: Any tips on polishing scratches out of an accessory wheel?

mstrjon32
10-27-11, 02:35 PM
So today I decided I'd try one of my signature narrow-road u-turns by turning the wheel to full lock and trying to just bring the back around with a lashing of throttle. I do this pretty often (too often...), but today it got away from me and I ended up sliding the car into the curb on the opposing side of the road (alright, I'm a dumbass). Somehow, I managed to knock 20-psi out of the rear wheel without removing it from the rim or damaging the finish on the rim at all. The front wheel, however, didn't fare as well, and I scraped up the lip quite badly. It's pretty much all on the edge of the lip, so I think I can probably get an aluminum oxide bit for the Dremel and get it looking mostly rounded out, smooth and polished again. The problem is...these damn accessory wheels are clear coated...so I'm not sure if I can just grind, polish, and clear coat these...or if there is something else I should be doing.

There always seems to be at least one wheel repair hobbyist in the crowd, so I was wondering if anyone had any pointers. All my Google searching only revealed tips for fixing painted aluminum wheels or non-clear coated polished wheels...

I'm tempted to just bring it to a pro and not deal with it, or just find another wheel, but these accessory wheels are getting hard to find...

perfect
10-27-11, 03:40 PM
That sucks! I'd be ready to pull off that rear tire that lost air pressure just to inspect the rim for a crack.

I hope the accessory wheels aren't as notoriously difficult to strip and refinish as the stock V wheels are. I've read lots of horror stories of those...

AAIIIC
10-27-11, 04:38 PM
There always seems to be at least one wheel repair hobbyist in the crowd, so I was wondering if anyone had any pointers. All my Google searching only revealed tips for fixing painted aluminum wheels or non-clear coated polished wheels...
Well, effectively, it is a painted aluminum wheel. It's just painted with clear coat. I know Duplicolor makes a clear version of their wheel paint.

But I've never refurbed a wheel, so I have nothing productive to add as far as pointers. :)