
10-31-11, 12:07 PM
As with any vehicle, with time you / she will get comfortable and know exactly where your font end is. You could go to an office parking lot without the blocks or curbs and practice on the weekend. You can then pull in and out as often as you want with little or no distractions till she / you can both stop that front end exactly where ever you want it everytime.

inspectorudy
10-31-11, 04:38 PM
I totally agree with you but then we could roll our windows up and down with a little crank too. It seems to me that when you make a car with so many comfort features that to stop just short of the best package you can build is a little short sighted. They already have the sensors in the front bumper. They also went to the trouble to put the warning bars in the speedo so why stop when they were so close? One more sensor in the spoiler would have cost them how much? One more camera in the front bumper that would come on anytime you were going 5 mph or less would have cost them how much? I remember when Johnson and Evinrude, the outboard motor people could have used stainless steel screws on all of their motors but chose not to. The work that created for the new owners was enormous. How much would that have cost them? I guess it comes from the bean counters in every business who only look at the bottom line.

sube5186
10-31-11, 04:39 PM
As with any vehicle, with time you / she will get comfortable and know exactly where your font end is.

Yeah, right. If you believe that one I have some oceanfront property in the middle of Nevada to sell you. After nearly two years it doesn't get any better. I don't know if it's the slope of the hood or what, but it's nearly impossible to judge where the front end of this car is. Whenever I think I have it right, I get out and discover I'm way off. That's why it's easier to just back in.

Sube

stevec5375
10-31-11, 05:43 PM
Be careful where you back into parking spaces. If it's in a parking lot you're OK. If it's on the street and it's a multi-directional street, you can get ticketed for backing into angled parking. This is probably on a state-by-state basis, but here in Austin, TX, I got a ticket once for backing into an angled space because the front of my vehicle was facing the oncoming traffic. If it had been a one-way street and angle of the space different, I would have avoided the ticket.

cvettr/cts-v
11-01-11, 04:37 PM
I totally agree with you but then we could roll our windows up and down with a little crank too. It seems to me that when you make a car with so many comfort features that to stop just short of the best package you can build is a little short sighted. They already have the sensors in the front bumper. They also went to the trouble to put the warning bars in the speedo so why stop when they were so close? One more sensor in the spoiler would have cost them how much? One more camera in the front bumper that would come on anytime you were going 5 mph or less would have cost them how much? I remember when Johnson and Evinrude, the outboard motor people could have used stainless steel screws on all of their motors but chose not to. The work that created for the new owners was enormous. How much would that have cost them? I guess it comes from the bean counters in every business who only look at the bottom line.

I agree, and the best solution would be a forward facing camera and with the quality of the rear camera it could not cost too much. I think they would have a sensitivity issue with sensors only. If they put additional ones lower to catch parking blocks as they are only what 4-6 inches high and you would not want the parking surface to set them off. They are obviuosly where they are because if they only warned of parking blocks someone would damage the bumper which sticks out so much further and blame Cadillac. I even wish the outer front sensors were a little less sensitive as they activate on the side of the garage opening when backing out and it is somewhat annoying when your still so far away from the object.

inspectorudy
11-01-11, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I thought about the lower sensors but they could be a different tone or cause a light to come on that was not part of the object warning system. If a nose camera was positioned looking straight down then the curb would be seen as you approached it and stopping would be easy. I'm having trouble in my own garage with how close I am to the wall. I'm going to put a board down to create a stop for my wife. The nose on this thing is so well hidden that I don't think I will ever feel comfortable driving up to a parking curb.

GMJim
11-02-11, 02:12 PM
GM vehicles are designed to clear 6" curb height, and ramp (car hauler, and train) angle to a hard surface.
The air dam is flexible, and we know that all curbs aren't the standard 6". The driver needs to be aware of their surroundings.
People seemed to park vehicles OK with out sensors & camera's for the first 100 years.

Flame me...........

PJ1520
11-02-11, 04:27 PM
GM Jim..........:D I'd be glad to flame you.

Go back to Cadillac, trade in your Sport Wagon, and get yourself another SRX!!!!! Word on the street has it they have the A/C issue fixed. :yup:

On a more serious note, at some point this added stuff goes from the sublime to the ridiculous.

What we need are sensors and cameras that activate the brakes firmly and halt the SRX immediately, before a frontal scrape. Same with the rear. Otherwise, my wife would simply ignore this additional recommended underside front protection device just as she did with the rear backup devices.

Yup. She walked out to our parked car, squeezed in between the car behind us and our SRX, raised the rear hatch, threw a bag in the back, closed the hatch, got in the SRX, fired it up, flipped it into reverse, and promptly backed right into that same vehicle despite the very "devices" added to eliminate that situation. :banghead:

IMHO, I'd rather see Cadillac keep a lid on the escalating price of the vehicle, or focus on a supercharger option.

PJ

inspectorudy
11-02-11, 04:47 PM
Yikes! I hope GMjim is not really affiliated with GM. Can you tell me Jim how many of the earlier cars from the 1900's to today had lower front spoilers? It isn't that some of the muscle cars in the 60's had then but that it has been 50 years since then. I have had one of almost all makes in my lifetime except the luxury brands like RR or Ferrari and on all of those cars I could tell where my frontend ended/began. If you have a general idea where your frontend is then you can manage the parking ok. But with the SRX the frontend is no where to be seen. Other than putting little posts or flags on the front bumper there is not much to go by when parking approaching a curb or stop block. GM and especially Cadillac could have done better but it appears that customer service/customer consideration is a thing of the past. Do you suppose that the engineers ever had anyone drive these things in the real world BEFORE they sent the final design to production?

GMJim
11-02-11, 06:02 PM
All i'm sayn' is I can't see the front of my vehicle either. And it only took one time of blanking up
my front end (cause a CTS sits even lower), and I determined a method to gage myself to a curb.

Park your vehicle at a desired distance from said curb. Then, sit in your vehicle, and choose a stationary
object to establish a relationship to said curb. Observe, and remember relationship.
I use the bottom of the side view mirror in relationship to the row of curbs. Works evertime.
I would rather have to get back in, and move up a bit, than peel my vehicle off a curb again.

My viewpoints do not reflect those of my employer.

inspectorudy
11-02-11, 09:12 PM
I can understand your technique very easily and I think it would work if you have a standard parking area approaching a normal curb. Stop blocks in parking lots are not contiguous so there is usually not anything that you can see that will give you the angle needed to mentally figure out the distance. It is just my luck that I will pull into a lot with another SRX parked next to me with his spoiler up on the block! You only have to off by a couple of inches to rip the spoiler. I do remember the old curb scrapers on the front and rear of a car that told you when you were about to hit the curb when parallel parking. They worked but looked like hell. Surely GM with all the money WE gave them could come up with a simple device to help park without damaging our cars. Is that too much to ask?

PJ1520
11-03-11, 08:15 PM
......... Surely GM with all the money WE gave them could come up with a simple device to help park without damaging our cars. Is that too much to ask?

The simple device is called judgement, learned from experience and practice, and it costs nothing. I think we need to realize that with every additional gadget, the acquisition price of the vehicle goes up, the vehicle becomes more complex, more difficult to diagnose, more difficult to repair, and more costly to own. One of the very things that launched the SRX from also-ran in its market segment to second place and breathing down the market leader's neck was the reduction in the MSRP. Sales figures don't lie, and more people can afford the GenII SRX.

As I stated in an earlier opinion, from the sublime to the ridiculous. Do we really need to dumb down the vehicle and the driving experience any more in order to accommodate every "nice to have" idea? IMHO, no.

PJ

Marc NY
11-03-11, 09:42 PM
The simple device is called judgement, learned from experience and practice, and it costs nothing. ... As I stated in an earlier opinion, from the sublime to the ridiculous. Do we really need to dumb down the vehicle and the driving experience any more in order to accommodate every "nice to have" idea? IMHO, no.

PJI agree...

BTW: Here is a standard height bumper/curb and the spoiler just clears it (The SRX tires are low at 30 PSI) so with 5 more lbs of air it should have more clearance.

SRX312
11-03-11, 11:35 PM
>>>>> After nearly two years it doesn't get any better. I don't know if it's the slope of the hood or what, but it's nearly impossible to judge where the front end of this car is.<<<<<<

Yes, Sube...I agree. That is for me a big problem with this vehicle. I cant see the front of the vehicle when driving. Never experienced this before. It is often uncomfortable and makes me worry about hitting something. Driving up one the ramp of a parking garage...round and round...is the worse. Getting used to it but not ideal. Love the vehicle so much but the visibility is a problem. I have my seat up as high as it can go while leaving as much room as possible for my long legs. And yes, I have made sure the accelerator and brake pedals are as close to the floor as possible. I wrote a post on this problem right after buying the vehicle. Anyone else notice you cant see the front of the vehicle while driving and does it bother anyone?

inspectorudy
11-04-11, 01:43 AM
If you would just RTFM you wouldn't have this problem, (SARC)! And to Marc, you had better make sure that those yellow stop blocks are not being held in place by rebar. About half the time one or more of them sticks up past the top of the block. Can you just imagine what that would do to your spoiler when you backed out? I think we will all get used to the blind front end but that doesn't mean that Cadillac couldn't have helped a little. I am a member of tractor forum and the attitude there is someone will come up with a fix for any problem. I'll bet someone on this forum can think of a simple fix for this one. I like my SRX but I think we owe it to the new buyers that will buy the next generation to offer complaints on things we would like to see improved. That's not the same as badmouthing our cars.

Huey Driver
11-04-11, 08:16 AM
Marc,
Even with the low profile tires on the Perf, can I ask why you go with 30 psi? Is it still recommended at 35 for the perf model (lux says 35)?
I ask because I checked mine as soon as I got it home and found it had 30psi. I figured this was for a smoother ride when showing, but I havent really noticed any difference after bumping it up to 35...

Marc NY
11-04-11, 11:22 AM
Marc,
Even with the low profile tires on the Perf, can I ask why you go with 30 psi? Is it still recommended at 35 for the perf model (lux says 35)?
I ask because I checked mine as soon as I got it home and found it had 30psi. I figured this was for a smoother ride when showing, but I havent really noticed any difference after bumping it up to 35...Huey I don't usually keep my tires at 30 PSI I noticed it when I took that photo that my spoiler was barely clearing the curb.

I have since inflated my tires back up to 35 psi. :)

Huey Driver
11-04-11, 12:00 PM
ahh, I C...
I just wondered if there was some sort of 'inside info' that dropping a couple pounds was preferred for handling or ride. :D

TheCaptain
11-04-11, 01:51 PM
Park your vehicle at a desired distance from said curb. Then, sit in your vehicle, and choose a stationary
object to establish a relationship to said curb. Observe, and remember relationship.
I use the bottom of the side view mirror in relationship to the row of curbs. Works evertime.
I would rather have to get back in, and move up a bit, than peel my vehicle off a curb again.

Smart words from a smart man. Good clear instructions on the proper way to park Jim! Its good to see some people have stuff figured out.

Here's another idea! Why not stop before ANY of the vehicle hangs over a curb? Its not like someone is going to side swipe the rear of your car if it hangs out into the parkway a bit? Or is that too drastic? :bulging:

Here's my peeve: why do most people/ almost all old people park by feel/sound? They don't stop until the tires or bumper hits something!! :bang2: GAH Just stop a few seconds earlier! :banghead:

inspectorudy
11-04-11, 05:17 PM
Arrgghhhh! Now I know where the people who do not pull into the spaces far enough come from! When I go to a mall and see the number of people who ALMOST park it has always puzzled me. You might get away with it in this little car but too many pickup truck drivers use your technique. Try to back out when you are in a pickup when another pickup has pulled in behind you with the almost park technique. Sometimes it takes three or four back and forths to get enough clearance to exit. Here where I live the tendency for parking lots with sidewalks around them is to use parking stop block in front of the curb to prevent car overhangs onto the sidewalks. Good luck on judging where your wheels are. Let's see we have electric turn signals when your old arm works fine. We have auto windows up and down in this car when the old crank did just fine. We have auto dial telephones and auto seek radios. We have rear view cameras when the old rear view mirrors worked fine. We have remote starting and remote hatch opening when the old key worked fine. There are a million other things that we have that we do not HAVE to have but GM thought they would be nice for us. But you know what? Not one of them will save your car from damage or save you any money if they work. But a little front mounted camera will/would. I know you can use your angle off the bow technique but you can roll your own windows up too. So why do we have one but not the other? Do any of you think that the average driver is going to pull into a slot and start looking away from the direction of travel to try and find a landmark to navigate with? Why is this such a big deal? Just add the damn camera and quit using manhood as measure of parking practice. IMHO

Marc NY
11-04-11, 07:58 PM
... Why is this such a big deal? Just add the damn camera and quit using manhood as measure of parking practice. IMHODoes any manufacturer offer a low mounted forward viewing camera? I would think it would be very difficult to judge the exact height your front spoiler is off the ground and or over a curb by viewing it through a wide angle camera. Where would you place the camera to give you all the proper viewing angles that would be needed to cover the full width of the front fascia/ spoiler areas?

*NOTE: I wouldn't want to try and keep that camera lens clean during the long winter months of snow and slush.

JimmyH
11-04-11, 08:02 PM
That's why I back into parking spaces. Backup camera ftw.

TheCaptain
11-05-11, 10:34 AM
That's why I back into parking spaces. Backup camera ftw.

Indeed. Besides, if you do have a camera on the front, it would just be covered with road debris, bugs, or smashed from rocks flying from other cars while on the road. It's not cost effective.

JimmyH
11-05-11, 11:05 AM
I had a dream last night that my inlaws bought an RX350 with cameras and sensors all over the thing. I am pretty sure the dream was a result of reading this thread.

xrs01
11-05-11, 11:33 AM
I had a dream last night that my inlaws bought an RX350 with cameras and sensors all over the thing. I am pretty sure the dream was a result of reading this thread.

I had that same dream. One of the cameras was mounted on the roof, and pointed skyward, so they could see what the weather was like.

inspectorudy
11-05-11, 12:35 PM
I think I'll invest in the company that manufactures the front spoiler for SRX's. Thank God you guys weren't on Orville and Wilbur's forum!

TheCaptain
11-05-11, 12:46 PM
What's an Orville and Wilbur?

inspectorudy
11-12-11, 11:51 PM
This looks interesting for our front spoiler. They are located in Jacksonville Fl.

Ponyman
11-13-11, 10:19 AM
Just pay attentiion to your driving and you won't ned any type of external sensor or camera.

inspectorudy
11-13-11, 12:37 PM
If you drive as poorly as you type then maybe you should get one:-) IMHO

Ponyman
11-13-11, 05:40 PM
Actually, I think I am typing pretty well for using one hand and just having carpal tunnel surgery on the other one two days ago. What's your excuse for your attitude. Oh, let me guess you were born that way. JHMO

JimmyH
11-13-11, 06:19 PM
really fellas? come on.

Marc NY
11-14-11, 09:33 AM
I agree...

BTW: Here is a standard height bumper/curb and the spoiler just clears it (The SRX tires are low at 30 PSI) so with 5 more lbs of air it should have more clearance. In my first photo posted earlier in this thread I was a little bit low on air and now here is a photo with the tires set at 35 PSI.

You can see if your tires are set at the proper PSI they should give you plenty of clearance on those parking barriers even if the anchor rods stick up slightly.

NOTE: If you encounter anything higher then this standard parking barrier than you best get out and visually check before you drive over the curb or you will pay the price dearly!

Ponyman
11-14-11, 11:56 AM
Thanks Marc. I had better check the air pressure in the wife's SRX this evening, since the weather has turned cooler, they are probably a little low. That looks like plenty of clearance, and visually checking if you are not sure is a lot better way of verifying than relying on a camera. People who would rely on a low mounted camera, or alert warning, would probably drag it off too.

allgm
11-14-11, 12:26 PM
That was my thinking also. Would you need a second camera to watch the clearance on the first one. I have been driving for over 45 years never had problem with parking curbs. You can usually tell which ones are high. They have plastic cars parts scattered around them.

Ponyman
11-14-11, 01:05 PM
Delores you are so right. Thanks for the laugh, plastic parts scatterd all around them. My smile for the day.

Huey Driver
11-14-11, 05:33 PM
Just as a caution, my TPMS reads about 1-2 psi LOWER than the actual tire pressure. Not enough to matter, but I have a very accurate dial gauge, and a dial on the compressor that both read the same at 35 +/- .5psi. The DIC and On-Star pretty consistently show 33 psi.

PJ1520
11-14-11, 05:53 PM
Just as a caution, my TPMS reads about 1-2 psi LOWER than the actual tire pressure. Not enough to matter, but I have a very accurate dial gauge, and a dial on the compressor that both read the same at 35 +/- .5psi. The DIC and On-Star pretty consistently show 33 psi.

My TPMS is the same as yours. Each tire on the DIC reads about 2 psi lower than the 3 gauges I have: one digital, one ancient pop up, and one new expensive brass/glass analog gauge measuring in .5 psi increments. All three manual gauges match one another.

PJ

frankrizzo135
11-14-11, 06:40 PM
You're are so right. I back up to park all the time. As for the front spoiler though, one thing that is sometimes not mentioned is when you back up into a steep driveway from the street. When you pull out to the street the spoiler will hit the pavement,so you have to slow it down.

Marc NY
11-14-11, 08:35 PM
My TPMS is the same as yours. Each tire on the DIC reads about 2 psi lower than the 3 gauges I have: one digital, one ancient pop up, and one new expensive brass/glass analog gauge measuring in .5 psi increments. All three manual gauges match one another.

PJI have a digital gauge and believe it or not it read almost exactly what the DIC shows. I even checked it with myCadilliac link through OnStar and it was dead on with very similar numbers also. I believe it should be accurate within + - 1 psi

GMJim
11-21-11, 06:36 AM
Rocket Science

THIS

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt28/n2modern/IMG_5867.jpg

EQUALS THIS
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt28/n2modern/IMG_5029.jpg

Marc NY
11-21-11, 09:14 AM
Rocket Science

THIS

EQUALS THIS
I agree with GMJim... there comes a time when an "observant" driver must realize that their front spoiler will not clear certain curbs heights and one must stop further away.

IMO: For some reason some drivers (I am sure very few) must think that the front spoilers should be made so that they can park over every curb they come across. :bang2:

FYI: Did you happen to notice the owner of that car in the upper portion of the second photo has actually parked over that high curb? He or she must have already lost their spoiler so it clears just enough to be able to park over that extra high curb ... :hmm:

stevec5375
11-21-11, 05:27 PM
I agree with GMJim... there comes a time when an "observant" driver must realize that their front spoiler will not clear certain curbs heights and one must stop further away.

IMO: For some reason some drivers (I am sure very few) must think that the front spoilers should be made so that they can park over every curb they come across. :bang2:

FYI: Did you happen to notice the owner of that car in the upper portion of the second photo has actually parked over that high curb? He or she must have already lost their spoiler so it clears just enough to be able to park over that extra high curb ... :hmm:

What looks cool isn't always practical. How else to do you think service depts. make so much money for the dealerships?

etexlady
11-21-11, 10:11 PM
Just paid $1400 to repair/replace front spoiler and bumper due to anchor bolt on one of those parking barriers extending up about 3 inches. You cannot see the condition of the parking barrier when you pull into the space. I got too close, heard a scraping noise and, like a dummy, slowly backed up. That extended bolt ripped the spoiler, tore loose one side of the bumper breaking the connection in the process and leaving me with a bumper dragging the ground and no way to reattach it. I now try to avoid spaces that have parking barriers and try to get a look at the space, nearness of the curbing, etc before I decide if I want to park there or not.

inspectorudy
11-21-11, 10:57 PM
That's really bad luck. I agree that it is wiser to just avoid spots with the barriers if you can. Sometimes that is not possible, hence why I am looking for an assist. The nice picture above showing the drivers side mirror to aid in parking is a great idea and will work when the area is just like the picture; IE an empty space next to your space but will not help when you pull into a tight spot with cars on both sides. The new technology uses an antennae that fits inside the front bumper and supposedly gives off very few false alerts and only works below five MPH. The sensor is the size of a small box of matches and does not need to be cleaned, ever. I am still trying to find the right device and when I do I will report it here.
PS
I hope you had good insurance coverage to help you with your accident.

Ponyman
11-22-11, 08:26 AM
Sounds to me like Marc and GM are right. Be observant when you drive and park and there will be no need for an extra doo dad to sense curbs. My HHR, my daily driver, sits much lower than the SRX, and I have never had problems dragging the front end on curbs. Just STOP, well before your tires hit the curb. It ain't rocket science, just good old common sense people.

inspectorudy
11-22-11, 12:47 PM
You must be single.

Ponyman
11-22-11, 01:33 PM
Nope, very happily married, and although a blonde, my wife has no trouble stopping before damaging the SRX either.

stevec5375
11-22-11, 05:47 PM
Nope, very happily married, and although a blonde, my wife has no trouble stopping before damaging the SRX either.

Probably blonde out of a bottle.

inspectorudy
11-23-11, 01:23 AM
If your wife employs the "Almost park" method you might want to get rear end insurance. When I look down the aisles of parked cars at the malls I am amazed at how many stick out so far into the roadway. Bumping the spoiler might be a better bet than getting your rear end hit. Some of the roadways are so narrow that sticking out is not an option. I have never had a car that required concentration to make a simple parking maneuver. My wife's last car was a Tahoe and there was no worries about hitting anything. I am a realist and know that she will be in a hurry one day and pull into a slot while thinking about something else and do what the poor lady above did. I am a firm believer that you design a product to work within the system that exists BEFORE you design the product. Ferraris and other exotic cars are not normally driven to malls so they are exempt. But by most enthusiasts the SRX is a woman's car and with a little fore thought it could have been designed for what they most use them for, shopping and carting the kids around. All I'm trying to do is make it safer for her to park without equating it to a carrier landing or have her almost park.

GMJim
11-23-11, 06:26 AM
Probably blonde out of a bottle.

That's a compliment Pony, I think......Because a true blonde would completely run over the curb, and rip the rear fascia off exiting.

GMJim
11-23-11, 06:30 AM
All I'm trying to do is make it safer for her to park without equating it to a carrier landing or have her almost park.

So buy the "Curb-Alert", and be done with this already!

Marc NY
11-23-11, 06:42 AM
If your wife employs the "Almost park" method you might want to get rear end insurance. When I look down the aisles of parked cars at the malls I am amazed at how many stick out so far into the roadway. Bumping the spoiler might be a better bet than getting your rear end hit. Some of the roadways are so narrow that sticking out is not an option. I have never had a car that required concentration to make a simple parking maneuver. My wife's last car was a Tahoe and there was no worries about hitting anything. I am a realist and know that she will be in a hurry one day and pull into a slot while thinking about something else and do what the poor lady above did. I am a firm believer that you design a product to work within the system that exists BEFORE you design the product. Ferraris and other exotic cars are not normally driven to malls so they are exempt. But by most enthusiasts the SRX is a woman's car and with a little fore thought it could have been designed for what they most use them for, shopping and carting the kids around. All I'm trying to do is make it safer for her to park without equating it to a carrier landing or have her almost park.

After reading your comments above I believe your complaints/ issues are not really all due to the actual SRX design issues that you seem to believe they are. The real crux of the problem here in all honesty, is that you and some other new owners need to understand that all smaller (crossover) SUVs have similar clearance issues. It is not just the SRX that one has to be concerned where and how you park.

If all vehicles were like your wife's old Tahoe (LARGE) SUV in height then no one will have to be concerned about where and how they park. It is the reality of moving down to a smaller world of crossover size vehicles.

IMHO: The real reason behind this thread is that the newer owners of the SRX and other drivers of lower SUVs have a big learning curve that must be realized. If you don't quickly learn how much clearance you now have you will end up like the unfortunate lady had in the above parking issue. Especially when down sizing your vehicle (like your wife's) there will always be a learning curve involved!

BTW: I don't think the SRX was designed just for woman... I have owned over two dozen Tahoes and Yukons over the years and I am really glad to be downsized. A heck of lot easier on gas and much quicker to wash and the best part is that it is much easier to swing into those tight parking spots too!

TheCaptain
11-23-11, 09:46 AM
inspectorudy, if you do park sticking out into an isle, its another persons fault if they hit you, as your car is already stationary (and usually with no one behind the wheel). Then its just a matter of hoping they're not a pansy hit - and - runner. Its a win - win scenario! You don't bust the front off, and if somebody hits you its their fault!

Also, i have a friend with a Subaru that has this parking (not knowing where his front end is) thing figured out. He has these gaudy silver stick on antenna things on his front bumper with little blue tips at the top. They stick up over the hood and show him where his front bumper is a-la those semi looking ones. :D
I always give him a hard time because he's got a new car and has already damaged it twice trying to park! lol
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/headlights/Parkguides.jpg

inspectorudy
11-23-11, 11:40 AM
I understand the meme that an SRX owner needs to "Learn" how to park a lower car and have done so out of necessity. T
he thing that I do not understand from all of you technology limited people is that you accept, no embrace, technology when it is forced on you by the manufacturer whether it makes sense or not. But when a genuine need exists and some owners would welcome such technology you become defensive and macho about it. Of course we don't "Need" a parking assist but our cars came with one didn't it? We don't need power windows but it came with them didn't it? There are so many features that we do not need but we got anyway that it would take all day to list them. Yet one simple device that truly would make head in parking a snap is derided as less than manly or only for the motoring handicapped. Just ONE extra sensor, at a cost of less than $10, in the OEM system with a different tone would have done the trick. And then instead of sticking out into the road or looking to the side instead of straight ahead when parking we would park with a smile and no worries.

GMJim
11-23-11, 12:02 PM
FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!! I'LL BUY THE FRICKN' CURB ALERT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ponyman
11-23-11, 12:41 PM
Marc, I entirely agree with you. I have no problems with parking my Avalanche. In fact, I many times employ the bump the curb method to ensure the car is as far in as possible, since it is rather long. The SRX isn't near long enough to worry about the car sticking out too far, if you just use a little common sense. I also agree that it isn't a woman's car. Althought my wife is the primary driver, I love to drive it, when we take trips. As the old saying goes, some people would bitch if they were hung with a new rope. GM, that is might big of you, wanna buy me something for Christmas? Have a good Thanksgiving all.

Marc NY
11-23-11, 12:44 PM
... When a genuine need exists and some owners would welcome such technology you become defensive and macho about it. OK... I must ask...

If there is truly a real "genuine" need for this curb sensing feature could you please share with us what auto manufacture offers this feature on it as standard or optional equipment? It appears to me that you are expecting GM or Cadillac to offer this feature. I would like to know who else might be offering this wanted feature.

As nice as this feature might be for a few of our members, I truly have never, ever thought or dreamed of having that feature made availabe on any of my vehicles. Hey who knows I might even grow to like it too.... we could have two chime sounds one for front end sensor and the other for the lower spoiler too... One real HIGH sounding chime and the other a very LOW sounding chime. :D

GMJim
11-23-11, 12:51 PM
Give up Marc. Combative people will argue their grandma to the grave.

Marc NY
11-23-11, 01:12 PM
Give up Marc. Combative people will argue their grandma to the grave.Jim I hear you ...

Now if there is truly a need for this kind of feature I would think someone or some auto company would have come out with this option already. I believe the front sensors already pick up low to mid low range objects already, correct???

BTW: How low does the front sensors detect anyways? Now that is topic for someone to experiment with and to try and figure out.

Ponyman
11-23-11, 01:58 PM
I know if you pull into as parking space with a pole in front of it, like express pickup, or something similiar, the sensors will go nuts telling you that the pole is there.

JimmyH
11-23-11, 02:13 PM
oh dear lord

inspectorudy
11-23-11, 02:38 PM
Marc, unfortunately the front end sensors do not pick up anything at curb height. The sensors use the same technology that the old Polaroid cameras used. Sonar or now they are using infrared on some sensors. I can see that if it ain't invented here it ain't worth having is the GM attitude. If any of you are old enough to remember when seat belts were not even an option you will understand the mind set of those who oppose anything they don't want. I can still remember reading in the car magazines how dumb seat belts were and how the government was getting too big for it's britches. My own personal need for a spoiler alert was generated by having my first car with a spoiler. I have never even thought of such a device because I had never encountered the problems associated with a low mounted spoiler. I don't see the need for insults or derision just because you have mastered the art of guessing where your front end is. I am happy for you and your obvious skills. There are other's out there who do not possess your skills and would like to have a little help. BTW, the parking barriers are the least of my worries because the curbs/side walks are the real threat. They are at any height that the builder wants to build and as you approach it there is no way to tell if it will cause damage or not. If the space next to you is empty then you can use relative position judgement to stop short. If there is a car next to you then you are guessing. Think of all the automatic features we have and which ones will prevent damage to your car. As mentioned above, "Dear Lord", for $10 more we could all be using a spoiler alert system that would have become as normal as a turn signal.

Ponyman
11-23-11, 03:26 PM
I wouled be willing to bet it would cost a heck of a lot more than ($10). Nobody is insulting your or deriding you, as you did me for the spelling from my one handed typing. We are just stating our OWN opinions that such a device is not nearly the necessity you make it out to bed. Have a good Thanksgiving and don't let one of those curbs jump up in front of you.

stevec5375
11-23-11, 06:38 PM
If I wanted to listen to children, I'd have some of my own.

JimmyH
11-23-11, 07:55 PM
when you have children of your own, you don't listen to them, you get owned by them.

thebigjimsho
11-23-11, 09:23 PM
If your wife employs the "Almost park" method you might want to get rear end insurance. When I look down the aisles of parked cars at the malls I am amazed at how many stick out so far into the roadway. Bumping the spoiler might be a better bet than getting your rear end hit. Some of the roadways are so narrow that sticking out is not an option. I have never had a car that required concentration to make a simple parking maneuver. My wife's last car was a Tahoe and there was no worries about hitting anything. I am a realist and know that she will be in a hurry one day and pull into a slot while thinking about something else and do what the poor lady above did. I am a firm believer that you design a product to work within the system that exists BEFORE you design the product. Ferraris and other exotic cars are not normally driven to malls so they are exempt. But by most enthusiasts the SRX is a woman's car and with a little fore thought it could have been designed for what they most use them for, shopping and carting the kids around. All I'm trying to do is make it safer for her to park without equating it to a carrier landing or have her almost park.BS.

I drive a CTS-V with a nose that sticks out and sits lower than your SRX. I stop short about a foot and the ass end doesn't come close to sticking out.

For a living I drive a Town Car L. A few inches shorter than a Suburban. And even when staying off the curb, the ass end doesn't stick out. If that car doesn't, your little SRX won't. GM shouldn't be called short-sighted or foolish when owners can't take care of their cars within reason. If anything, GM should be applauded for applying the Darwin factor...

TheCaptain
11-24-11, 11:59 AM
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3401&pictureid=24901

Would these help? Just mount them forward!

inspectorudy
11-24-11, 01:31 PM
Yeah, what ever

JimmyH
11-24-11, 02:17 PM
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3401&pictureid=24901

Would these help? Just mount them forward!

I think I know that guy.

xrs01
11-30-11, 10:19 AM
This looks interesting for our front spoiler. They are located in Jacksonville Fl.

So - have you purchased and installed the "Curb-Alert" product you recommended?

How much did it cost you?

What were the shipping costs?

Will you provide step by step instructions for installation?

What tools were required?

What modifications did you have to make to the SRX?

Will you post pictures of the installation?

Will you provide videos of the system in action?

How is it performing for you?

Would you purchase it for all your vehicles?

Do you consider it a good value?

Does rain or snow affect performance for you?

Do you get any false positives?

Do you get any true negatives?

Has a curb hit you yet?

:duck:

inspectorudy
11-30-11, 11:52 AM
XRS01, I have not found a sensor that I feel I can purchase yet. There is one in GB that claims to do all that I want it to do and it is called a curb alert system but it is in England and it is about $180. It has a flat tape antennae that goes inside of the spoiler from one side to the other so it will catch a corner of a barrier or curb. I don't like dealing with companies over seas so I am still looking. I have decided that there is so much disdain for anyone seeking a solution to an everyday problem that I will not post or comment on this issue again. Just imagine if this group had been around when the automatic transmission came out. "If you knew how to shift you wouldn't need no stinkin auto. Only children need autos. If you were a real man you would never use an auto" There some real close minded people here that think if GM didn't think we needed something then we don't.

JimmyH
11-30-11, 01:01 PM
If these cars had every amenity you could think of, imagine how complicated and expensive they would get. Ok, so a front camera does not add that much cost. But where do you draw the line? All the geewhiz stuff in current Cadillacs is one of the reasons I almost don't want to buy another Cadillac. Once the warranty expires, these cars are getting hideously expensive to fix.

Marc NY
11-30-11, 07:40 PM
... There some real close minded people here that think if GM didn't think we needed something then we don't.I am truly puzzled here... why do you seem to insist on thinking that we are all closed minded? Is GM missing really something very important here for not offering a "spoiler warning system" option? I would think if it was something that the public really wanted or needed to buy or pay extra for it certainly would have been made that feature an option years ago!

Again, I ask you what other car manufacturer offers this feature??? You still haven't answered that question yet! WHY??? I have to assume that there is no one offering that feature beause not enough buyers want or need it, so the reasons why some accessory marketing sales company will offer it.

I honestly can not understand why you continue to think that this feature is so important that you can't imagine why the other 98% of car owners don't think this is a real big problem or concern. I am on many other car forums and I don't hear members asking for car companies to offer spoiler alert systems. Don't you think that an alert driver with common and sensible parking techniques should really be able to prevent most if not all spoiler accidents from happening? :annoyed:

GMJim
12-01-11, 06:18 AM
WTF, over

Marc NY
12-01-11, 06:48 AM
wtf, overamen!