: New Guy Here...Weird Question...but please help.

v-caliber
10-23-11, 09:02 PM
Hey guys,

I am new to Cadillac. Just got my first one and its a CTS-V. Got it with 3000 miles on it. Love it so far.

I searched hi and low to find the answer to my question but i couldn't so please chime in. This is an easy one for all owners who have had the car for a while, but i have nothing to compare to.

OK....you all know the Letters near the shifter... P R N D M etc. Are these supposed to light up like all other console lights and dash lights. Mine do not light up and at night its hard to see if i am putting the car in reverse or neutral or what. I've had the car 2 days and i don't know if its broken or if that's how it is. The electronic parking light ((P)) works just fine. Please clarify for me.

Also, if they are supposed to light up, then that means mine are broken, so how do i fix? is it a fuse blown? I looked at all my fuses and they were all ok, at least the ones i looked at. Which fuse would it be?

If they are not supposed to light up, then nothing to worry about.

Thanx everyone

Gary Wells
10-23-11, 09:15 PM
No, they do not light up. nada worries.

Gary Wells
10-23-11, 09:16 PM
If you did not obtain a owner's manual with that car, you need to chase one down. Lots of info in there on them.

v-caliber
10-23-11, 09:22 PM
thanx

i looked in owners manual for an hour. did not see anything on them, but that manual is so big, could have missed the info. Strange that they would not light up....wonder why they did that. They used to light up on older models.

thebigjimsho
10-23-11, 09:27 PM
They light up on the dash.

smackdownCTSV
10-23-11, 09:30 PM
Take a pic of what you're talking about for clarification. I suspect a trip to the dealer is in order.

neuronbob
10-23-11, 09:57 PM
The console indicator does not light up. That's because as noted above, the indicator is in the instrument panel. You have no problem at all.

Enjoy your V!

v-caliber
10-23-11, 10:04 PM
Take a pic of what you're talking about for clarification. I suspect a trip to the dealer is in order.

no need for pic. everyone knows where the P R N D letters are next to the shift knob in the center console. Why a trip to the dealer? if the actual letters are not supposed to light up then they are not broken. I'll just look at the dash to know if i am in reverse or neutral or etc. Thanx guys

Gary Wells
10-23-11, 10:06 PM
The gear selector indicator on the console directly next to the gear selector does not light up.
The gear selector indicator on the face of the tach at the left hand side of the dash does light up, and show (highlight) what gear you are in.
They were probably going to light them up, but changed their mind mid-stream and were able to light them up on the dash easier and less expensive.
I don't believe that the owner's manual specifically says that they are not lit up on the gear selector console plate.

v-caliber
10-24-11, 01:15 AM
you guys have been great. I feel relieved that my 2 day old car is not broken, from the start. Thank you

Prof
10-24-11, 07:54 AM
You have only begun to appreciate a wonderful vehicle...enjoy, and drive it like you stole it!

Kadonny
10-24-11, 10:46 AM
you guys have been great. I feel relieved that my 2 day old car is not broken, from the start. Thank you

No worries, most of us went through the same thing you are going through. Remember to come here first if you get the wheel click or the rear end noise and we can lead you to the easy fixes with little worries. Enjoy the car.

thebigjimsho
10-24-11, 11:55 AM
Sometimes it's also hard to search. Try searching using google and don't be afraid to ask questions...