: Bought the '97 etc replacement

tateos
10-25-11, 06:09 PM
It's not a Cadillac, but I thought some of you guys that are familiar with me might be interested - especially since it is a new technology from GM.

It's a 2012 Buick Lucerne with what they call "e-assist" - basically a mild hybrid - gets 26 MPG City/35 MPG Highway. Lots of technology went into that 3,800 pound car to get that mileage.

Look here for a video - it's a little long, at 22 minutes, so you may want to skip around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0pxtaTcaKw&feature=related

The car arrives this week - the one I test drove didn't have some features I was looking for. I'll give you an update down the road after I've had it for awhile.

Richard Moore

vincentm
10-25-11, 07:14 PM
Cool, congrats man!

Ranger
10-25-11, 10:46 PM
Congrats and keep us posted.

tateos
11-01-11, 01:26 PM
Picked up the car yesterday - so far so good - very quiet and a smooth, surprisingly heavy ride - 34 MPG going to and from work, mostly highway - I used to get 22MPG in the 2000 DTS doing that - a little better in the '97 ETC - maybe around 23-24 MPG this time of year, when I use no AC. I get about the same mileage in my 2005 Lincoln LS with V-6 (23-24 MPG, depending on the season). My wife's 2004 Grand Prix with the supercharged engine gets closer to about 24-25 MPG. I tell you this, so you have a point of reference - the new car gets about 50% better gas mileage than the other cars I mentioned. I haven't hit the gas pedal too hard yet - I would describe the acceleration as adequate, but leisurely - this thing is no race car! I tend to drive much too fast...so maybe it's a good thing?

The car is new and comes from what I would call near luxury, but it's interesting that, although it has a lot of new and advanced features, I've noticed some things "missing" that I had on Cadillacs from over 10 years ago. For example, the car has memory settings for the seats and mirrors...but not for the climate control, steering wheel, and radio pre-sets (and I'm probably forgetting some other things the Cadillacs saved in memory). The steering wheel tilts and telescopes manually - not sure why - maybe to save weight and cost? But why not save settings for the other things? Not a big deal - just wondering why? Also, the key fobs are not numbered - as far as I can tell so far, the memory settings for the seats and mirrors do not depend on the RKE transmitter - you have to press a button on the seat before you get in to recall a setting. Kind of strange stuff - maybe they are going out of their way to differentiate between a Cadillac and a Buick.