: Rear Sail Panel and Rear "Oh !@#$" Handles...

mstrjon32
10-25-11, 03:37 PM
So my rear sail panel has been hanging down since I bought the car. I'm thinking about finally fixing it. I did some searching but didn't come up with any hard and fast solutions for this problem. Anyone have any advice? Am I going to need a new sail panel?

Also, on my last trip to the Nurburgring, the "Oh Shit" handle in the rear on the drivers side got ripped out of the roof by an excited passenger... I'd like this fixed as well. It looks like a long screw goes into some kind of mount, but it's not clear to me how this actually keeps together. I have a feeling I'm going to need to buy a new handle and pull down the whole headliner to get it in there. Any help appreciated...

WesH8398
10-25-11, 04:26 PM
My driver's rear "sail panel" doesn't stay put either. Subscribed.

JimmyH
10-25-11, 04:28 PM
I am inserting my customary response to express my disdain for the fact that GM saw fit to call these "sail panels". They are not. Sail panels are exterior panels. Not interior.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/177042-sail-panel-fix.html

odthetruth
10-25-11, 04:42 PM
Also, on my last trip to the Nurburgring, the "Oh Shit" handle in the rear on the drivers side got ripped out of the roof by an excited passenger... I'd like this fixed as well. It looks like a long screw goes into some kind of mount, but it's not clear to me how this actually keeps together. I have a feeling I'm going to need to buy a new handle and pull down the whole headliner to get it in there. Any help appreciated...

When this happened in my 03, I kept the screw, got a screw slightly thicker but same length, and just retapped it in. Worked perfect for over a year of daily driving. But then again, I didn't have people holding it again.

jclayc
10-25-11, 09:37 PM
I had mine come loose and crack part of the plastic that holds the panel to the body. Simple solution, though... just put a bigger washer on it. Now if I could just find the SRS Airbag plug that goes over the screw hole...

catch2otwo
10-25-11, 11:37 PM
the oh shit handle has three pieces, well 4. There is a piece above the headlinder, the handle, a black plastic piece, and the screw. So working from the headliner out, you would put the handle on touching the headlinder, then the black plastic piece. The black plastic piece is sort of clocked to fit into the headliner so it will only go on one way. This is because when the screw is tightened down, it will still allow the handle to slide in and out when you pull on it. Lastly the screw threads through everything into the headliner. Mine got ripped out this weekend, but I believe it was because the screws were rattling loose and someone tugging on it was enough to pull the screw out. You probably wont have to drop the headliner.

You can try just threading the screw into the hole. the plastic covers just push onto the black plastic pieces.

GDPossehl
10-26-11, 09:23 AM
To fix my sail panel I cut a 90* bend out of a milk carton and epoxied it where the plastic was broken right where the screw goes. I keep my rear window up at speed now.

odla
10-26-11, 01:53 PM
I found some plastic washers in my tool box that look like they will work just right. Ill put them on this weekend.