: dss 1000hp anti wheel hop axles?

2007ThunderV
10-27-11, 06:35 PM
well i just installed some race axles, and i still have quiet a bit of wheel hop?
i dump the clutch around 3k in first, and around the tail end of the burnout, i get some good wheel hop, i cant compare to stock because i never dumped the clutch, i was too afraid.
did i not install them right?
i put the smaller diameter on the drivers side, everything is locktited, torqued, new oem diff fluid with additive, and its a new gm diff with 1300 km on it.
i will shoot some videos this wekend if weather permits.
i guess i should have just put the coin towards a 9 inch rear?
iam in no way bashing the dss axles, they are beafy as hell, but wtf

odthetruth
10-27-11, 06:44 PM
To my understanding, axle kits never removed wheelhop, only minimized it.

2007ThunderV
10-27-11, 06:54 PM
yea i though they do more than they did. still get wheel hop through 1-2 hard upshifting, on nice dry, flat smoth roads. i expected to still have wheel hop in the rain.
even just flooring the car in frist (from a roll) results in wheel hop. can anyone with dss race axles chime in?

darkman
10-27-11, 08:16 PM
I purchased my race axles from Hendrix, but believe they originate from DSS. In any event, they completely eliminated wheel hop during both hard launches and power shifts.

2007ThunderV
10-27-11, 08:35 PM
i dont understand then, aw well , unless there is a difference between 05s and 07s rear suspension, which there isnt other than stock axle size and a different bushing or something.
i will have to shoot a video, am i the only one with these axles that had no results with them?

Aurora40
10-27-11, 09:31 PM
unless there is a difference between 05s and 07s rear suspension
I think the '07s will still get some hop if you hammer it while pulling out a stump. But towing a trailer or plowing, no hop.

rand49er
10-27-11, 10:04 PM
I purchased my race axles from Hendrix, but believe they originate from DSS. In any event, they completely eliminated wheel hop during both hard launches and power shifts.:yeah:

2007ThunderV
10-27-11, 11:19 PM
guess i will have to research more anit wheel hop options, i would have figured these would have solved the issue but guess not, might order a bmr brace or bushings

Stepside
10-27-11, 11:44 PM
What tires are you running??

2007ThunderV
10-28-11, 12:04 AM
dunlop sp sports round 28psi

JimmyH
10-28-11, 11:20 AM
There is alot of variables. I got the Hendrix race axles also, and I still had some wheelhop. But it was greatly reduced. And on throttle oversteer, it eliminated it completely. The only place I still got significant wheelhop was on a prepped dragstrip. Considering Porsche and Ferrari have some wheelhop, those of you who have eliminated it should thank your lucky stars.

lollygagger8
10-28-11, 11:22 AM
Get rid of those run flats and your chances for wheelhop will decrease dramatically.

Plus the cold doesn't help either. Cold Tires/Cold Street = Wheelhop Inducing.

whisler151
10-28-11, 12:24 PM
dunlop sp sports round 28psi

Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST? I ran those and had ZREO wheel hop on my 07...granted i had the Gforce axles.

I dont think its the tires.

QpKFWvowfnU

DrSpeed
10-28-11, 12:41 PM
Get rid of those run flats and your chances for wheelhop will decrease dramatically.

Plus the cold doesn't help either. Cold Tires/Cold Street = Wheelhop Inducing.

Okay, this is a low traction situtation.

The only place I still got significant wheelhop was on a prepped dragstrip.

Okay, this is a high traction situation.

Sooo.....what's the skinny? There's no rhyme or reason that causes axle hop. High traction drag racing causes hop. Cold tires/asphalt causes hop.

I get it all the time. I've got the Econo Axle, and by the SOP, it feels like it got better, but is not gone.

2007ThunderV
10-28-11, 01:33 PM
i am going to live with the wheelhop, might look for another solution to aid in the situation, lollygagger was talkin about some sort of dif spacer from creative steel
might look into that as well.

Crash-Override
10-28-11, 01:33 PM
Did you change the bushings while you were under there? If not then that would be my guess as spongy or weak bushings could cause just enough movement to start the hopping and then it just continues from there.

2007ThunderV
10-28-11, 01:34 PM
Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST? I ran those and had ZREO wheel hop on my 07...granted i had the Gforce axles.

I dont think its the tires.

QpKFWvowfnU
your video is the reason i wanted axles so bad...

CadzillaTN
10-28-11, 01:52 PM
Don't want to fuel the fire here but personally I'd be pissed if I paid 1500-2000 for top if the line axles that didn't cure the hop in all but the most ridiculous conditions like 6k rpm in the rain.

The whole 'works for some but not others' argument goes out the window at that price.

2007ThunderV
10-28-11, 02:04 PM
Don't want to fuel the fire here but personally I'd be pissed if I paid 1500-2000 for top if the line axles that didn't cure the hop in all but the most ridiculous conditions like 6k rpm in the rain.

The whole 'works for some but not others' argument goes out the window at that price.
yea that is how iam feelin right now, thankfully i didnt pay full pop for these axles, but iam still sitting 1300 bones in them. i guess it is just the nature of the car.
i will try out some new tires in the spring, maby go with some real nice michelins or somethin
either that or step it up a notch and go with a v2!

JimmyH
10-28-11, 03:09 PM

Exactly why I was so disappointed in them. But, it wasn't a total loss. My V used to hop very badly on oversteer, even worse than when accelerating in a straight line. And the axles completely got rid of the the oversteer hop. So I was happy with that.

2007ThunderV
10-28-11, 08:18 PM
Did you change the bushings while you were under there? If not then that would be my guess as spongy or weak bushings could cause just enough movement to start the hopping and then it just continues from there.
i got new bushings, and a new rear end from gm under warrenty, 1300 km ago.

2007ThunderV
10-28-11, 08:20 PM
update, went for a long drive today, got the dulops real hot, stopped and did a 4k clutch dump with no hop. i even sat there for a good minute roasting the tires(poor rear brakes)
so i guess my issue is the tires, i will have to burn em off and go with something softer.

pato
10-29-11, 02:48 AM
Look into the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, just got mine a couple of weeks ago and love them!

whisler151
10-29-11, 01:36 PM
your video is the reason i wanted axles so bad...

Thanks. That was my hope with the video. These cars are a lot more fun without wheel hop. :thumbsup:

update, went for a long drive today, got the dulops real hot, stopped and did a 4k clutch dump with no hop. i even sat there for a good minute roasting the tires(poor rear brakes)
so i guess my issue is the tires, i will have to burn em off and go with something softer.

I liked the Dunlops but ended up with Nitto Invos. I really liked the Invos.

2007ThunderV
10-29-11, 01:49 PM
yea iam not to sure on what to go with next. i only have 27k on my car. prob have 27.5k on it by spring lol.
i have bfg kdw's on my 02 harley f150, and they were nice, but noisey.