: Nitrogen in tires

Raplon
10-31-04, 10:58 PM
I am sure some of you use nitrogen for inflation. Would you, please, share your impressions. Also, where do you get it from and how expensive is it? I was told the air has to be sucked out by a pump before nitrogen inflation. Do you have to reset tire pressure monitors after this? Is there inexpensive nitrogen condensator ( I know there is one for the oxygen) to generate nitrogen for home use?

Rolex
10-31-04, 11:28 PM
Nitrogen makes up approx 78% of the air we breathe at sea level. What is the great advantage of using 100% nitrogen to air up tires? Just curious? :hmm:

OCESCALADE
11-01-04, 12:32 AM
The advantage is that your tire pressure will only very by a couple of pounds from hot to cold. Makes a big difference in auto cross and racing. I think normally tire pressure can change up to 5 pounds either way depending on temperature.

fast66
11-01-04, 03:33 AM
Would it be flammable?

hcvone
11-01-04, 07:39 AM
Would it be flammable?

Not at all. :)

hcvone
11-01-04, 07:43 AM
The advantage is that your tire pressure will only very by a couple of pounds from hot to cold. Makes a big difference in auto cross and racing. I think normally tire pressure can change up to 5 pounds either way depending on temperature.

That is correct, my Z06's would change pressure from 30 lbs cold to 40 plus lbs fully heated up on a hot day, with nitrogen they would go from 30 lbs cold to 32 lbs fully heated up, the handling was much better because the tires stayed around the same lbs. :)

T_Dogg8
11-01-04, 09:18 AM
if you do a search there's at least on other thread that really explains the benefits of nitrogen filled tires.

MEJIA
11-01-04, 12:22 PM
Some time ago I posted the same question about nitrogen filled tires. After coinsidering the benefits I had mine filled up with nitrogen at 41 psi. Since then I can check the tires, hot or cold and the psi variation is at the most 2 lb. Another advantage of using nitrogen in tires is that they last longer. I filled up my 5 tires here in Monterrey for the equivalent of $11 dlls. Maybe I got ripped off comparing the price to that of the U.S. but remember I am in Mexico :D

Hope this helps,
Mejia

Raplon
11-01-04, 06:20 PM
Mejia, I don't think $11 is high. As far as I was able to find out it costs around $4 per tire in the Continental US. Why 41 psi? I have 20 inch wheels and was recommended to put 35. Did you have to reset tire pressure monitors after nitrogen?

T_Dogg8
11-02-04, 08:27 AM
the sensors are just checking pressure, right?? so why would they need reset??

MEJIA
11-02-04, 02:25 PM
Mejia, I don't think $11 is high. As far as I was able to find out it costs around $4 per tire in the Continental US. Why 41 psi? I have 20 inch wheels and was recommended to put 35. Did you have to reset tire pressure monitors after nitrogen?

The tire max pressure is 44 psi. With 30lb or 35lb I feel kind of a wobbly ride, especially when passing over rugged pavement the rear part of the truck seems to shake a lot, that issue was also discussed here, and the only fix suggested from fellow Escalade owners was to keep tire pressure at 40lb. 40lb of nitrogen seem to fix the problem. The export versions of the Escalade didnt had tire pressure monitors until the 04 models. :D

Mejia