: New to forum - Hey Y'all - An intro and a question......

TX Wagon
10-28-11, 03:45 PM
Hey Y'all....I have been hangin around for a while and have found the forum to be very useful.

Just wanted to say "Hey".....I am the proud owner of a 2011 CTS V Sport Wagon BDE...first one in North Texas...or so I was told....she now has 9k on her and gives me the same thrill as my daily driver as it did when I picked her up new back in the spring.

I have not done any mods yet, but must admit, reading from this forum, there is a lot of temptation.

One quick question for those in the Metroplex...do all y'all run winter tires and if so, what is the tire of choice.

Much appreciated....

TX Wagon

velopod
10-28-11, 04:11 PM
I'm right with 'ya (well, 2012 I bought new) BD Vagon. After a ton of searching, decided on some Pirelli Sottozeros since they are about the only winter tire in our true stock size. Quickly ordered a set since they are on backorder all over. Not the best for deep snow (or so I've read), but we don't that much in my neck of the woods and I doubt yours. I am finding the Michelin PS2s to be about worthless in anything less than 40's degrees for traction, even on a perfectly clear day/road. Warm day - they are awesome though.

oneman42
10-28-11, 04:12 PM
Congratulations!
See this thread below:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/239690-winter-tires-michelin-pilot-pa3-blizzak.html
HTH,
George

neuronbob
10-28-11, 04:24 PM
I'm right with 'ya (well, 2012 I bought new) BD Vagon. After a ton of searching, decided on some Pirelli Sottozeros since they are about the only winter tire in our true stock size. Quickly ordered a set since they are on backorder all over. Not the best for deep snow (or so I've read), but we don't that much in my neck of the woods and I doubt yours. I am finding the Michelin PS2s to be about worthless in anything less than 40's degrees for traction, even on a perfectly clear day/road. Warm day - they are awesome though.

Actually, the SottoZeros do quite well in deep snow. Not aw well as a Blizzak, mind you, but I've never gotten stuck on the roads up here in NE Ohio. The best thing about the Sottos is that they are built very nicely for dry, cold roads. It doesn't snow every day, even here in Cleveland, after all. The handling is VERY crisp, even though the sidewalls are softer than the PS2s. I'm on my third winter with my set, having just swapped out yesterday (and just in time, too--it's fricking cold up here today!).

The Tony Show
10-28-11, 04:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

smackdownCTSV
10-28-11, 05:08 PM
http://www.hatersbehatin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bruce2-232x300.jpg

TexasTim
10-28-11, 05:38 PM
I live in Rockwall. I run summer tires year round. It only snows a two to three days a year and you don't want out with the crazies those days anyhow.

velopod
10-28-11, 05:48 PM
Actually, the SottoZeros do quite well in deep snow. Not aw well as a Blizzak, mind you, but I've never gotten stuck on the roads up here in NE Ohio. The best thing about the Sottos is that they are built very nicely for dry, cold roads. It doesn't snow every day, even here in Cleveland, after all. The handling is VERY crisp, even though the sidewalls are softer than the PS2s. I'm on my third winter with my set, having just swapped out yesterday (and just in time, too--it's fricking cold up here today!).

Excellent - thanks for the info! I grew up in NE OH now in Cincinnati. Amazing how much warmer and less snow we get down here, but people REALLY can't deal with it here at all.

JimmyH
10-28-11, 07:20 PM
congrats, and welcome to the forum!

TX Wagon
10-31-11, 12:46 PM
Thanks much. Do you find your summer tires give sufficient traction in the colder weather. Last few winters have been unusually cold and early predictions are we are in for more of the same. I was considering A/S for the winter months but happy to save the coin.

smackdownCTSV
10-31-11, 01:09 PM
It's not usually a good idea to run summer tires in freezing temps. A/S would be better. Snow/Winter would be best.

JimmyH
10-31-11, 03:53 PM
My Pzero were starting to lose grip at 50.

TexasCTSV
10-31-11, 04:10 PM
I've never heard of anyone using winter tires in DFW. Heck, I've never heard of anyone using winter tires in the entire state of Texas. You will be fine.

elphil
10-31-11, 04:35 PM
I live in the Phoenix area and if I go anywhere outside of the Valley of the Sun during the winter months I'm likely to encounter low temperatures and possible snow. Have a stack of Sottos on OZ Racing rims in the garage ready to go.

JimmyH
10-31-11, 05:07 PM
I bet they are helpful in Flagstaff.