: Looking at an 05, take a look for me?

elwesso
10-25-11, 05:12 PM
Hey guys, long time poster but not for a while. Great bit of info you guys have here. Some of the *real* old timers may recognize my screen name from way back in the day (2003).. :)

Anyway, I have an old Infiniti Q45, really special car but its getting close to 200k so having something else to take a brunt of the miles off would be good.

I'd be using this as a daily driver even in the winter (for the time being anyway), but the miles would still be split somewhat between my Infiniti and this car, with the bias going toward the cadillac.

I ran across this, actually on the Indianapolis Craigslist and noticed this guy also listed on eBay, has more pictures and the same description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-CTS-V-6-Speed-LS-6-400hp-/300612877329?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45fdec7c11#ht_1465wt_948

The guy said he would take 15,500 for the car which seems pretty reasonable.

Among some odds and ends, he said that the "big ticket items" include a new trans earlier this year (claimed to have a slow leak), new radio (buttons chipping), new front end components. Definitely has the revised differential according to the records. Seems to be all dealer serviced and what not. I don't have a copy of the dealer records but I'm sure I could go to any dealership and run the VIN. Seems like it was well taken care of, and it also appears that it was still under GM warranty until this March.

I am not scared to get under and look at the car, I think I can do a pretty good job inspecting it, but I wanted the "experts" to take a quick look at the listings and see if you see any red flags I may not know about.

Houdini
10-25-11, 07:24 PM
Well it sounds like it has had plenty of service and aside from the exterior paint issues, I don't see how you could go wrong for that price. If it really is still under warranty I would say go for it! Newer rear, new trans, new radio buttons, new front end bushings, DO IT!

LashCTS
10-25-11, 09:43 PM
Anyway, I have an old Infiniti Q45, really special car but its getting close to 200k so having something else to take a brunt of the miles off would be good.

Won't be able to sleep tonight, what make's your old Q45 a "really special" car?

rand49er
10-25-11, 10:01 PM
Nothing bad about that car.

At 76k miles, it still has plenty to go.

elwesso
10-25-11, 10:33 PM
Won't be able to sleep tonight, what make's your old Q45 a "really special" car?

It's a 94 Q45 and I was the first to swap in a 5 speed manual into the car. They never offered the car with a manual or even had a transmission that bolts to the engine. So I made my own adapter and with the help of a friend I have the first one. I have a bunch of other mods too. Put about 40k on the swap (2.5 years)

Anyway thanks for the replies. I am probably gonna look at this on thursday with intention of buying. I need to call my insurance company and make sure it's not outrageous to get some decent coverage.

rand49er
10-25-11, 11:05 PM
BTW, you're before my time. I don't remember you. Were you on the CTS-V forum back then?

DDS rollin a CTS
10-26-11, 10:11 AM
Looks like a good find to me. If you do get it and the weathers nice, you should bring it to Indy cars and coffee this weekend to show it off. There's a couple of us V guys that are there every week.

texasseville
10-26-11, 10:49 AM
As others have said...that seems like a good deal even with the paint / body blemishes. Alot of parts have been replaced which is a good thing. Good luck, hope you like it even better in person!

CadzillaTN
10-26-11, 10:56 AM
95-2000 q45 was a great looking car

GDPossehl
10-26-11, 01:01 PM
That rear bumper cover damage looks pretty nasty.
When I bought mine it had been resprayed (terribly) and has a nice receiver hitch imprint in it. I keep hoping someone tags me in traffic.

odla
10-26-11, 01:35 PM
i would find out how much to re paint the front bumper and how much to fix the rear panel.

Crash-Override
10-26-11, 04:05 PM
Price looks about right, for comparison I bought my 05 about 6 months ago for 21k. Here is a list as to why I bought mine:

1: 59k Miles
2: 1 owner (executive car)
3: Original Diff (yes I know they are weaker but my thought process was if the guy had put almost 60k on it and not blown it up, how hard could he have driven it?)
4: 2 year / 24k GMPP warranty (worth about $2100 bucks from what i could find)
5: Brand new tires
6: New brakes (rotors and pads)
7: All dealer serviced from same dealer it was purchased at
8: Stealth Gray (I know, its not a big price change but i was willing to spend a little more) in perfect shape all the way around.

So with the "spots" on this car and if everything else checks out then I would jump on it. I love mine and happy I went the way i did!

JimmyH
10-26-11, 04:19 PM
It's a 94 Q45 and I was the first to swap in a 5 speed manual into the car.

you selling it?

elwesso
10-27-11, 08:06 AM
Price looks about right, for comparison I bought my 05 about 6 months ago for 21k. Here is a list as to why I bought mine:

1: 59k Miles
2: 1 owner (executive car)
3: Original Diff (yes I know they are weaker but my thought process was if the guy had put almost 60k on it and not blown it up, how hard could he have driven it?)
4: 2 year / 24k GMPP warranty (worth about $2100 bucks from what i could find)
5: Brand new tires
6: New brakes (rotors and pads)
7: All dealer serviced from same dealer it was purchased at
8: Stealth Gray (I know, its not a big price change but i was willing to spend a little more) in perfect shape all the way around.

So with the "spots" on this car and if everything else checks out then I would jump on it. I love mine and happy I went the way i did!

Sounds like you definitely paid for what you got though.. One-owner cars are always nice.

I actually know a few people who do paint and body work, so I am thinking I could pretty easily get this fixed if it's really that bad. To me, it looks just like a scratch on the rear bumper, a little touch up paint would probably make it look 95% better.

I'm going to be checking it out later today, with the intention of buying it assuming something isn't seriously wrong. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

BTW my Q is not for sale. It's worth way more to me than it would be to anyone else.

elwesso
10-27-11, 06:58 PM
well I picked up the car.. Talked him down to 15k so that was a good thing. 2 things I noticed so far.

1. There's a bit of a driveline vibration, goes away when the car is rolling in neutral on the freeway. Engine also rattles quite a bit when shutting down, I'm guessing the engine mounts are bad.

2. The NAV system doesn't work. Keeps saying "disc error". Tried cleaning it off no luck. Doesn't look too scratched up or anything, so seems weird it could "go bad"? The unit has apparently been replaced under warranty due to the paint coming off the buttons, so hopefully the unit itself isn't bad. The rest of the functions work fine.

Anyone have a way to put in an AUX-IN or something like that? I have an external XM radio that I'd like to plug in. I don't really want to use the built-in XM receiver since I take my XM radio between multiple vehicles and inside.

elwesso
10-27-11, 07:27 PM
well I picked up the car.. Talked him down to 15k so that was a good thing. 2 things I noticed so far.

1. There's a bit of a driveline vibration, goes away when the car is rolling in neutral on the freeway. Engine also rattles quite a bit when shutting down, I'm guessing the engine mounts are bad.

2. The NAV system doesn't work. Keeps saying "disc error". Tried cleaning it off no luck. Doesn't look too scratched up or anything, so seems weird it could "go bad"? The unit has apparently been replaced under warranty due to the paint coming off the buttons, so hopefully the unit itself isn't bad. The rest of the functions work fine.

Anyone have a way to put in an AUX-IN or something like that? I have an external XM radio that I'd like to plug in. I don't really want to use the built-in XM receiver since I take my XM radio between multiple vehicles and inside.

Aurora40
10-27-11, 09:41 PM
It's a 94 Q45

95-2000 q45 was a great looking car

Damn dude!

Anyway, congrats on the purchase! Is the nav disc the right one for the car? It should be version 6.x.

For the aux: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud-noswitch/index.html

dangrus
10-27-11, 10:22 PM
I get the same disc error. I noticed that the inner ring of my disc is chewed up and my computer can't copy it, errored out at 3% so I am guessing these discs have a poor life span.

JimmyH
10-27-11, 10:37 PM
Try a dvd-video that you know works in the nav slot. If it plays, that will tell you if it's the nav or the disc.

And congrats on the purchase :thumbsup:

elwesso
10-28-11, 08:05 AM
Thanks Jimmy, looks like the disc is messed up because it played a DVD fine. The sound system is pretty sweet, I might start watching movies in my car versus on my 55" TV, LOL!

I'll post up a new thread later with some pics and stuff like that, its been raining the last few days so the car is pretty dirty.

JimmyH
10-28-11, 10:35 AM
I liked the sound system in my V too. You and I are in the minority though. The haters love to rip on the Bose system.

but yes, we will require pictures :D

GDPossehl
10-28-11, 12:08 PM
The bose system isn't bad... when the engine is off. After that it just lacks the authoritative punch.