: Is this normal after a ls7 install

SRTTOCTSV
10-25-11, 10:46 PM
So I picked up my car from my mech and he installed my ls7 clutch with the aluminum ls7 flywheel and ls7 slave along with the CS MM/TM/DM. Started it up and noticed that it was allot tighter. On the driving home I noticed that the pedal engages close to the floor. I also notice that shifting had become a little difficult. I thought that the vibrations weren't that bad, but after some time on the road. I think they might be the same as before I did the mounts and the ls7 upgrade. then when I went to turn her off it shut down ruff. kinda like a bad motor mount or fly wheel but duller. is there something Im missing here.... I know that vibrations would come out a little with the harder mounts (if they were there before) but with a 19lb flywheel I would think that I shouldn't feel anything when shutting down or revving in neutral but I do. Did any one else have a problem like this after the install?

rand49er
10-25-11, 11:03 PM
Can you trust that the clutch fluid was properly bled?

SRTTOCTSV
10-25-11, 11:14 PM
Well when I picked up the car I asked him how long it took him to bleed the clutch and he said it only took two times. or something to that point. I know these cars are a pain in the ass to bleed so im starting to wonder if he didnt bleed it good enough. would a clutch that isn't bleed enough cause vibrations and shifting problems?

SRTTOCTSV
10-26-11, 12:05 AM
okay 48 views and only one response.....

GDPossehl
10-26-11, 09:15 AM
A clutch that hasn't been fully bled would cause difficulty in shifting, but as far as vibrations I'm not sure. The pedal engaging closer to the floor is normal. It will gradually get back to a normal position once it's broken in.

I'm starting to think the rough shutdown may just be the nature of these cars...

Twitch
10-26-11, 09:33 AM
As stated above: normal for the pedal and you may need more bleeding.
I didn't get any vibes before or after the LS7 clutch install.
Rough shut down,,,,,dunno. Mine has always felt the same and I'm used to it. No idea if it's better or worse than any other V. But it doesn't bother me.

Did you get the RAM flywheel? If so, did you happen to weigh it? Mine showed 16lbs on two scales.

Tony

DougNuts
10-26-11, 01:20 PM
Seems similar to my experience, but it sounds like the clutch needs bled some more.

JimmyH
10-26-11, 04:22 PM
When I had my 05, if I turned it off in gear, I had to wait a good 2-3 seconds to release the clutch. I think that's just the nature of the LS6.

lollygagger8
10-27-11, 10:32 AM
When I had my 05, if I turned it off in gear, I had to wait a good 2-3 seconds to release the clutch. I think that's just the nature of the LS6.

Saaaayyyy whhaaaaattt?

JimmyH
10-27-11, 12:46 PM
The crankshaft seemed to take longer to come to rest than any other car I have had.

CadzillaTN
10-27-11, 02:34 PM
It's fatty. When she separates, it takes longer than the already abnormally long time to stop..

SRTTOCTSV
10-27-11, 10:01 PM
I shouldn't be hearing the same sounds with the 19lb flywheel in as i did with the crapwheel that came with the car. what else could cause a ruff shut down. I read from one of darkmans post that the injectors or spark plugs could need replaced. has anyone ever replaced those two and the shutter go away? the car is going back in on Monday for the clutch to be removed and im going to take it to get balanced. I really hope that is the problem and nothing else. this car is starting to be a mod hell

JimmyH
10-27-11, 10:35 PM
If you don't want mod hell, then you should stay stock.

SRTTOCTSV
10-27-11, 11:35 PM
Mod hell isn't planed its something that's just happens. I know that any time you upgrade theirs a chance that it might go wrong. It just sucks when you drive the car every day and your down time is limited and your chasing your tail for the problem. Stock isn't any fun anyways!!!!

Twitch
10-28-11, 09:25 AM
I shouldn't be hearing the same sounds with the 19lb flywheel in as i did with the crapwheel that came with the car. what else could cause a ruff shut down. I read from one of darkmans post that the injectors or spark plugs could need replaced. has anyone ever replaced those two and the shutter go away? the car is going back in on Monday for the clutch to be removed and im going to take it to get balanced. I really hope that is the problem and nothing else. this car is starting to be a mod hell
No idea how bad your shut-down is nor anyone else's. I've changed injectors, plugs, stock MMs and same clutch as you. The shut-down seems the same.

JimmyH
10-28-11, 10:38 AM
Stock isn't any fun anyways!!!!

Quite so. But neither is messing up your DD that has to get you back and forth to work to pay for mod hell :D

Naf
10-28-11, 10:54 AM
You need a 5mm spacer and the pedal will move closer to the top...

I did it with no issues

Aurora40
10-28-11, 11:59 AM
My '06 is the same. If you turn the key off and let off the clutch, it will jerk the car. I assume that's the heavy flywheel, though my LT5 had a pretty heavy dual mass as well, and I never had to "pause" when turning the car off.

I'm interested to hear more about the OP's issue. The LS7 flywheel is something I've considered, but don't want to make the car any quirkier or rougher than it already is. Some people have suggested it smoothed out their car, sort of a mod with no downsides?

GDPossehl
10-28-11, 12:32 PM
I would imagine the LS7 flywheel has a little vibration, but not quite as bad as a FAILED dual mass.

JimmyH
10-28-11, 03:07 PM
My '06 is the same. If you turn the key off and let off the clutch, it will jerk the car. I assume that's the heavy flywheel, though my LT5 had a pretty heavy dual mass as well, and I never had to "pause" when turning the car off.

Yeah, I don't have that problem with LS3/tremec either.

CadzillaTN
10-28-11, 03:36 PM
Although the LS7 is a vast improvement , the recent 50/50 nature of reports makes me feel a little better about putting a stock setup back in my car... I might not have the benefits, but i'm in that group that can trade the stock downfalls for a smoother ride.

Now that I've been down that road, the job will not be as daunting if I have to do it again.

I will say that getting a bellhousing back over a stock clutch on reinstall might be the toughest thing I've ever had to do on the V so far...Picture laying on your back in a cannonball position with your feet holding the bell in the air to position it just right, and arms hanging on to the cats pulling down so you can shove that bastard in there. This, with loose PP and disc in the bell. There's really no way to get it back on otherwise...

Rakenjevnk
10-28-11, 04:09 PM
lol, man, I can't believe you installed a super terd back in there! That would be hard.

My uncle is a crank-shaft/flywheel balancer by trade and he has a top-alcohol that broke into the 5s, He says that lots of parts that are supposed to be ballanced from lots of companies just are not. It's kind of a crap-shoot unless you pay for the best. I know next time I get a flywheel I'm going to send it to him first just to make sure it's perfect. That way after everything is said and done and the car is back together I don't have the nagging feeling that a vibration could be caused by a new part I put in that might not be perfect.

I installed the LS7 and love it as a performance/driveability mod. I have a few minor vibrations now that I am chasing around and it would be nice to know that it was NOT the flywheel that took me a whole weekend to replace.

Rock on

SRTTOCTSV
10-28-11, 08:23 PM
you have the LS7 slave and a spacer? if so which spacer?

You need a 5mm spacer and the pedal will move closer to the top...

I did it with no issues

SRTTOCTSV
10-28-11, 08:26 PM
Today I did figure out that that my ruff clutch release was due to some air in my system. bleed it twice and shifts much better. I'm still wondering if there is some more in the system

Aurora40
10-29-11, 10:13 AM
You can probably bleed it fairly well by just pushing and releasing the clutch pedal a ton of times. Unlike brakes, a lot of fluid moves when doing the clutch, so the air should work its way out.

Koooop
10-30-11, 08:09 PM
I had the LS7 clutch put in my '05 plus a remote bleeder. I have no idea if the flywheel is aluminum, I just told the tech at the dealer "Do it". The pedal is closer to the floor, but that's it. It works pretty much perfectly, just the side effects from the upgrade. I can't imagine why Cadillac ever used the set up they did.

GDPossehl
10-31-11, 09:51 AM
In theory dual mass flywheels dampen vibrations in HiHp luxury cars. The dual mass systems are designed to transmit less engine vibration to the driveline, and give a better more car like driving experience. They also reduce some of the jarring and stress on the transmission and remainder of the drivetrain. They work fine as long as the engine remains unmodified and the vehicle is not used/abused beyond manufacturers recommendations. (They work well til you beat on it.)

CadzillaTN
10-31-11, 12:29 PM
You can probably bleed it fairly well by just pushing and releasing the clutch pedal a ton of times. Unlike brakes, a lot of fluid moves when doing the clutch, so the air should work its way out.

Yep. When I bled mine once, I noticed when my wife kept pumping and pumping-- despite my instruction to ease up, I noticed lots of bubbles coming up, so then I had her keep doing it...this, even after I'd been under the car for about 6 regular cycles and saw no bubbles..

The line is basically straight up and I can see how hard it would be to force bubbles downward through there.

Also, that "quick connect" section sure seems it could let air in, albeit ever so slightly over time..

Koooop
11-01-11, 02:37 AM
In theory dual mass flywheels dampen vibrations in HiHp luxury cars. The dual mass systems are designed to transmit less engine vibration to the driveline, and give a better more car like driving experience. They also reduce some of the jarring and stress on the transmission and remainder of the drivetrain. They work fine as long as the engine remains unmodified and the vehicle is not used/abused beyond manufacturers recommendations. (They work well til you beat on it.)

Maybe in Theory it's a good thing but in practice the stock set up sucks. When you put the stock shifter on top of it, it (insert derogatory comment here). LS7 clutch with an upgraded shifter is soooo much better.

Naf
11-20-11, 05:01 AM
i made the spacer for the slave. You just need a 1/4" max....

Koooop
11-20-11, 04:49 PM
The new location of the engagement of my clutch took me about 10 minutes to get used to, I don't even notice it now.