: 2011 V Coupe Chain Tensioner Idler?

67 mobill 442
10-24-11, 04:39 PM
Hey Guy's & Gal's, I have a question. Hope someone can help. I have a new 2011 CTS V Coupe. V has less than a 1000 miles. I am not familiar with the LSA engine. I have noticed a noise/rattle in the engine area. I have taken it back to the dealer. I was told it was a chain tension idler. And this was normal. My question is this normal? I hope to get it back to the dealer this week and get a engine oil & filter change and get all my fluids checked and serviced. Especially after reading the info on this sight. Thanks. I would like to have some input before I return to the dealer. Also is there anyone who might know where I might find a blowup of a LSA engine? Thanks again.

wait4me
10-24-11, 04:45 PM
If the cam tensioner failed, it wont make a noise from what i have ever heard. Usually it is still pretty quiet. The Torsional coupler in the supercharger is what is probably making the noise you are hearing. We usually just replace them with solid ones. They are easy to put on. But the blower has to be removed to install it. I have some videos on youtube showing how to replace the snout stuff..

Gary Wells
10-24-11, 05:57 PM
FWIW, IMHO, & HTH:
The supercharger is a non-serviceable item by GM, and the supercharger torsional coupler inside the supercharger generally wears on a non-critical shaft. GM can on replace the supercharger if the shaft has broken and / or the noise is at a certain dba level. Several people have had their SC replaced, but only a few, as compared to the # of CTS-V's that have the noise. As previously stated, you can replace the coupler with a solid coupler but that could have warranty implications if the SC is ever sent back to the manufacturer. I had mine replaced at about 3K miles on the car as I could not stand the noise.

67 mobill 442
10-26-11, 05:53 PM
Hey Guy's, Thanks for the replys. Makes me wonder now if sc coupler is not my noise problem. Is there a difinitive way of checking to confirm the noise is sc or chain tensioer related? Doesn't make me feel good having this issue with less than a 1000 miles. That is why I wanted the problem documented in the first place. Thanks

Gary Wells
10-26-11, 07:24 PM
I would bet on the S/C coupler.