: Warning about On Star

cadigirlchicago2
10-29-11, 03:42 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am still stewing over this 4 hours later and wanted to tell you all what happened to me today. So over a year ago, I renewed my onstar directions and connections package. Thanks to the tips on the forum, I negotiated the 1 year contract plus 3 mths free plus 100 phone minutes. Sweet. Today, I pressed my button for directions and the witch that took the call told me that this would be my last set of directions since I only have safe & sound plan. I told her, no, you are mistaken, I have directions and connections. :tisk: Well, ended up getting into a battle with her over what package I had and I immediately told her to get me her supervisor. :mad: Guy comes on the line and says no, after your 1 year the extra 3 mths are only safe and sound package! WTF? :mad:Um, no.....why in the world would I negotiate an extra 3 mths of a package that is of no use to me? Makes ZERO sense! Long story short wanted to warn everyone who negotiated a better contract incase this happens to you as well. My blood was boiling and I requested customer care. I finally got someone who was nice and she said that they will review the call and escalate to upper managment. She gave me an extra 3 mths so now I have 6 extra months of DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS. This totally wasted 25 min of my time this morning not to mention it totally ticked me off. I told them that I was a member of the forum here and that I'd be sure to post about my experience. I'm seriously thinking about just buying a nice Garmin after the 6 mths are up. On star is nice but I think it's way too expensive considering what they offer. Yes, it's nice to have it built in with the extra features like accident sensors etc but still. Have any of you ditched on star for a garmin or like and are you happy with the switch?

JimmyH
10-29-11, 04:15 PM
So, you got a cheaper price to begin with, and now have 6 additional free months. And you are complaining why? Because you lost 25 minutes of your life? Sounds like they did more than they should be reasonably expected to.

I agree though, a Garmin is the best way to spend money on navigation.

cadigirlchicago2
10-29-11, 06:58 PM
So, you got a cheaper price to begin with, and now have 6 additional free months. And you are complaining why? Because you lost 25 minutes of your life? Sounds like they did more than they should be reasonably expected to.

The reason I'm complaining is because it was a huge hassle. It was unacceptable and never should have happened to begin with. I think you'd be ticked off too if you bought something and was told uh sorry, the 3 mths we agreed to give you aren't what you thought you were getting. Yes, they made it right but it was beyond annoying plus a waste of time. So....that's WHY I'm complaining. I think that's the least they could do - they screwed up plus the advisor was beyond rude. I also thought it would be NICE of me to warn the rest of you because many other members called to get the same package, just wanted to give everyone the heads up incase it happens to others.

stevec5375
10-29-11, 08:21 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am still stewing over this 4 hours later and wanted to tell you all what happened to me today. So over a year ago, I renewed my onstar directions and connections package. Thanks to the tips on the forum, I negotiated the 1 year contract plus 3 mths free plus 100 phone minutes. Sweet. Today, I pressed my button for directions and the witch that took the call told me that this would be my last set of directions since I only have safe & sound plan. I told her, no, you are mistaken, I have directions and connections. :tisk: Well, ended up getting into a battle with her over what package I had and I immediately told her to get me her supervisor. :mad: Guy comes on the line and says no, after your 1 year the extra 3 mths are only safe and sound package! WTF? :mad:Um, no.....why in the world would I negotiate an extra 3 mths of a package that is of no use to me? Makes ZERO sense! Long story short wanted to warn everyone who negotiated a better contract incase this happens to you as well. My blood was boiling and I requested customer care. I finally got someone who was nice and she said that they will review the call and escalate to upper managment. She gave me an extra 3 mths so now I have 6 extra months of DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS. This totally wasted 25 min of my time this morning not to mention it totally ticked me off. I told them that I was a member of the forum here and that I'd be sure to post about my experience. I'm seriously thinking about just buying a nice Garmin after the 6 mths are up. On star is nice but I think it's way too expensive considering what they offer. Yes, it's nice to have it built in with the extra features like accident sensors etc but still. Have any of you ditched on star for a garmin or like and are you happy with the switch?

Glad to hear that things eventually worked out in your favor. However, if you go to the OnStar web site and login, it will show you what kind of account you have "Safe and Sound" or "Directions and Connections" on the right side of the screen. I would recommend after any renewal that you go online and make sure AT THAT TIME that you have what you "think" you paid for. Also, you must not take big advantage of the features of Directions and Connections if an entire year goes by before you realize you don't have it. Why pay the extra $100/year if you don't use the features of this plan?

cadigirlchicago2
10-29-11, 08:50 PM
Well, since I use directions and connections multiple times weekly, I think it's obvious what package I had. It's not like this is the first time I've pressed the button in a year to get directions.
Hey, I was just trying to be helpful - take it for what it's worth. On star clearly screwed up and I just wanted to give everyone else the heads up - like I said before, when you negotiate something, does it make any sense to anyone that they would downgrade the package to safe and sound? I figured you guys would agree with me on how stupid it was.

JimmyH
10-29-11, 09:04 PM
There is no reason to take things so personally. We appreciate your info and warning. I just think you overreacted based on your account of what happened. Considering Onstar gave you a bonus, a free three months of anything, I feel it's a little unappreciative on your part to be upset that it wasn't exactly what you thought you were getting. As for the hassle of having to call them and spend an hour on the phone, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's part of life. If you are expecting every service you pay for in life to perform exactly the way you expect it to, you are in for a letdown.

inspectorudy
10-30-11, 12:28 AM
This story with OnStar is exactly why I let my wife handle things like this. I do not have the patients nor the personality to work with a person whom I think has screwed me. My wife treats them like long lost friends and gets it all worked out without any trouble. The thing is I KNOW my limitations.

Razorecko
10-30-11, 10:31 AM
cad- did you ever get your other srx problems resovled ? If you have issues with dealing with Onstar than you better have some anxiety medication on hand if you ever have to call XM

Marc NY
10-30-11, 11:20 AM
There is no reason to take things so personally. We appreciate your info and warning. I just think you overreacted based on your account of what happened. Considering Onstar gave you a bonus, a free three months of anything, I feel it's a little unappreciative on your part to be upset that it wasn't exactly what you thought you were getting. As for the hassle of having to call them and spend an hour on the phone, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's part of life. If you are expecting every service you pay for in life to perform exactly the way you expect it to, you are in for a letdown.JimmyH I could not have said that any better... :wisdom:

Unfortunately in all walks of life you will encounter those kind of bumpy roads... it is how you handle and deal with those kind of issues that will help you smooth out those bumps.

BTW: There is no better place for members who are looking to share their experiences and for advice than to come to forums like this one.

JimmyH
10-30-11, 12:22 PM
This story with OnStar is exactly why I let my wife handle things like this. I do not have the patients nor the personality to work with a person whom I think has screwed me. My wife treats them like long lost friends and gets it all worked out without any trouble. The thing is I KNOW my limitations.

If you are a doctor, that has to be a huge problem for you :bouncy:

SRX312
10-30-11, 12:46 PM
Dear CadiGirl...I fully understand your position and reaction to how you were treated by OnStar. And I thank you for reporting this situation to us on the forum. What surprises me is that other members of this forum have personal issues with other people's anger and that it seems to upset them and maked them come down on you...the actual victim in this situation. Sounds to me like these people are taking too much Valium and Prozac...and have lost their normal and expected human feelings, emotions, passions when something like this happens. Of course you would get rip roaring mad to find out the plan you bought was changed without full disclosure and it makes one mad to be mistreated by a customer service rep. And for those of us who are super busy in life, we dont have the time to waste 25 mintues during our waking hours. We're not sitting around smoking pot with the #OWS crowd, we're not beach bums in California, we're not surfing for a living in Hawaii. We're busy to the max. We dont have time for this. We dont treat other people like this or run our own businesses like this. You were mistreated and of course it would be upsetting. I support you and understand. Thank you for your post. Please continue to post on this forum any time you want !!

algiorda
10-30-11, 01:37 PM
Hi Everyone!

Have any of you ditched on star for a garmin or like and are you happy with the switch?

I assume you do not have the Navigation Unit installed in your SRX?

My NAV unit in the SRX blows away any Garmin unit. I am so impressed with the directions and the routes the Nav unit selects for me in my Geographic area. I have only used OnStar directions ONCE and that was when I was driving and I needed a waypoint to an address which couldn't be entered while I was moving. VERY HANDY!

sube5186
10-30-11, 03:20 PM
One of the biggest differences between a Garmin (or any other brand) and the SRX's Nav is the size of the screen. 8 inches is huge compared to most stand alone Nav units, and even surpasses the size of most built-in units. I was browsing at new cars the other week with a friend and the first thing I noticed was how small some of the nav screens were. Then it dawned on me. They weren't small. Ours is just big. The pop-up design also puts the screen higher than in most cars, and therefore closer to ones line of sight, making it safer to use.

OnStar came into existence at a time when no cars had built-in navigation systems. Now, using Directions & Connections is kind of redundant. Even when I was still in the free trial period I always had OnStar download directions to the car, as opposed to them telling me where to turn. It felt a little creepy having some complete stranger talking to me in the privacy of my own car. Probably just my own hangup, but creepy none the less.

Sube

frankrizzo135
10-30-11, 03:58 PM
I am on your side and agree with you 100%. I know how you feel because I have been in the situation myself. It's not really the 25 minutes you or I have spent on the phone ,it is dealing with the incompetence of some of these so called "service rep's" . They do not know how to explain themselves or really how to resolve an issue. My similiar issue started off with xm radio after the trial period. I was promised something by one of them and after a period another one told me the deal I received was not what I got and had to pay more for what I have. Eventually I told them to take their XM RADIO and XXXXXX it. I do not need to pay and pay extra again to listen to a radio when I have other sources to use. As far as onstar I called to delete the auto-renewal feature on my account. I have heard if they renew your account and you decide that you do not want the service,it is tough getting your money back.

JimmyH
10-30-11, 04:02 PM
Directions and Connections makes more sense for the lower end vehicles, like my Camaro, that doesn't have built in nav. It's pretty slick actually, because upcoming turns and distances display on both the DIC in the gauge cluster and on the radio display.

Lord Cadillac
10-30-11, 05:40 PM
Hi Everyone!

Thank you for posting about your experience. Unfortunately sometimes "these things happen". If the customer service representatives you spoke with were nasty and/or disrespectful, than I hope GM/Cadillac looks into this as the call was probably recorded. In the end, I'm happy to hear everything worked out. I think the deal you now have is probably worth the time you spent on the phone. But like you mentioned, it should have never happened...

This is exactly how I handle things... :p

stevec5375
10-30-11, 08:09 PM
Oh Lord, would it be alright if I complained about how mistreated I've been by OnStar? Some of us don't chose to have wives to hide behind. (Or want the bother of bitchy females for that matter.) ;)

cadigirlchicago2
10-30-11, 09:34 PM
Dear CadiGirl...I fully understand your position and reaction to how you were treated by OnStar. And I thank you for reporting this situation to us on the forum. What surprises me is that other members of this forum have personal issues with other people's anger and that it seems to upset them and maked them come down on you...the actual victim in this situation. Sounds to me like these people are taking too much Valium and Prozac...and have lost their normal and expected human feelings, emotions, passions when something like this happens. Of course you would get rip roaring mad to find out the plan you bought was changed without full disclosure and it makes one mad to be mistreated by a customer service rep. And for those of us who are super busy in life, we dont have the time to waste 25 mintues during our waking hours. We're not sitting around smoking pot with the #OWS crowd, we're not beach bums in California, we're not surfing for a living in Hawaii. We're busy to the max. We dont have time for this. We dont treat other people like this or run our own businesses like this. You were mistreated and of course it would be upsetting. I support you and understand. Thank you for your post. Please continue to post on this forum any time you want !!

Thank you! I wasn't looking to be scolded or bashed, I just didn't want this annoyance to happen to anyone else. I didn't think it was so wrong to expect for what I paid for. And....that was the least onstar could do for me for the waste of my time and their screw up. Anyways, thanks for the nice note!

PJ1520
10-31-11, 12:44 AM
Too many folks on this forum complain but DO TOO LITTLE OR NOTHING constructive to rectify a misunderstanding, a perceived incompetence, or an outright stonewall on an service issue when they are in the right. Being in the right gets you nothing. Standing your ground and expecting to get what you contracted and paid for does. This is especially true when the discussions should be kicked up a rung or two on the chain of command ladder. Consequently, businesses knowingly or unknowingly come to accept an internal culture of poor customer service. Then all consumers suffer.

I don't need OnStar or XM/Sirius, or GM for that matter; I choose to buy their products and services.....and I will accept nothing less from either of them having made that choice and having reached an agreement on the subscription service or vehicle. Repeat, nothing less.

I chalk this one as a consumer victory, even if caddygirl was just standing on principal (which she wasn't) and the dollars and cents were not worth the hassle (they were).

Re guys handing off "negotiations" to their better half when discussions break down..........in my household, that would be total overkill; and I would be indicted for criminal crimes against humanity were I to do so. :lildevil:

PJ

Lord Cadillac
10-31-11, 10:51 AM
Since there are two comments in regards to passing off "customer service" calls to "the wife", I'll respond. I'm actually incredibly good dealing with people - especially irate people. However, I don't sweat the small stuff and let my wife handle things that a secretary might. Since she's quite happy doing just that, it continues to happen. If for some reason things get out of control and she can't handle it, I come in, act like an unemotional robot and finish the call. It rarely comes to that.

JimmyH
10-31-11, 02:51 PM
You definitely are an unemotional robot. C-3P0 would be ashamed of you.

Razorecko
10-31-11, 07:36 PM
so cad girl, did you ever get the other issues you had with your srx resolved ? and where did you end up going for the service ?

cadigirlchicago2
10-31-11, 08:07 PM
so cad girl, did you ever get the other issues you had with your srx resolved ? and where did you end up going for the service ?

Hey Razorecko!

Well, that flutter noise seems to really gotten quiet so I've almost forgotten about it. The shutter of the RPM guage still happens from time to time despite the fact that I have stuck with BP gas at all times now and stayed away from Citgo. Been busy and just haven't done anything. I am due for an oil change and I think I'll just go to Steve Foley and see how that works out. It's just too far for me to drive to the other place you suggested. But....if things get noisy again, I'll re consider.

daddie2k3
11-01-11, 09:28 AM
so im curious on how much did you pay for the 1 year service with extra 3 months and if those 3 months will work with on star app because i will have to renew soon....but i totally agree with you having to debate with somebody over that

cadigirlchicago2
11-01-11, 12:53 PM
so im curious on how much did you pay for the 1 year service with extra 3 months and if those 3 months will work with on star app because i will have to renew soon....but i totally agree with you having to debate with somebody over that
If you go back in the threads to about October of last year, I think Sube or another member was posting tips on renewing with on star, I requested that rate, with the 3 additional mths and 100 minutes.

smiley47
11-01-11, 01:21 PM
If you go back in the threads to about October of last year, I think Sube or another member was posting tips on renewing with on star, I requested that rate, with the 3 additional mths and 100 minutes.

So why can't you tell him what you paid? People on this board (including me) have been very helpful whenever you have had problems or questions.

cadigirlchicago2
11-01-11, 01:42 PM
Seriously, what is up with everyone???? You're asking me to recall how much I paid for something that was 1 year ago??? Really??? Sorry but I can't remember half the time what I paid 2 weeks ago let alone 1 year ago. Geeze, stop with the attacks. :thehand: This has NOTHING to do with how helpful anyone has or hasn't been. The price that I negotiated is in the thread about renewing with on star - look it up and it's all there. Plus, it's been a year anyways, I'm sure the negotiated rate changed. Also, I just re asked the question about a month ago and I think it was Sube who answered me.

By the way, here's the link to the old thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/216967-onstar-subscription-renewal.html

smiley47
11-02-11, 01:18 PM
"attacks"?? What attacks?

daddie2k3
11-03-11, 11:45 AM
first i want to say thanks smiley!!...but i wasnt going to say anything at first but when i seen the attacks comment i had to....so this post was about you had a hassle with onstar and you lost time of your life that you didnt think was needed so i was thinking the same thing about me going from page to page or search for something when a topic is on the first page mmmm so i was in your same boat of being a little upset because when i did search and find it, the topic only talked about safe and sound package but you were talking about getting directions which i thought was directions and connections package so there i was back at the drawing board of not knowing how much is the discount price of the directions and connections package because i was told thats the package you have to use with the app but even if thats not true about the app i still dont know price so.....moral of my post "do unto others as you would want them to do unto you" food for thought

P.S. if you dont remember something i think it would be easlier to say "i dont remember"....have a great day and hope you dont get hassled again!!

cadigirlchicago2
11-03-11, 01:41 PM
For those select few who keep looking for trouble were there isn't get off your high horses and come back down to reality. I was more than helpful in my response. Really - what a bunch of whiny cry babies you all are. Grow up and man up and quick giving a lady a hard time. I did nothing wrong. You are all looking for trouble where there is NONE. I have been more than helpful and very appreciative of any help or tips I have gotten here. I have posted many thank you notes for all the helpful information I have gotten and again, it's thanks to Sube that I got the rate that I got. How dare you call me out and accuse me of withholding information. Really? Maybe you should think before you go on the attack and call people out. Yeah that was my intention, to purposely withhold information about how much I paid for my onstar. I am absolutely shocked to say the least. Please do not reply to this message, I quite frankly don't care what other remarks you have to add. Grow up and quit picking on a woman!

JimmyH
11-03-11, 02:08 PM
There is a reason there are few women on auto forums. You have to have a thick skin, and be able to accept criticism. The only person really complaining in this thread is you. You feel Onstar has wronged you, and several of us disagree. If you don't think we are entitled to our opinions, then I am sorry, but that is your problem.

Once again, we appreciate you sharing your info and your story though.

JimmyH
11-03-11, 02:09 PM
fwiw, I would never give Onstar my business anyway, because it is not worth it to me for the price they want.

daddie2k3
11-03-11, 02:17 PM
I will be the first to apologize as my intentions was not to pick on you but to point out how I felt because I'm only searching for info on pricing on direction and connections package before I start a new topic but I wouldn't pick up on you if you was a man because I rather not argue I just wanted you understand my position so doesn't matter if you didn't remember or didn't want to share I respect it if you say it but I have learned a lot today and I want to still would like to say have a nice day!!

P.S. thank you for the link you did provide as I forgot to say thanks in last response and I also apologize for posting in your topic after you request me not to but just wanted to let you know no hard feelings because I don't do message board wars so continue to enjoy your nice car as you have good taste like me ;)

cadigirlchicago2
11-03-11, 03:17 PM
Ok, you go take your car in for service and have someone tell you sorry mr so and so we know you bought the extended warranty that is supposed to cover everything but sorry, we decided that neh, we're not covering the work done today - sorry too bad so sad. We downgraded what we told you that you purchased and didn't tell you about it. I'm sure you'd be mad too. That was the point I was making about onstar. I PAID for something and THEY tried to rip me off and change the rules downgrading the additional 3 mths to a plan I have zero use for. Just to put this all to rest, I did do my research and checked back on every single monthy diagnosic report and it says I have directions and connections, not safe and sound and additionally, that the directions/connections was valid thru the end of January. So....again for all of you who think I'm complaining for nothing, I clearly have something to complain about. I didn't do anything wrong and I am well within my boundries to stand up and fight for what I rightfully paid for. I thought I was being really thoughtful and kind to everyone to return the many favors I have gotten here and giving some useful info again just trying to help. But oh no, the negative nellies have to jump down my throat and rip me a new one. The purpose of the board is to share info.

You all took my post way out of context and took it to a place that it never should have gone. I am a woman, obviously, and I have just as much of a right to be here as the rest of you. I do have thick skin, some of you just happen to picked a fight over something that you completely mis read and treated me very poorly, I have never been rude or out of line with anyone here. Again, I didn't want to see another member go thru the grief that I had to endure so I wanted to tell everyone what happened, like a hey, heads up, this happened to me, if you negotiated the same package, be on the look out for a possible sudden downgrade, even thought you shouldn't be downgraded. That's it.

I can't believe I am taking the time to even explain this to some of you - if you read it correctly the first time, you'd see that my intentions were good. I certainly did not start the war - the first post after mine was nasty and mean and I was accused of complaining for nothing. That was uncalled for and certainly not appreciated.

I post useful info to help others and get a new *** chewed. Great way to treat a member guys!

PJ1520
11-03-11, 07:31 PM
.............You all took my post way out of context and took it to a place that it never should have gone.........

I didn't.

Aren't at least some of us fed up with any bait and switch, like the one discussed here? And what I find truly amazing is how each of us, one by one, has to "negotiate" price on either OnStar or XM/Sirius in the first place. What's with that?

Or chase them down after we cancel a subscription because one or the other keeps billing our credit card. What's with that?

Or argue with a dealership service manager over a (larger $) item or problem with the SRX, are told that the (racket, gasoline sloshing in the tank, hard shifts, turbo lag, malfunctioning A/C, fill in the blank) is normal, then have to point out to them the issue is clearly covered in a TSB......and then the final insult, have to print out the freakin' TSB and show it to him/them! What's with that?

Is your wasted time worth nothing to you when you have to fight for something that should be a done deal in the first place?

So I ask you fellow forum members........where do you draw the line? At what dollar amount? At what degree of annoyance or severity or personal expense? At what point do you feel that the principal of the matter is worth your while pursuing, regardless of what it would alternatively cost you to simply capitulate and take care of it (eat it) out of pocket? Is it $1, or $100, $1,000, or three months of a subscription service?

Expect (or demand) what you have a perfect right to expect, better service, and you will probably get it. Accept less, do nothing, and poor service will continue and follow you wherever you go.

PJ

PS: BTW.......no offense intended to anyone here. Complaining relieves stress, as long as it is followed up with action and success, even if the victory is just a moral victory. The advice/support I have received here on this forum has bailed me out time and again.

JimmyH
11-03-11, 07:40 PM
^I am confused. Are those your words, PJ, in bold, inside the quote? If so, you might want to fix that.

PJ1520
11-03-11, 07:48 PM
Sorry Jimmy. I noticed that and fixed it. PJ

JimmyH
11-04-11, 12:58 PM
you still had it in the quote. I fixed it for you.

Lord Cadillac
11-04-11, 01:14 PM
ENOUGH!

It appears there's a possibility you could have your OnStar service downgraded without your knowledge. For some stupid reason you must watch this.

End of subject.

Thank you.