: anyone ever turbo an XLR

RADARB8
10-28-11, 10:34 PM
This fleabay add ends in 5 mins. but might still be up...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT45-TURBOCHARGER-TURBO-600-HP-UNIVERSAL-T4-T66-3-5-V-BAND-1-05-A-R-92-TRIM-/170718166432?fits=Make:Cadillac|Model:XLR&hash=item27bf987da0&item=170718166432&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I am sure it is NOT American made, but has anyone ever done a tubo in an XLR.. I am thinking about buying an XLR if the price was right...and would love to have xtra hp..
I own a 2006 CTSV and i have put 21grand into a rear turbo 76mm..700hp but the XLR is a much nicer looking car....:alchi:

GizmoQ
10-29-11, 03:20 AM
This fleabay add ends in 5 mins. but might still be up...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT45-TURBOCHARGER-TURBO-600-HP-UNIVERSAL-T4-T66-3-5-V-BAND-1-05-A-R-92-TRIM-/170718166432?fits=Make:Cadillac|Model:XLR&hash=item27bf987da0&item=170718166432&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I am sure it is NOT American made, but has anyone ever done a tubo in an XLR.. I am thinking about buying an XLR if the price was right...and would love to have xtra hp..
I own a 2006 CTSV and i have put 21grand into a rear turbo 76mm..700hp but the XLR is a much nicer looking car....:alchi:

An interesting idea. I've seen one with electric superchargers, but never a turbo. And I know of one of the guys in the STS-V forum who replaced his supercharger with a turbo.

I'm working on a centrifugal supercharger for my 4.6L NorthStar in my Eldo (6lbs max boost). From what I've been able to gather, anything more than that and you need to strengthen the internals and stud the heads.

RADARB8
10-29-11, 07:18 AM
What brand is the supercharger??? and is it basically a bolt in and tune or are u a do it yourselfer....:alchi:

GizmoQ
10-29-11, 02:47 PM
It's a TRD off a Scion TC. And everything has to be custom to fit it. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a tune on a 96 Northstar. I gotta guy that's willing to experiment on it.

RADARB8
10-30-11, 02:53 AM
thanks guys, looks like if i get an XLR..I shall keep it stock..

GizmoQ
10-30-11, 03:35 AM
thanks guys, looks like if i get an XLR..I shall keep it stock..

Good choice. But express your originality with wheels and tires. If you must - add a V rear sway bar, an intake, exhaust and a tune which is not far from stock; cheap by comparison and will make a difference.

pcmcalibrators
11-04-11, 06:58 PM
I can can help you out if you want to do this. I would start with a 2007 or newer XLR to make it easy. I can do it on a 2004 +, but it will cost more.

RADARB8
11-04-11, 07:27 PM
why is it easier on the 2007????

ccclarke
11-04-11, 07:32 PM
The N* is basically the same for all base XLRs, no matter the year. Why would you charge more to turbocharge an '04? Have you turbocharged any XLRs yet?

There's probably been more smoke blown on engine mods for this car than the rest of the Cadillac lineup combined, and usually by people with little or no experience with the XLR, which is a totally different animal when it comes to reliable modifications. Letting someone experiment on your XLR to see if something can be done is asking for trouble. . . Unless you have two XLRs.

D3 and Lingenfelter are the only companies I've seen routinely modify existing XLR engines, and it isn't cheap if you want a big HP increase. The stock compression ratio of the N* doesn't lend itself well to turbocharging, or GM would have done it already. When they wanted to reliably and efficiently increase the HP, they went with a supercharger. Nuff said.

Save your money and buy a V if it's horsepower you crave. Then modify it from there. --There aren't even PCM tuning chips for the base XLR commercially being offered.

CC

RippyPartsDept
11-04-11, 08:33 PM
i think there's something about the data bus that's different in 2007+ vehicles that makes them easier to 'hack'

alarmu12
11-06-11, 04:16 PM
If you value your 96 Eldorado and it is working fine leave it alone. The head bolts are too short and pull out, which causes the head gaskets to leak water. You can helicoil them once, but not twice. It is a $8000 to $12000 job to replace the engine and the car is not worth that much. I had to sell a mint condition triple black 96 eldo to the junk yard for a $1000 after the second engine failed.

RippyPartsDept
11-06-11, 07:49 PM
never never never ever ever helicoil a northstar

insert or stud -- it's the only way

pcmcalibrators
11-10-11, 08:49 AM
never never never ever ever helicoil a northstar

insert or stud -- it's the only way
Never stud an older Northstar. That would just cause the studs to come out of the block. The factory bolts strech as the engine goes through the heat cycle. The studs are too hard and on the older blocks they pull free

pcmcalibrators
11-10-11, 08:51 AM
why is it easier on the 2007????
We can tune 2004 to 2006 XLR's but it isn't worth it for us to do one. 2007 use a different ECM that we can tune with standard tuning software.

ccclarke
11-10-11, 12:43 PM
Never stud an older Northstar. That would just cause the studs to come out of the block. The factory bolts strech as the engine goes through the heat cycle. The studs are too hard and on the older blocks they pull free

There are inummerable threads by pros who specialize in repairing this type of all-too-common problem in the N* Engine section of this board that would disagree with you. You may revise your opinion after reading them.

CC

pcmcalibrators
11-10-11, 12:53 PM
There are inummerable threads by pros who specialize in repairing this type of all-too-common problem in the N* Engine section of this board that would disagree with you. You may revise your opinion after reading them.

CC
ummmmmm You don't understand who I am. Do some research on CalEditor, PCMCalibrators or even AJxtcman. I think any of them will testify to my knowlege. Kind of funny how that works

I have fixed more Northstars than almost anyone on this forum. I have Tuned more Northstar's than any other tuner hands down. I am a GM world Class Tech.

ccclarke
11-10-11, 02:24 PM
That's: World Class Technician. Don't sell yourself short. Try to educate the guys in the engine repair section and see what shakes out.

I'll send links to your site the next time an 07-09 XLR ECM tune question pops up on the other XLR forums.

This thread got thread-jacked anyway. I thought it was about Turbocharging.

CC

pcmcalibrators
11-10-11, 02:29 PM
I have hundreds of threads in the Northstar Section

ccclarke
11-10-11, 07:12 PM
Okay . . . Back on topic: How many Northstar Turbos have you done?

CC

pcmcalibrators
11-10-11, 07:35 PM

CC

2 more than you have
http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/videos.html

pcmcalibrators
11-10-11, 07:36 PM
The little purple thing has twin turbo's now

AJxtcman
11-10-11, 07:41 PM

CC
WOW you still don't get it

ccclarke
11-10-11, 09:05 PM
I GET it just fine. I asked a simple on-thread question and he gave me an answer. How about making a useful contribution instead of trying to stir the pot?
CC

pcmcalibrators
11-10-11, 09:51 PM
Did you watch the vidoe of the turbo Northstar that is on our site? What does it say at the top of the video of the turbo Northstar?
We have no issue installing a Turbo or a Supercharger on a 2007 + Cadillac's -- V6, Northstar, or the LSx engines

GizmoQ
11-10-11, 11:01 PM
AJ, I guess I should step in here as moderator and ask the discussion be brought back on topic or the thread gets closed, but I keep hoping someone shows up with a detailed build.

I recognize your NorthStar expertise, hell I'm still running your PCM in my Eldo (I blew up the tranny, but we knew I would), but this discussion is not just about the NorthStar. If it were, I would have moved the thread into NorthStar Performance long ago.

Its about modding the NorthStar in the electronic/computer-laden nightmare called the XLR. I am confident you're capable of executing the tune if anyone ever did mount a turbo, but the OP asked if it had ever been done in an XLR. Let's all just wait and see who has.

ccclarke
11-10-11, 11:46 PM
Good job Gizmo! This is exactly what a moderator is for.

--Besides, anyone offering their professional services on this site should consider becoming a Supporting Vendor. Maybe someone with some actual XLR experience will help us out and offer more than free publicity and self-promotion.

CC

pcmcalibrators
11-11-11, 08:10 AM
Good job Gizmo! This is exactly what a moderator is for.

--Besides, anyone offering their professional services on this site should consider becoming a Supporting Vendor. Maybe someone with some actual XLR experience will help us out and offer more than free publicity and self-promotion.

CCWe are a sponsor

OH WOW
11-16-11, 09:27 PM
This is as much fun as the sts forums..

RADARB8
11-20-11, 02:36 AM
I am the op of this thread....Looks to me like it would be a pita....i am going to start a new thread...rather then go turbo..is there a good cam, maybe made by GM that would give me about 75 more hp..thanks everyone.:alchi:

GizmoQ
11-20-11, 05:20 PM
NorthStar Performance made a cam for his older Northstar, but he never got it tuned in, otherwise not to my knowledge.

pcmcalibrators
11-20-11, 06:14 PM
I had a set of ComCams for an older Northstar and sold them to a member. I have several contact that I can have new cams built

TimmyC
11-25-11, 03:24 PM
As said the 07+ XLR can be tuned with HPTuners or EFI live among others. The 04-06 cars have a different PCM that is not supported by any of the consumer-level tuning suites. That's why it is a lot easier.

A turbo XLR would be sweet. I'd like to see somebody do it. I'll lend whatever I can if someone does it.