: Wheel Clicking - Oh Snap

Gary Wells
10-22-11, 10:28 PM
Well, evidently I have used up all the allotment of counter-clockwise u-turn passes for my car. While making a counter-clockwise U turn a day or 2 ago I heard what I thought was the dreaded wheel clicking. It was very faint and subtle, but it was there. Mileage was 7312. This morning again. Same place, time, made the same U turn it did the same thing. Doesn't seem to do it at any other time or on a 90˚ turn yet either, but probably will start at some time.

whytediamond
10-23-11, 12:18 AM
Im getting pretty tired of the wheel clicking and the fact that GM says they dont have a fix yet,
BULL#$%@. It's been an issue for three years and "the brilliant" engineers cant find a fix for this. Seems like we are left to deal with it on our own....good customer service for this calibre of vehicle.

jzchen
10-23-11, 01:23 AM
If you have a torque wrench try letting the car sit overnight, letting the wheel cool down, and loosening and retightening, (if I remember correctly to 140 ft-lbs,) each bolt one by one. It went away for me after that. I can't help but wonder if it's because of the unique shape of the the thread, as someone once pointed out when I was researching wheel locks.

e6t
10-23-11, 09:32 AM
but THERE IS a fix and its according to GM. the FIX is two-piece brembos... im assuming they dont want to give them out unless absolutely demanded because they are not cheap.

Gary Wells
10-23-11, 01:50 PM
but THERE IS a fix and its according to GM. the FIX is two-piece brembos... im assuming they dont want to give them out unless absolutely demanded because they are not cheap.
Are we trolling? I would almost swear that the last person trolling on this particular fix was banned.

JFJr
10-23-11, 02:06 PM
Well, it may be wheel clicking, but there is an issue with rear knuckle bushings and rear tie rods. Don't rule them out.

Gary Wells
10-23-11, 02:13 PM
Thanks, JFJr, but this seems to be coming from the right front tire area. I was not aware of the rear knuckle bushing issue nor the tie rod issue, unless one of them is the issue already on recall about the possibility of a nut coming loose.

JFJr
10-23-11, 02:54 PM
Don't mean to sidetrack your thread, but bad tie rods, with loose nuts, and rear knuckle bushings are not uncommon. When I had the tie rod TSB done, they also replaced a bushing. I believe that 2 members of the forum have spun out because of the tie rod issue, so it is a dangerous problem. Stay safe!

Jud

tedcmiller
10-23-11, 03:34 PM
I had the recall done (something about loose nuts on the rear end stuff), and I can't recall hearing the clicking since then. I did have the clicking before I had the recall done (I just ignored it), but since then, nothing.

Gary Wells
10-23-11, 04:11 PM
I had the recall done (something about loose nuts on the rear end stuff), and I can't recall hearing the clicking since then. I did have the clicking before I had the recall done (I just ignored it), but since then, nothing.
If I were to guess on your case, Ted, I would guess that they did the TSB for wheel clicking at the same time that they did the recall for the loose rear nut, as the 2 issues are not the same. How long did they have your car?

e6t
10-23-11, 10:33 PM
Are we trolling? I would almost swear that the last person trolling on this particular fix was banned.

how is that trolling? i HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS WITH GM AND AM TRYING TO HELP.

Gary Wells
10-23-11, 11:12 PM
how is that trolling? i HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS WITH GM AND AM TRYING TO HELP.

Because someone posted this same thing and same resolution about a month or 2 back and the thread was locked after several people, maybe 1 administrator and maybe a GM dealer Rep said that this was not a GM released document, was not a TBS, and parts were not being paid for by GM. I believe that the OP might have been banned, don't remember. That would be why.

baabootoo
10-24-11, 12:08 AM
I wish mine clicked so I could find a solution........

jzchen
10-24-11, 08:08 AM
I wish mine clicked so I could find a solution........

Be glad. It's more than just a sound. Kind of unnerving...

Gary Wells
10-24-11, 08:24 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/171308-clicking-noise-front-wheels-back-third-9.html#post2729749

Originally posted by Cluch on 09-09-2011:
"It sure does have to do with the brakes, rotors anyway, because the brembo 2 piece rotors FIX the problem. The problem with this fix, however, is that the 2 piece rotors are not part of the TSB. Thus they are a very Expensive solution. Some guy in another thread mentioned his dealer is replacing all clicking roors with these for free as a waranty item. His credibility got questioned big time and he never posted a TSB number to defend himself. Perhaps this is the major fix you got wind of? Perhaps its a possibility that we'll all be getting performance rotors on the house to fix this probem once and for all. My fingers are crossed!"

Kadonny
10-24-11, 09:37 AM
I found that the TSB with the cleaning and re-torquing fixes the click with no problems.

getbit
10-29-11, 02:12 PM
I found that the TSB with the cleaning and re-torquing fixes the click with no problems.

I've had it performed twice and the problem returned.
Ridiculous.

Gary Wells
10-29-11, 09:21 PM
Most of the fixes, including those recommended by GM and those experimented with by owners, generally return in time. There are some people that have claimed permanent fixes though, but generally not.

hifiaudio2
11-01-11, 10:25 AM
gm performed the tsb on mine and they clicked as i left the dealer... had no time to give it right back to them. Will make another annoying trip over when I can.

Gary Wells
11-01-11, 05:04 PM
gm performed the tsb on mine and they clicked as i left the dealer... had no time to give it right back to them. Will make another annoying trip over when I can.
Is it possible that they just did not have time to do it and just signed it off that they performed it but really did not do it?

JFJr
11-01-11, 08:47 PM
Ok, it worked for me, 50,000 miles and counting. Tell me what's wrong.

Jud

Gary Wells
11-01-11, 11:49 PM
Ok, it worked for me, 50,000 miles and counting. Tell me what's wrong.

Jud

Maybe nothing, maybe everything. What's important is how many miles do you have on the repair. If you just had the repair done recently it might come back, but if you had it done quite a while back and have lots of miles on the repair it may never come back. I am sure that the repair works permanently on at least a small % of cars, just as I am sure that not all cars develop the clicking issue.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-02-11, 11:23 AM
If you are worried that the dealership did not have time for it, and just signed it off… you could visit another dealership, let them know what is going on and have them just check it to make sure that the first dealership did the work. Let us know what you find out.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

getbit
11-02-11, 12:48 PM
Breanne,

It would be easier if Cadillac would just resolve the problem instead of band-aid repairs, don't you think?
This problem has been around for years and remains a constant irritation to many owners.

Trapspeed
11-03-11, 03:50 PM
Breanne,

It would be easier if Cadillac would just resolve the problem instead of band-aid repairs, don't you think?
This problem has been around for years and remains a constant irritation to many owners.

Seconded. This is one small, unacceptable annoyance on an otherwise perfect car. Please fix this!!

hifiaudio2
11-03-11, 05:30 PM
I will try another dealer tomorrow if it isnt raining and I get time to take it over... will be interesting to see how / if the experience differs.

I was reversing out of a parking space today and turning the wheels to the left at full lock and it sounded and felt like the tires were rubbing horribly inside the wheel wells... surely that was something else but its a new issue...
wasnt there before taking to the dealer

Gary Wells
11-03-11, 06:06 PM
I will try another dealer tomorrow if it isnt raining and I get time to take it over... will be interesting to see how / if the experience differs.

I was reversing out of a parking space today and turning the wheels to the left at full lock and it sounded and felt like the tires were rubbing horribly inside the wheel wells... surely that was something else but its a new issue...
wasnt there before taking to the dealer

That sounds more like crabbing to me.

hifiaudio2
11-04-11, 12:23 PM
What does crabbing mean? I am not familiar with that term.

Gary Wells
11-04-11, 01:34 PM
What does crabbing mean? I am not familiar with that term.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/243071-tsb-front-wheels-crabbing-under-full.html

hifiaudio2
11-04-11, 02:38 PM
Hmm ok - I guess that sounds sort of like what I experienced. Mine was at 65-70 degrees or so and drizzling rain, again while reversing from a parking spot and turning the wheels. I will attempt to duplicate for the dealer and get it checked.

Gary Wells
11-04-11, 03:05 PM
I used to get the same thing occasionally when pulling out of my driveway, but haven't had it in a while. Which does make me wonder if it is a tire issue,and as the tires wear, the characteristic goes away naturally.

dgman2
12-15-11, 04:25 PM
2011 V sedan with 5500 miles on it. Just started noticing the clicking on mine during slow forward or reverse
sharp turns in driveway or parking lots.

Gary Wells
12-15-11, 05:56 PM
Find a good local dealer, talk to the service manager & arrange an appointment, & wait for the car rather than leave it.

dgman2
12-15-11, 06:37 PM
I have a good dealership available. Still haven't read a definitive solution in here yet. Just wondering if cadillac has come up with a fix yet.

Gary Wells
12-15-11, 07:01 PM
I have a good dealership available. Still haven't read a definitive solution in here yet. Just wondering if cadillac has come up with a fix yet.

If you mean a permanent fix / cure that will last forever - No, probably bot, or we would have heard about it by now. However, the dealership that I went to did the temporary fix which beats the heck out of listening to the clicking every time you make a hard turn. With some cars, the temporary fix of remove, clean both mating surfaces, & re-torque to 158 or whatever it is has lasted to this date. Even the wheel replacement didn't resolve all the cars that they did it on. May never be a really permanent cure.

dgman2
12-15-11, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Ill have that done next week when my D3 wheel spacers come in.

Gary Wells
12-15-11, 07:42 PM
If you're in SoCal I can recommend a very good dealer that took care of mine.

dgman2
12-15-11, 10:19 PM
I'm in Hammond, Louisiana so that would be a long way.... My local dealer will do anything that they can to fix
whatever they can; that won't be an issue. It's only a problem if there is no known fix for it, or if there would be an expensive fix that the manufacturer won't back up. I'll find out next week. Thanks again.

dgman2
03-01-12, 02:10 PM
hello there guys,
I have about 7800 miles on my 2011 V sedan. The clicking had gotten VERY bad and the Cadillac fix was done by my dealership last week.... including the 158# torque increase. The clicking disappeared, but my wife and I both noticed a few clicks last night while making a slow sharp turn in a parking lot. Hopefully, that is not the beginning of a return to the world of CLICKING....
In the mean time, a creaking noise has started which has now become almost continuous. At first I thought it was coming from the rear seats (leather surfaces rubbing against each other), but we were not able to locate the spot. after some more looking and listening, we found that it is coming from the sunroof. With the roof open, the creaking almost disappears, but with the roof closed it is continuous. If the road is totally smooth, it is quiet, but with the least amount of body twist from uneven surfaces the creaking is THERE.... very annoying....
So we now have another player in the V concert.... between the supercharger Clocking, the wheels clicking and the roof creaking, it is starting to look like the car is telling me something....
By the way, the Bluetooth fix that supposedly was downloaded to the car still hasn't fixed the malfunctioning hands free phone experience either.

tedcmiller
03-03-12, 07:23 PM
This is for Gary Wells who posted just after I put my response in the forum. I didn't expect anything to result from my post so I didn't see it. However, I can say that no TSB was done other than the required nut replacement on the rear. I still have not heard any clicking since the nuts were replaced, and that has been over a year.

dgman2
04-19-12, 09:44 AM
Update on my CTS-V:
The sunroof creaking was fixed at the dealership. I've had a Cadillac representative staying in touch and following up with me
and the dealership. The front wheel clicking is currently being addressed. The replacement of the rear parts was done and had
ZERO effect on the front wheel clicking. The rear wheel issue fixes a rear axle clocking sound that some cars have and can be
heard during on/off load on the drive train (driveline lash?). So, for now, the fix for our front wheel clicking is still the same
service bulletin that dictates wheel removal, mating surfaces cleaning, and torque of 158 foot pounds to the lug nuts. Cadillac
claims to have a permanent fix coming up for the third quarter of this year. I was told that the supercharger clocking is the next fix that will be addressed. I will document any progress made in here for those of you who are interested.

cdog533
04-19-12, 11:49 AM
hello there guys,
I have about 7800 miles on my 2011 V sedan. The clicking had gotten VERY bad and the Cadillac fix was done by my dealership last week.... including the 158# torque increase. The clicking disappeared, but my wife and I both noticed a few clicks last night while making a slow sharp turn in a parking lot. Hopefully, that is not the beginning of a return to the world of CLICKING....
In the mean time, a creaking noise has started which has now become almost continuous. At first I thought it was coming from the rear seats (leather surfaces rubbing against each other), but we were not able to locate the spot. after some more looking and listening, we found that it is coming from the sunroof. With the roof open, the creaking almost disappears, but with the roof closed it is continuous. If the road is totally smooth, it is quiet, but with the least amount of body twist from uneven surfaces the creaking is THERE.... very annoying....
So we now have another player in the V concert.... between the supercharger Clocking, the wheels clicking and the roof creaking, it is starting to look like the car is telling me something....
By the way, the Bluetooth fix that supposedly was downloaded to the car still hasn't fixed the malfunctioning hands free phone experience either.

Remove the sunroof trim ring, see if that's it.

Take silicone gel and put it all along where the sunroof meets the roof (on the outside). That should stop queaking/creaking.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-19-12, 12:30 PM
Update on my CTS-V:
The sunroof creaking was fixed at the dealership. I've had a Cadillac representative staying in touch and following up with me
and the dealership. The front wheel clicking is currently being addressed. The replacement of the rear parts was done and had
ZERO effect on the front wheel clicking. The rear wheel issue fixes a rear axle clocking sound that some cars have and can be
heard during on/off load on the drive train (driveline lash?). So, for now, the fix for our front wheel clicking is still the same
service bulletin that dictates wheel removal, mating surfaces cleaning, and torque of 158 foot pounds to the lug nuts. Cadillac
claims to have a permanent fix coming up for the third quarter of this year. I was told that the supercharger clocking is the next fix that will be addressed. I will document any progress made in here for those of you who are interested.
Thank you so much for this update, dgman2. I appreciate how you've been keeping this community in the loop, and if you ever have any questions regarding the status of your case, please feel free to email me your name and case # anytime and I can investigate.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

dgman2
04-19-12, 03:00 PM
Thanks for your input cdog533, but the sunroof is fixed. It was done at the dealership and included several Lube points and a piece of isolation strategically placed between the headliner and roof around the dome light area.
Thank you for your offer Katie, but I am now waiting for a response from Cadillac referring to the Front wheels and the
supercharger issues.

dgman2
08-09-12, 01:09 AM
Just got home from the dealership. Got my new rotors and love the look... Had all wheels
removed while they were at it and had them cleaned inside and out, including Calipers. That is even cleaner than I do when I wash them on the car :-)... seems like a good thing to do when
possible.
Anyway, parts number are like you posted including the "ROTORS MAKING NOISE AGAINST
RIMS" with the H9766 Number.
The TSB # is not showing on my invoice, but I was quoted PIC5136J also.
Didn't make an effort to listen carefully for clicking, but sure haven't heard it yet. I'll pay
attention for a while and will report back if the issue is resolved or not.

Copied the above from another post of mine.

I've been driving the car with the new rotors for a few days now and have checked for clicking. So far, so good... all is quiet with the wheels.

kaoz
03-14-13, 03:25 PM
Had all service bulletins done clicking is back. Seems worse.. Any updates on these? Can the replace the wheels someone mentioned they have a new surface?

dgman2
03-14-13, 04:28 PM
Hello there,
About 20,000 miles on my car now..... The clicking has not come back.
Looks like the rotor replacement took care of the issue. I' ve heard that they (cadilac) doesn't do the
Replacement anymore, though. You might want to check on that.

HUGN*RDS
03-14-13, 05:44 PM
Hello there,
About 20,000 miles on my car now..... The clicking has not come back.
Looks like the rotor replacement took care of the issue. I' ve heard that they (cadilac) doesn't do the
So you got the new rotors from GM installed 20k miles ago? or when did you have them installed and how many miles on them now? It looks like many people have your same experience, but then after a little longer the clicking comes back. There's no telling if your clicking is gone for good, especially when plenty of others have the same parts on their car as you and they hear the clicking still.

RapidRob
03-14-13, 06:01 PM
I got in on the new front wheels TSB and it seems to have worked so far, (no more clicking). But, I'm beginning to wonder if cleaning the rotor/wheel interface, and maybe applying a bit of lube, and then re-torquing to the new specs probably does as much to cure the problem as anything else. Then, if the clicking returns, clean the interace again, lube it, and re-torque ..

Rob

dgman2
03-14-13, 06:29 PM
I'm on my iPhone now so not as convenient to check back, but I think I reported
My mileage in here when I had it done. Did all the TSBs prior to changing
the rotors and the clicking came back each time. I have 20,000 miles on the car now
And no more clicking so far. So, for me the rotors cured the problem.

Trapspeed
03-15-13, 10:06 AM
I' ve heard that they (cadilac) doesn't do the

That's correct. No more rotors.

dgman2
03-15-13, 10:18 AM
So you got the new rotors from GM installed 20k miles ago? or when did you have them installed and how many miles on them now? It looks like many people have your same experience, but then after a little longer the clicking comes back. There's no telling if your clicking is gone for good, especially when plenty of others have the same parts on their car as you and they hear the clicking still.

Hello there,
Had some time to check back and answer your question.... The rotors were installed between 10 and 11,000 miles.... So, about 9000 miles on them now.

HUGN*RDS
03-15-13, 04:29 PM
Hello there,
Had some time to check back and answer your question.... The rotors were installed between 10 and 11,000 miles.... So, about 9000 miles on them now.

wow that is really great then! I wish they were still promoting the rotor swap TSB but unfortunately I missed that like a lot of others. However, someone mentioned another fix coming with I think is not true unfortunately. I'm just glad mine dont click but it opens my eyes to how GM is handling this.

USAFRET
03-15-13, 04:56 PM
getting ready to pull the trigger on a pre-owned 2011 V coupe that has 42xx miles on it. Should I be concerned?

Trapspeed
03-16-13, 10:19 AM
getting ready to pull the trigger on a pre-owned 2011 V coupe that has 42xx miles on it. Should I be concerned?

Yes...but I would not let the possibility of a "small" annoyance be a deal breaker. Trust me, the clicking is annoying as hell but the other things this car does (like scaring friends and beating up on ramps like a little bitch) far outweigh the clicks. Trust me.

theamcguy
03-17-13, 10:51 AM
Had all service bulletins done clicking is back. Seems worse.. Any updates on these? Can the replace the wheels someone mentioned they have a new surface?

The last TSB PIC5136N was published in Oct 2012 and specified the new lugnuts for all 4 wheels and a revised torque spec (upped to 110 ft lbs) This has been the best fix yet as almost all that have had the TSB done report that the clicking has not returned. There are a few though that have reported the click after getting the N series TSB completed. Remember the new TSB covers all 4 wheels. There have been some other fixes done by owners involving RTV, and Anti-Sieze but not approved by Cadillac so they would have to be done by the owner. The click is caused by aluminum to aluminum interference.

Gary Wells
03-17-13, 06:57 PM
Hey, I remember this thread.
Mine started at about 7K miles, I took into Blvd Cadillac, which might have been Coast Cadillac at the time of repair, they removed the front wheel or front wheels, cleaned the mating surfaces, stuck them back together at 158 ft-lbs, and they have been quiet ever since. I am about 28K miles now.

dgman2
03-17-13, 07:09 PM
Yes, exept I think that was maybe a little less torque. I'd have to look it up
Mine was done also, but the clicking came back. So far the rotors took care of my
Issue... And that is with some hard cornering too.

----------

Yes, exept I think that was maybe a little less torque. I'd have to look it up
Mine was done also, but the clicking came back. So far the rotors took care of my
Issue... And that is with some hard cornering too.

RGaret
03-22-13, 02:36 PM
I got my new lug nuts today (all 4 wheels and the wheel locks). So far so good. Clicking is gone. Fingers crossed.