: Help with choosing new STS color combo

burma
11-01-04, 12:18 PM
I'm getting ready to purchase a new STS 1SG, and while I know colors are a personal choice, I'm having the hardest time deciding on a combo. I've tried searching for exterior/interior pictures on the net but haven't seen much if at all.
Also my dealer has a limited # of colors (most black or silver) on the lot.

The colors I'm looking at are as follows (all with the Ebony interior):

1. Black Raven (hard to keep clean)
2. White Diamond (not exactly a pure white - but I've only seen it on Cadillac's site)
3. Light Platinum (seems sort of bland for some reason - dull/matte not shiny)
4. Sand Storm (looks luxurious but again I haven't seen it except on Cadillac's site)

So are there any links to online pictures of the STS in these colors? Any tips/recommendations.

Thanks!

megeebee
11-01-04, 03:34 PM
I'm getting ready to purchase a new STS 1SG, and while I know colors are a personal choice, I'm having the hardest time deciding on a combo. I've tried searching for exterior/interior pictures on the net but haven't seen much if at all.
Also my dealer has a limited # of colors (most black or silver) on the lot.

The colors I'm looking at are as follows (all with the Ebony interior):

1. Black Raven (hard to keep clean)
2. White Diamond (not exactly a pure white - but I've only seen it on Cadillac's site)
3. Light Platinum (seems sort of bland for some reason - dull/matte not shiny)
4. Sand Storm (looks luxurious but again I haven't seen it except on Cadillac's site)

So are there any links to online pictures of the STS in these colors? Any tips/recommendations.

Thanks!

I believe the reason you haven't seen Sand Storm is that the color has been on hold at the factory, at least until recently. Of all the colors you've listed though, I would encourage you to chose it. As you say, Black is a bugger to keep clean. As a rule, mid-tone metallic paints are easiest to keep looking decent in wetter- dirtier climates. The contrast of this color with the black interior would be very classy indeed. White, even the metallic White Diamond, make cars like the STS look fat and ill defined. I write this with all due respect to those who have this color on their vehicles. But, when I say "cars like the STS" I mean tall, large sedans with little or no chrome trim. It is chrome trim that best balances white and light colors, in my opinion. That, and the creases in the STS's body are almost masked by white, as well as black. The mid-tone metallics seem to my eye the best at showing, rather than hiding these details.
As an aside, the one I ordered is in Moonstone. This may be a good compromise between the Light Platinum and Black.

teja2
11-01-04, 04:18 PM
As an aside, the one I ordered is in Moonstone. This may be a good compromise between the Light Platinum and Black.

Ohhh saw one of these at a dealership last weekend, very sharp! :yup:

harryctsv
11-01-04, 04:21 PM
hi there,

Iīll get mine in moonstone or silver-smoke with cashmere interior.

as you sayd, itīs a choice who everybody have to decide by its own.

harry

golfkt
11-01-04, 04:46 PM
I just took delivery of a Sandstone with Cashmere interior. It is GREAT looking.

tdogg5184
11-01-04, 06:04 PM
One thing also to consider is keeping the interior looking good. We have the light shale interior in our 2000 STS and it gets dirty very easily. The seats and armrest always look dirty. My camaro is black and it keeps fairly clean as long as you wipe the dash down and dont smoke in your car. I have grey in my Envoy and it by far the asiest to keep looking great. I will be getting our new sts with grey. Just thought i would throw that out there. BTW Moonstone looks awesome! It would be between that and black for me. I get my cars washed once a week so its not a huge deal keeping exterior clean.

DVos
11-02-04, 10:02 AM
I went black on black with mine. It gets a ton of looks. I think the grille and the headlamps pop a little more against a dark background.

robert
11-02-04, 10:19 AM
I know you didn't mention Redline paint, but redline exterior and interior dark/ light gray, it looks mighty dazzling and nice, but everyone wants a color they like. good luck with choosing your color. A friendly little tip on paint upkeep, if you can, always wash your car youself and never use soap on it no matter how dirty it is. I found that the best wax to use is Meguiars yellow professional carnuba paste wax. My 1998 STS, that I sold to a lady that had been trying to buy it for 1 1/2 years, looked like it should have been on the dealers showroom floor.(of course the interior, engine, and trunk was spotless)

Young DeVille
11-02-04, 03:54 PM
I've always liked Moonstone... But that me. Enjoy your new STS and sure you will find a color that you will like.

PTC Sclade
11-02-04, 04:24 PM
We just ordered Black Raven with the cashmere. We looked at and test drove black on black. We then went back and sat in light plat with ebony. Have not seen any of the other colors on the street or at the dealer. I have had two previous black cars and never thought much about it - lived in Michigan then. Now am in Georgia and thought about the heat but the black still won the battle. Everyone gravitates to a black car. Keeping them clean is not as bad as you think. I use a pure wax that is so easy to apply it really is no bother. Takes me hour and half to do my 03 White Diamond Escalade. Pick what your heart tells you to, or if you are going to keep the car a long time (we keep them at least 10 years) pick the color you can live with the longest. Have fun and emjoy. Making the decision is almost as much fun as buying the car. Good luck! Hope it comes in a timely manner. Mine with the 1SF package is on constraint because of the moon roof.

Paul

burma
11-02-04, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the input. For some reason I've been stuck on dark interiors/Enboy, but Cashmere looks very classy. Is it a PITA to keep clean? I only had dark leather interiors. I assume you'd see all sorts of dirts on the carpet in a light interior, and stains, etc. And from other light colored interiors I've seen, the beige/cashmere leather seems to show it's age more quickly. I wonder how true this is on the STS.

If I had a daily detailer, I'd go with black/cashmere w/o any hesitation. It seems to be the nicest color combo to me, but one that everyone seems to scare me away from. I live in the Boston area, but I keep my car clean and handwash it once a week. So I'm a neat freak, but am afraid of swirl marks on the black and the cashmere aging badly (even with the weekly cleaning) over the years. And I DO plan to keep this car for 5+. Do I follow my heart or do I stay a bit practical? Damn!

tdogg5184
11-02-04, 08:50 PM
Well I would get black again in a heartbeat, it just has such a presance. It seems to look rich and classy, same with the cashmere leather interior. I did not and do not clean the leather very often in the STS and we use it in the worst weather when there is slush/mud and salt all over inside. If you plan on cleaning the leather once a week i would not worry about it and go for what you want. I would never steer someone away from a black car all three of mine are, I got them even among all the threats of how horrible they can look. Oh and when you do wash your car you should always use a carwash soap because it lubricates the paint while your scrubbing ang keeps the dirt from scratching the paint while you wash. If you dont use soap you can swirl up that balck finish. Just always use it sparingly. Go with whatever colors you feel the most comfortable with.

PTC Sclade
11-03-04, 11:06 AM
Hi again! Very interesting to hear all points of view. I owned a 91 Bonneville SSE black with tan. Always handwashed it and kept it waxed. Never had any problems with swirl marks. The wax I use now is so easy and never leaves a mark. Spray it on and rub it off with a microfiber cloth. Lasts 6-9 months no problem but that is in Georgia with no road salt. Should last at least 6 months anywhere else. Like was said, if you use a car wash soap and soft towels to dry it, black will stay as good as any car out there. As far as the leather goes, Cadillac says to use nothing on it but clean it with mild soap and water like Woolite. Have not had to do that yet but I do wipe it down every week with a damp cloth. Have fun with whatever and enjoy.

I also bought some beautiful after market embroidered floor mats with the Cadillac logo them. I put protecto mats over them for the rainy months. Much better than the factory mats with a deeper pile and terrific embroidery work. The mats have a lifetime guarantee as well. Also, when needed, you can easily clean the carpet with a mixture of warm water and clear ammonia which will cut all grease marks. That is an old retail store trick for spot cleaning carpet. Just sort of of soak/rub it out and then rub dry with a dry towel. In addition to the mats I have an embroidered underhood insulator that I got from the same source. Really is cool.

Paul

robert
11-03-04, 03:38 PM
To: PTC Schade
Where did you get the after market STS floor mats, and do they match the cadillac carpet?

dunroven
11-03-04, 07:49 PM
Anyone seen Silver Smoke with Light Gray interior? I've just placed an order for this combo as my girl friend does not care for brown/tan shades.
I'm in a very remote area where we have virtually no access to real life examples so would appreciate any forum member opinions.
-john

PTC Sclade
11-03-04, 08:38 PM
Hi John!

Was at the dealer a couple of days ago and they had just taken a light platinum with grey interior off the truck and got it cleaned up. Very nice looking and sort of unique. We had thought about the light plat with black and had seen one but again the black won out. I have not seen an STS in silver smoke but have seen a CTS with that combination. The light plat with the grey interior was the first grey interior I had seen in the STS. I liked it much better than the two-tone CTS interior. Very clean looking. Good Luck and enjoy.

Paul

PTC Sclade
11-03-04, 08:47 PM
I got the mats for my 03 Esclade, steering wheel cover, and underhood insulator from CAR Motorsports. They are an advertiser in this forum. You will see them once you choose a forum such as this one. You can go directly to their website by clicking on the ad. They have some good pictures. They are very close to the factory carpeting. They have two types of pile - sort of thinner and then deeper. I took the deeper one since it is very luxurious. You will be able to get a color pretty close to what you have or maybe a contrasting color. The embroidery is terrific. I believe the website will give you a phone number as well and you can talk directly to them. Matter of fact I just found the phone number in my records of the person I talked to. It is 770-486-8047. I have found they really stand behind their products and are very easy to deal with. It is also where I get my wax and other goodies to take of the vehicle as well. Hope you are successful. Get back to me if you need any more info. The web page for the floor mats is [url http://www.carmotorsports.com/floormats.htm[/url]

Paul

dunroven
11-03-04, 09:34 PM
Thanks Paul!!
I haven't seen one single post referencing the Light Gray interior. I am feeling much better now. I'm looking forward to comments about the Silver Smoke exterior.
-john

dunroven
11-03-04, 09:44 PM
Here is an awesome picture I found on the Motortrend website. I'm thinking this might be silver smoke. Look pretty good, doesn't it?
(What is that other car doing in the picture?)
-john

harryctsv
11-04-04, 05:10 AM
john,

that`s only a bmw!!!

yeep, the silver smoke looks real good!

Harry

teja2
11-04-04, 06:08 PM
That does look like the Silver Smoke. However, in person (to me) the Silver Smoke on the STS and CTS looks way too much like gray primer paint (with gloss). Bleck. :eek:

Rauf
11-05-04, 08:40 PM
And what do you think about light platinum?

majax
11-05-04, 10:02 PM
Black! with a Cream interior and light colored wood!

dunroven
11-11-04, 07:57 PM
And what do you think about light platinum?
I am so torn between the Light Platinum and the Silver Smoke. My girlfriend prefers the Silver Smoke and I think I'm leaning towards the Light Platinum. She doesn't really care however. She has only dug in her feet on the interior. She will not stand for the light brown and wants Light Gray.

Someone here in the forum referenced the Silver Smoke as primer color and that has stuck in my craw since. What do the rest of you think about Light Platinum?

Thanks,

-john

krypt
11-12-04, 12:30 AM
Yeah, go with the light platinum, it shines in the sun and glows in the moonlight.
Light grey is a great color to match with it. The only problem is that this color combination can make the car look a bit dull and boring sometimes.

The ebony will show every small particle and become ugly fast. The brown dash of the cashmere is just flat out ugly. People complain about shale/neutral interiors getting really dirty, but I've only had a few problems and those were easy to fix (graphite from hands and grease from dealer)

My favorite interior color is that of the LS430 (ecru with a grey dash), it's really really nice looking. If only Cadillac could 1 up that...