: 2005 CTS V rear end pop noise

sdlundbe
10-21-11, 07:14 PM
Hi,

I have a 2005 CTS V with about 70K on it. Recently I have noticed a popping noise while backing up at low speed, think backing out of a driveway or a parking spot. I engage the clutch in reverse and as the drive line loads up a pop noise comes from the rear end. I can push the clutch all the way in and then re engage reverse and it happens again. The same noise can also be heard moving forward when I get a reversing load in the drive train without pushing the clutch all the way in. I have had it happen in 3rd gear when I let off the gas and let the car coast. As the drag in the drive line is created when the car slows down I get a popping noise again. It will go pop, pop, pop as the reversing load increases, goes away, and increases again as it is coasting. This noise is not present on acceleration, only when the car is reversed or the drive line is causing the car to decelerate.

Has anyone else heard this noise? What was the problem and fix?

Thanks!

rand49er
10-21-11, 10:05 PM
Are you able to isolate where it's coming from?

Trans itself?

Rearend/axle area?

GDPossehl
10-24-11, 04:40 PM
Get the car off the ground and see how much play the driveshaft has. You may be able to visibly see where the noise is coming from.

NCOGNITO
08-29-12, 12:37 PM
Hi,

I have a 2005 CTS V with about 70K on it. Recently I have noticed a popping noise while backing up at low speed, think backing out of a driveway or a parking spot. I engage the clutch in reverse and as the drive line loads up a pop noise comes from the rear end. I can push the clutch all the way in and then re engage reverse and it happens again. The same noise can also be heard moving forward when I get a reversing load in the drive train without pushing the clutch all the way in. I have had it happen in 3rd gear when I let off the gas and let the car coast. As the drag in the drive line is created when the car slows down I get a popping noise again. It will go pop, pop, pop as the reversing load increases, goes away, and increases again as it is coasting. This noise is not present on acceleration, only when the car is reversed or the drive line is causing the car to decelerate.

Has anyone else heard this noise? What was the problem and fix?

Thanks!

Did you ever resolve this? I have an 07 rear-end with a new driveshaft and the staggered GForce axle setup, which is all new to me. Mine appears to be doing this same thing, it only pops once when backing up and then occasionally again when the car is going from reverse to forward, as if the drivetrain is "settling"?

Sound is similar to driving over a small pebble stuck in the tire. Diff has a hint of whine to it at 45 MPH under very light acceleration that goes away with any amount of throttle and a decent amount of vibration at speeds above 80 MPH, but I've yet to go have the tires rebalanced to see if this is contributing to the vibration, before I go tossing money at a problem that may not exist.

JFensty
08-29-12, 07:59 PM
Anyone check and see of it is the parking brake shoe rubbing and moving around. Possibly even getting stuck??? Just a thought.

rand49er
08-29-12, 10:07 PM
OP posted once and poof! ... disappeared.

Sheesh!

NCOGNITO
08-29-12, 11:47 PM
Anyone check and see of it is the parking brake shoe rubbing and moving around. Possibly even getting stuck??? Just a thought.

I'll get the rear end up in the air and see if anything is dragging to test that theory. Someone recently posted a thread about the parking brake adjustment so I can see how to loosen it if it is dragging. Now that you mention it, the stock rotors do have some shimmy to them, so I suspect that something may have been dragging or still is to cause the hot spots. They're not horrible, but I will take a peek to see how the pads are and determine if I can turn the stock rotors or just buy all new with pads. Have had the car less than two weeks, so I'll be getting to the fluid changes and routine maintenance over the next few weeks.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-30-12, 09:53 AM
I look forward to reading about your testing results, NCOGNITO! Please feel free to contact me in the meantime via private message or email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) for further assistance or to schedule an appointment at your dealership.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

JFensty
08-30-12, 11:02 AM
I'll get the rear end up in the air and see if anything is dragging to test that theory. Someone recently posted a thread about the parking brake adjustment so I can see how to loosen it if it is dragging. Now that you mention it, the stock rotors do have some shimmy to them, so I suspect that something may have been dragging or still is to cause the hot spots. They're not horrible, but I will take a peek to see how the pads are and determine if I can turn the stock rotors or just buy all new with pads. Have had the car less than two weeks, so I'll be getting to the fluid changes and routine maintenance over the next few weeks.

I purchased frt and rear really good cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads from a vendor on another forum for 250 shipped.

Pm me if interested