: Amp and Subwoofer replacement

Newvee2011
10-25-11, 02:45 PM
I'm looking to replace my amp and sub to get better bass.. I have the equipment just have no idea how to do it...Anyone have any ideas on a DIY for this ?

dangrus
10-25-11, 08:32 PM
That's almost a trick question.

Let's start with what make and model of equipment did you buy?

Newvee2011
10-26-11, 11:40 AM
Hey.. I have a Fosgate 1000 amp and a 12inch jl audio sub...

dangrus
10-27-11, 12:15 AM
There are different ways to accomplish this so don't be surprised if you get multiple answers. Let's start with the basics, your amp will need signal, power and ground. If your amp has high level inputs, then you can take the signal from the current sub or any other speaker in the trunk area. If it only has RCA inputs, then you will need to get a line level convertor. The convertor will then attach to the speaker wires, and the RCAs will then plug into the amp. I have not hooked an amp up in my V yet so I can't tell you for sure where to pull power and ground from but I know I have seen someones post on here showing where they pulled the ground from and I think it was under the passanger C pillar.

The power is ideally hooked to the battery and a 18' or so long power cable ran to the trunk, most people purchase a new battery cable end that accepts two large wires. One wire will be the current battery cable, and the second will be your power cable to the amp. Make sure the cable you buy has a fuse and it installed under the hood, this protects your car incase the cable shorts. In addition, you will have a remote, or amp turn on wire. You will need to find an accessory power point for this source. When power is applied to this wire, it will tell your amp to turn on. The amps in the back have this some how, you would need to track down a power wire that only has power when the ignition is on.

From there you have to run the wires to the speaker. Since you only have one speaker, you should bridge your amp to it. Most amps are 2 channel meaning they have + and - for Left and + and - for Right. Most amps allow you to connect one + and one - to a speaker and get the full output of the amp. You will need to look for a small diagram next to the speaker outputs or read the manual. All you have left to do now is to mount the amp and speaker. There was a posting in the last couple of weeks of someone mounting the sub. Unfortunately, I believe they showed a 10" mounting perfectly, so a 12 may take quite a bit more work. For the amp, I usally get a board that fits into the trunk along the side that can be mounted to the car somehow and then mounting the amp to it.

That is a pretty basic install. If your sub has multiple inputs (DVC) or your amp is 4 channel, then it gets way more complicated. It also matters if your sub is a free air sub or not. Free air subs are designed to use the trunk for a box. A normal sub is designed to be mounted in a box so it may not sound right if you put it in the spot where the stock sub is so it will need a box. If you have a box, the amp can be mounted to it instead of a seperate board.

Hopefully this helps.

GDPossehl
10-27-11, 10:53 AM
Here is how mine is set up.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/GDPossehl/CTS-V/IMG_1090.jpg

That's with an 8" sub. A 12" is probably too big to fit in the rear deck. It would be ideal in a separate box in the trunk with the original sub removed from the rear deck for some "breathing" into the cabin. You'll also want to put some sound deadening on the XM unit tray underneath the rear deck cover.

612WharfAvenue
10-27-11, 04:17 PM
for you guys who ran power to the trunk - which side did you go down? firewall transit point? wire guage etc?

Twitch
10-27-11, 04:58 PM
for you guys who ran power to the trunk - which side did you go down? firewall transit point? wire guage etc?
You can go down the passenger side. Zip tie it along the fuel lines. In the trunk, remove the pass side panel and you'll find a grommet to run the wire into the trunk.

That's with an 8" sub. A 12" is probably too big to fit in the rear deck. It would be ideal in a separate box in the trunk with the original sub removed from the rear deck for some "breathing" into the cabin. You'll also want to put some sound deadening on the XM unit tray underneath the rear deck cover.
I like this. Very neat. I have a nice box with the amp mounted. But it's too big. I can't get myself to do it to this car. But I would definitely be happy with a setup like this.
Did you have to take the rear deck out, or does everything get done from the trunk side?

Thanks
Tony

shadybx7
10-27-11, 06:02 PM
wire gauge depends on the amp you're using... there is a fat gromit on the drivers side..

Andringa
10-27-11, 06:03 PM
GDPossehl that is really nice looking. Nice and clean, and you can still use the trunk.

GDPossehl
10-27-11, 06:37 PM
You can go down the passenger side. Zip tie it along the fuel lines. In the trunk, remove the pass side panel and you'll find a grommet to run the wire into the trunk.

I like this. Very neat. I have a nice box with the amp mounted. But it's too big. I can't get myself to do it to this car. But I would definitely be happy with a setup like this.
Did you have to take the rear deck out, or does everything get done from the trunk side?

Thanks
Tony

I ran an 8 gauge wire from the battery to the driver's side grommet in the firewall. It was a Major PITA getting the wire through there. I got it eventually, but don't recall what I used successfully. The idea is to get something long and straight through there and attaching the end of the power wire to it and pulling it back through. From there I just ran it under the carpet back to the trunk--nice and safe inside.

Eventually I would like to enclose the bottom side of that speaker with some sort of fiberglass enclosure because the power handling characteristics of that sub have changed in a bad way. Still sounds good, I just can't crank it. I've had to swat my GF's hand when she went to crank it once to turn it down quickly. So the set up as it is isn't fool-proof.

I did have to remove the rear deck to install. There's really no way around that with all the things that can vibrate under there. That even goes for a separate box install.

GDPossehl that is really nice looking. Nice and clean, and you can still use the trunk.
Thanks, that was the idea. I did NOT want a sub box in this car.

CancerJCC
10-27-11, 06:57 PM
I ran an 8 gauge wire from the battery to the driver's side grommet in the firewall. It was a Major PITA getting the wire through there. I got it eventually, but don't recall what I used successfully. The idea is to get something long and straight through there and attaching the end of the power wire to it and pulling it back through. From there I just ran it under the carpet back to the trunk--nice and safe inside.

Like this?

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q365/CancerJCC/Internet%20Uploads/DELETE002.jpg

:)

Eventually I would like to enclose the bottom side of that speaker with some sort of fiberglass enclosure because the power handling characteristics of that sub have changed in a bad way. Still sounds good, I just can't crank it. I've had to swat my GF's hand when she went to crank it once to turn it down quickly. So the set up as it is isn't fool-proof.

Interesting. Is it a "free-air" sub? Just curious because I love the idea of mounting where you did but don't want a ton of rattling or issues.

josney
10-27-11, 11:01 PM

That's with an 8" sub. A 12" is probably too big to fit in the rear deck. It would be ideal in a separate box in the trunk with the original sub removed from the rear
deck for some "breathing" into the cabin. You'll also want to put some sound deadening on the XM unit tray underneath the rear deck cover.

that looks really good. i had always read NOT to mount amps upside down, but you should get plenty of air-flow

GDPossehl
10-28-11, 09:05 AM
Like this?

Interesting. Is it a "free-air" sub? Just curious because I love the idea of mounting where you did but don't want a ton of rattling or issues.

Yup, exactly like that and it is a free-air setup (IB). It's not the ideal sub for a free air application, but it's what I had laying around. It'll bottom out if you crank it. It needs back pressure.

I'm not too worried about the amp cooling. It's gains are set modestly and it's wired to 2ohms so it won't be stressed at all.

PISNUOFF
10-28-11, 01:22 PM
Double Post.

PISNUOFF
10-28-11, 01:25 PM
Depending on how creative you want to get, you could Fiberglas an enclosure into the spare tire well. That's where mine is going. Here is yhe progress I have so far. I'm only installing one Audiobahn AW1000J 10" sub and a mono amp. This is too much airspace for a single 10 so I'm going to partition off the correct amount. After it's complete, I should be able to put the spare tire cover over it if I need to carry something in the trunk.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/bruckde/db027801.jpg

Natedog
10-28-11, 05:36 PM
If i put a 10" in a sealed 1 cubic foot box in the trunk, should i a.) only disconnect the stock sub b.) remove the stock sub c.) leave the stock sub hooked up.... i plan to have the bass level from the headunit be relatively low after the install so even if the stock sub is on, it shouldn't be putting out too much sound... i'm just worried about the aftermarket 10" in the trunk causing the stock driver to distort.. thoughts?

JFensty
10-28-11, 10:31 PM
I left the stock sub installed and working. The box doesn't take up that much room. I can still easily pull the spare tire cover. The amp is mounted on the passenger side wall of the trunk. The 2gauge wire is pulled thru the dash just under the battery tray. Travels inside under the carpet along the rocker to the trunk. My 12" sub really bumps when I put the drivers back seat down. Only rattles are the license plate/back up light assembly. Putting in some dynamat this weekend

thebigjimsho
10-28-11, 11:11 PM
that looks really good. i had always read NOT to mount amps upside down, but you should get plenty of air-flowIt depends on the amp. Most of the new, small class D amps run cool and can be mounted any which way. It's amazing how small and powerful amps can be these days.

thebigjimsho
10-28-11, 11:12 PM
I got a sub with custom mount from former forum member ssmith100. It's an Image Dynamics ID10 D4 V3. Never got it installed in my '04, but I'm going to run it in my '09 in the infinite baffle setup...

GDPossehl
10-31-11, 09:55 AM
If i put a 10" in a sealed 1 cubic foot box in the trunk, should i a.) only disconnect the stock sub b.) remove the stock sub c.) leave the stock sub hooked up.... i plan to have the bass level from the headunit be relatively low after the install so even if the stock sub is on, it shouldn't be putting out too much sound... i'm just worried about the aftermarket 10" in the trunk causing the stock driver to distort.. thoughts?

option B. ftw