: Wheel clicking, rearend noise= Rearend replacement and possible new 2 piece rotors

Rock1
10-28-11, 10:08 AM
Took the V in since I was starting to hear a roaring noise coming from the rear end. Heard it for a while and thought it was just tire noise but got worse and worse as well as the wheel clicking. Made my appt with the dealer dropped the car off this am just got a call rear diff is def aming noise and rather then replace the fluid they would rather replace the entire rear end (which I perfectly fine with). Wheel clicking is getting addressed with the known procedure but if it occurs again will replace the rotors with 2 piece ones. Car has 7000 miles on it as of drop off. So for now Im in a loaner CTS, thank god Im going out of town on Monday til Thurs so I wont have to drive it except for today.

hifiaudio2
10-28-11, 10:45 AM
Took mine in for wheel clicking yesterday. They reduced it, but its still there. Will wait for it to come back again full force and then take back again I guess. Would be nice to get the new rotors to fix it. Did your dealer just offer those or did you bring it up?

I guess since you have a 2011 then its clear the "newest" wheels dont fix the issue. I was hoping that buying the satin graphite wheels might fix the issue on my 09.

Rock1
10-28-11, 10:58 AM
I bought it up and he said its that or replace the wheels, but they have to clean first and go according to procedure.

Gary Wells
10-28-11, 11:38 AM
I think that it has already been determined by the GM powers that be that they are are not going to foot the bill for the 2 piece rotors. And it is not currently part of the TBS for front wheel clicking. Also, I don't know that anybody has documented proof that the 2 piece rotors will fix the wheel clicking. And I thought that they quit replacing the front wheels for wheel clicking a while back. I have not heard anybody post recently that they just got new wheels and that fixed the problem.

cdog533
10-28-11, 12:02 PM
I hope they get that rear end transplant right, but I wouldn't count on it.

Rock1
10-28-11, 02:19 PM
Gary only know what was discussed so, thus far they have taken extremely good care of me so I have no doubtbhey will do whatever it takes to get it rectified.

Cdog there mechs seem pretty competent as well I spoke specifically to the one doing my car. We know the same people/ car guys so I'm in pretty good hands from what I can tell. Ill update everyone once I get the car back

Gary Wells
10-28-11, 09:39 PM
Well, I'm sure that we are all keeping our fingers crossed for you & the repair of your car. I'm only going by past history of what's been posted on the forum.

MrMaschine
10-28-11, 11:11 PM
i had the same rear end groan and the dealer gave me the BS how the fluid never needed to be changed. I changed it outside of the dealer and the groan is all gone and i have piece of mind knowing its properly filled with good fluid. It might just be
let us know what they tell you

Rock1
11-03-11, 09:16 AM
UPDATE**Got a call from my dealer and the car is done. Im out of town but will be back tonight and pick her up in the am, I will report how it is when i pick her up.

srfx69
11-03-11, 09:34 PM
mine has 1100 miles going in for clicking next week

Gary Wells
11-03-11, 10:35 PM
My right front wheel on my '09 CTS-V sedan started clicking in left hand tight turns and u-turns at about 7312 miles. Had the TBS performed today at about 7870 miles. So far so good. It's a blessing to not have to listen to it again, at least for a while.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-04-11, 03:25 PM
Rock1,

I am glad to hear that the concern seems to be resolved. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, Cadillac Customer Service.

jft69z
11-04-11, 03:48 PM
Rock1,

I am glad to hear that the concern seems to be resolved. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, Cadillac Customer Service.

You're not the same Tricia from the "Buick customer Service" are you?

Rock1
11-06-11, 11:06 AM
Well have been driving the car and I have to say the diff may have been going (bad from factory) from the start because the car feels light a full 180. Im falling in love more then the first day I bought it. Love my dealer the service was unparalleled by any means.

TimmyC
11-06-11, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know what is actually causing this noise? What parts are coming together to make the clicking?

Gary Wells
11-06-11, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know what is actually causing this noise? What parts are coming together to make the clicking?
One of our community guesses a few years back was wheel flex in slow cornering allowing the wheel mating surface to lose contact with the rotor hat contact area and allowing a build-up of dirt, debris, minute rocks, etc., etc. Others considered wheel bearings, uneven contact surfaces, tool marks on contact surfaces. The Service Manager when I had mine in for the TSB said that it was dirt & debris working it's way between the contact surfaces.

hifiaudio2
11-06-11, 10:57 PM
Well have been driving the car and I have to say the diff may have been going (bad from factory) from the start because the car feels light a full 180. Im falling in love more then the first day I bought it. Love my dealer the service was unparalleled by any means.

Makes me want to drive to Jacksonville and have them perform the same on mine!

Gary Wells
11-07-11, 07:21 AM
So, per your paperwork, (service order completion), did they replace the complete rear end or did they change out the fluid?
And what about the new big $$ 2 piece rotors? Does your service order completion say that they replaced the rotors at their cost?
If they replaced the rear end complete it's because the rear end is a non-serviceable item supplied by the rear end manufacturer as a non-serviceable item.

JFJr
11-07-11, 12:24 PM
My right front wheel on my '09 CTS-V sedan started clicking in left hand tight turns and u-turns at about 7312 miles. Had the TBS performed today at about 7870 miles. So far so good. It's a blessing to not have to listen to it again, at least for a while.I had clicking around 6,400 miles. After the TSB no more clicking. I had the stock tires replaced at about 19,000 miles and just passed 50,000 miles. All is quiet. I hope that your experience will prove to be similar.

Jud

Gary Wells
11-07-11, 02:21 PM
I had clicking around 6,400 miles. After the TSB no more clicking. I had the stock tires replaced at about 19,000 miles and just passed 50,000 miles. All is quiet. I hope that your experience will prove to be similar.
Jud

Thanks for the post, Jud. it's reassuring to know that some times the TSB resolves the issue once and for all. 19K miles says that you are not exactly driving it like you stole it. I am just thankful to have found a local dealership that is capable, knowledgeable, and trustworthy.

JFJr
11-07-11, 02:35 PM
19K miles says that you are not exactly driving it like you stole it.Ha Haa! Only when I pass multiple cars at a time on a 2-lane road. If you don't race them, it's easy to forget how fast and stable these cars really are.

Jud :lildevil:

Rusty333
02-13-12, 10:08 AM
I have a CTS-V Black Diamond with 7,000 miles that I purchased new from Tom Peacock Cadillac in Spring, Texas. I hearda roaring noise from the rear end almost immediatley after driving it off the show room floor. I have had it back checked out twice now but the dealer tells me there is nothing wrong. The sound is getting progressivly loader. I have two questions: 1) What can I tell the dealer in order to get them to address the issue; and 2) I am planning on tracking the car this weeked at TWS - any issues with tracking the car?

Haze
02-13-12, 03:12 PM
I can't say in your case whether there is anything wrong, but I just got my CTS V Wagon back from the dealer with a new differential. The problem for me started a few thousand miles after purchase and got continually louder as a whining noise from the rear most notably between 35 and 65 MPH. The dealer confirmed that there were metal particles in the fluid, and that the car needed a new diff. According to my service guy, this is a problem with a limited number of cars from the factory that got the wrong fluid in the differential. Your dealer should be aware of the issue, and if not, then they should call GM to ask about it. If I were you, I would probably try to contact GM myself and ask if there is some way to have the dealer take the issue more seriously. I had no problems having my issue resolved, but my dealer is extremely good.

WhiplashZ
02-24-12, 06:48 PM
I can't say in your case whether there is anything wrong, but I just got my CTS V Wagon back from the dealer with a new differential. The problem for me started a few thousand miles after purchase and got continually louder as a whining noise from the rear most notably between 35 and 65 MPH. The dealer confirmed that there were metal particles in the fluid, and that the car needed a new diff. According to my service guy, this is a problem with a limited number of cars from the factory that got the wrong fluid in the differential. Your dealer should be aware of the issue, and if not, then they should call GM to ask about it. If I were you, I would probably try to contact GM myself and ask if there is some way to have the dealer take the issue more seriously. I had no problems having my issue resolved, but my dealer is extremely good.

I wasn't aware of this thread... However, I brought my CTS-V coupe with 10K miles into the dealer this week due to a growl/moan/whirring noise coming from the rear. I also mentioned a clicking noise from the front end during turns. I made the mechanic ride with me and he noticed the noises before I even got out of the parking lot (all I said to him was I've got a noise I need you to check for me). I left the car there and in an hour I got a call telling me my rear differential needed to be replaced. There was a lot of metal in the fluid. They diagnosed by putting the car in gear while on the lift and the noise from the differential got much louder. The diff isn't serviceable so the tech bulletin tells them to just replace the diff. The clicking in the front required "cleaning the surface between the rim/wheel and the rotor". The noise is gone for now. This seems very strange to see so many diffs going bad. I've had all kinds of performance cars. I drive them like they were designed to be driven. I don't abuse them. There is ZERO reason for these diffs to be failing with normal to moderately spirited driving. IMHO they should be able to handle very spirited driving and track driving. Why build a 556HP car that blows it's differential.

Good luck with your fixes. My dealership was great. In and out in 1 day with no BS or finger pointing. My understanding is the first generation cars had similar problems. Come on GM. Get the diff's right.

thebigjimsho
02-25-12, 11:21 AM
You drive a 556hp vehicle. With that sort of power a used V could have been badly abused. The diff may have a decent failure rate, but it is not bad. Cadillac did their homework on the diff after the V1 fiasco.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-27-12, 03:11 PM
@WhiplashZ, I'm glad to hear your dealership experience was great regarding this issue, and thank you for sharing your experience.

@Rusty333, I was sorry to hear you were also experiencing this noise. Were you able to resolve the issue at your dealership?

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service