: Preformance chip

newlee
10-26-11, 10:47 PM
New to the froum
Just ordered a 2012 SRX Luxury model FWD
Has any tryed this chip and whot are your thoughts on it?

$69 Cadillac SRX Chip 60 Horsepower Increase 7 MPG Boost Custom ECU Chip Easy Installation www.GFChips.com

Lencarguy
10-27-11, 09:33 AM
From what I've read about any of these chips, about all you'll gain is a lighter wallet.

TheCaptain
10-27-11, 11:22 AM
Scam o matic. You need a tune from a pro, or someone with trifecta or something similar.

PJ1520
10-27-11, 12:31 PM
I love the advertising, though.

Isn't it funny how in a highly competitive automotive market an OEM can spend time, engineering resource, and huge development dollars on a new engine (SRX 3.6L for 2012) to squeeze out every last bit of horsepower, lb. ft. of torque, and every last tenth of a gallon of fuel economy...........and then miraculously, within 60 days of the engine's release, some aftermarket company seems to miraculously "find" another 20% in horsepower and 28% in fuel economy? And for the bargain price of $69!!!!!!!!!

SCAM does not adequately describe this kind of stuff. I am not saying that (modest) performance improvements with a chip are not possible. But if it were all this easy, we'd still be looking at a 3.0L V6 with a chip in the 2012 SRX.

And they get away with this type of fleece advertising with two words: "up to." I wish these aftermarket companies were required to to disclose proof of these bogus and exaggerated claims before they are allowed to put this stuff on the market.

PJ

greyghost04
10-27-11, 12:39 PM
PJ1520 is so right on the money about these scams. Gm spends a billion dollars to gain .5 miles per gallon, while these scams can do 4 miles per gallon gain for $69. A fool and his money are soon parted.

PJ1520
10-27-11, 12:49 PM
I almost forgot.........WELCOME TO THE FORUM NEWLEE AND CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PURCHASE OF YOUR NEW SRX! I hope you don't think these comments were meant to insult you or your intelligence. I for one am glad you asked the question. I think you will find that the folks on this forum are very helpful and courteous.

PJ

ps: You have great taste in automobiles. :highfive:

inspectorudy
10-27-11, 12:54 PM
I e-mailed Vince at trifecta and he sent me his dyno chart for his 2010 Buick with the same engine as the SRX. It shows a big gain in the lower rpm range where most of us live. It drops off from the OEM above 5500 rpm but I never go there anyway. I asked him about fuel usage and he has not gotten back to me yet. It looks like for daily use this would be a big improvement. He did say that he would recommend buying the flash cable so that your car could be reflashed when it is necessary to take it in for dealer service since they would be able to tell that it had been reprogrammed. I have only heard good things about Vince but have no first hand knowledge about him or his program.

UPDATE: Vince says that he has reprogrammed 2100 cars with no problems and that soon he will offer the program and the cable to SRX owners for $415 and you get to keep the cable to reprogram your car back to OEM specs anytime you take it in to the dealer. He also said that he would never put out a product that would harm an engine.

newlee
10-27-11, 03:24 PM
I almost forgot.........WELCOME TO THE FORUM NEWLEE AND CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PURCHASE OF YOUR NEW SRX! I hope you don't think these comments were meant to insult you or your intelligence. I for one am glad you asked the question. I think you will find that the folks on this forum are very helpful and courteous.

PJ

ps: You have great taste in automobiles. :highfive:

I did not take it as an insult. Was just curious if any one actualy had tried this as it is I saw it advertised when I first came to the forum.

JimmyH
10-29-11, 05:20 PM
FYI: the performance chips you see advertised up at the top of the forums are google network ads. We have no control over the contents of those ads. Those chips are a scam, snake oil. It irritates me that they are allowed to advertise. But as I said, we cannot control it. And we certainly don't endorse them.

Frikiton
11-07-11, 10:07 AM
Congratulations on your 2012 SRX.
How are you enjoying it ?

newlee
11-07-11, 07:02 PM
Congratulations on your 2012 SRX.
How are you enjoying it ?

It's on order. Will be another 4 to 6 weeks.