: Power Steering issue on a 2005 CTS-V

Koooop
10-25-11, 01:24 AM
My V has an intermitent power steering issue. The steering just goes away sometimes, it gets real tough to like the pump has failed. The dealer has replaced the pump, the hoses, the rack but the problem persists.

Anyone have anything like this?

odla
10-25-11, 05:47 AM
Sounds like there is air in the system. Have they inspected the rack itself?

darkman
10-25-11, 10:24 AM
Air in the system, as already mentioned above could well be the problem. Looking at the Service Manual does reveal two components which may not have been replaced, those being the Power Steering Pressure Control Valve and the Power Steering Pressure Solenoid Switch. The names of these components suggest they could have intermittent problems. Finally, there is the variable effort steering system, which is intermittent by definition - see attached.

Koooop
10-26-11, 12:35 AM
New rack, new pump, new hoses and they completely flushed the system. I think this is a self purging system so If I turn it lock to lock a few times that should clear any air in the lines (that didn't work). They put in a pump a while back, sometime later the problem recurred. Then they put in a rack, but I think it was to late for the new pump as it was starting to groan so they put in another new last week. I drove the car 300 miles today and it seems to be cleared up. It could be a sensor issue with the steering position or speed sensors but the dealer is standing behind it under my recently expired GMPP.

I'll have a read of darkmans post so I can have bit more info incase it's not all cleared up. I need to take it on a slow, tight, twisty, hilly road to be sure.

Koooop
12-30-11, 03:14 PM
The Complete flush did clear the problem up completely. Good as new.