: Ignition Switch Sticking

JFJr
10-21-11, 01:13 PM
Anyone have a problem with the ignition switch (key) sticking when attempting to start the car and then magically freeing up and turning? I have this problem intermittently and can't find what causes it. If you had this problem, what did the dealer find? I reported the problem but the dealer couldn't duplicate the issue.

Jud

JOEYCTS-V
10-21-11, 02:32 PM
I had this problem. There was a chafed wire underneath my drivers seat which caused that and other weird electrical glitches.

garfin
10-22-11, 08:53 AM
Anyone have a problem with the ignition switch (key) sticking when attempting to start the car and then magically freeing up and turning? I have this problem intermittently and can't find what causes it. If you had this problem, what did the dealer find? I reported the problem but the dealer couldn't duplicate the issue.

Jud

I get this too, every once in a while when I get into the car and try to turn the key. It usually turns the second time I try it, but sometimes I feel that I need to "push" the key into the steering column a bit if it still doesn't turn on the 2nd twist. Not sure if that is necessary as I get the feeling that there is sometimes a momentary delay in the car detecting the presence of the key fob, but I could be wrong. If the key doesn't turn the 1st time, it feels exactly the same as when I get into the car without the fob and attempt to turn the key.

Best regards,

Elie

JFJr
10-22-11, 02:14 PM
I get this too, every once in a while when I get into the car and try to turn the key. It usually turns the second time I try it, but sometimes I feel that I need to "push" the key into the steering column a bit if it still doesn't turn on the 2nd twist. Not sure if that is necessary as I get the feeling that there is sometimes a momentary delay in the car detecting the presence of the key fob, but I could be wrong. If the key doesn't turn the 1st time, it feels exactly the same as when I get into the car without the fob and attempt to turn the key.

Best regards,

ElieSometimes it takes a number of tries and several minutes to free up the switch. It's like there is something mechanical binding the "key." Do you get any indication from the DIC that the remote is not detected when it happens?

garfin
10-22-11, 03:01 PM
Sometimes it takes a number of tries and several minutes to free up the switch. It's like there is something mechanical binding the "key." Do you get any indication from the DIC that the remote is not detected when it happens?

No. What I have doesn't sound anywhere near as severe as what you are describing, but your physical description of the key "binding" is much like what I feel . The longest delay I've experienced in not being able to turn the key is a few seconds and 3 tries at most. Definitely never a message in the DIC about a key not being detected.

Best regards,

Elie

tedcmiller
10-22-11, 03:39 PM
I don't know whether this is your problem or not, but the "key" won't turn if the steering wheel is locked and pressing against the key mechanism. Try rotating the steering wheel out of the locked position (a small turn of the steering wheel either right or left should work) and then rotate the "key." There will not be a message in the DIC in any case.

JFJr
10-22-11, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. My car has been a daily driver since December 2008 so I have experienced the steering wheel in all configurations. Ted, I'll try your suggestion and see if it helps. I'll also check out the wiring under the driver's seat.

JOEYCTS-V
10-22-11, 10:09 PM
I would definitely check the wiring. Mine started like this, then it got worse and worse until it eventually didn't start at all no matter what I did or how long I waited. You don't want this to happen when you're in the middle of nowhere. It took my dealer 2 attempts to find the problem but they did and I'm very thankful. This will involve removing the drivers seat and carpet. Good luck and let us know.

Adic2Speed
10-23-11, 05:42 PM
I have this problem to, I have found it is not the ignition switch at all, but the gear shift release button. Try pushing the gearshift forward and see if that works. If not press, then release the gear shift butting while pushing it forward.

JFJr
10-23-11, 06:58 PM
Interesting, do you have an auto or manual?

garfin
10-26-11, 04:24 PM
Been observing over the last couple of days and without a doubt, the key on my car must be pushed in towards the steering column in order for it to turn freely to the "start" position. There is about 1/8" "in and out" movement from the steering column that the key travels through. I never really noticed this in the past, as I was probably pushing the key in towards the steering wheel most of the time without even realizing it. If my key does not turn to "start", it's because I'm not pushing it in...
When the car is turned off, the key then pops back (seems to be on some sort of spring) and moves that distance away from the steering column...
I'm thinking this is probably a different thing completely from the wiring issue that others have described and had fixed though.

Best regards,

Elie

JFJr
10-26-11, 04:59 PM
Been observing over the last couple of days and without a doubt, the key on my car must be pushed in towards the steering column in order for it to turn freely to the "start" position. There is about 1/8" "in and out" movement from the steering column that the key travels through. I never really noticed this in the past, as I was probably pushing the key in towards the steering wheel most of the time without even realizing it. If my key does not turn to "start", it's because I'm not pushing it in...
When the car is turned off, the key then pops back (seems to be on some sort of spring) and moves that distance away from the steering column...
I'm thinking this is probably a different thing completely from the wiring issue that others have described and had fixed though.

Best regards,

ElieYes, the key does have to be pushed in. With my issue it doesn't matter. Thanks for the observation.

Jud

marktanner
10-27-11, 07:29 AM
I have this issue occasionally, and my car is a manual. My '08 manual did it also, and once got so stuck it would not rotate at all, even after 15 minutes of trying (on the way to the airport to catch a flight, of course). Apparently, there is a cylinder that is on the top of the mechanism, and it occasionally will drop and block the rotation. Usually it will work itself free, but it my case it dropped too far, and completely disabled the starter. The service writer couldn't believe they engineered it this way, as they could have placed the cylinder below the mechanism, where simple gravity could never interfere, like it does now. Oh well!

JFJr
10-27-11, 09:35 AM
Thanks, that's it. Did it get fixed permanently and how? I'm at my dealership right now.

JOEYCTS-V
10-27-11, 02:33 PM
Mine did that too. It was a chafed wire.

JFJr
10-28-11, 11:54 AM
Update: Took my car to the dealership right before the 50,000 mile warranty expired to get this problem documented and hopefully, fixed. I even gave the service department hard copies of this thread to share the experiences of others, to no avail. Cadillac said they would not do anything unless the problem could be duplicated and, of course, it didn't occur while in the service department. They did check the wiring under the seat and looked for error codes, but no issues were discovered. At least I have a shot at getting my $200 deductible under Major Guard waived if the problem is fixed beyond the 50,000 mile warranty but under Major Guard.

Jud

JOEYCTS-V
10-28-11, 12:52 PM
When you say they checked the wiring under the seat, did they remove the seat and take up the carpet? Mine was underneath the carpet. That's ridiculous that they will not do anything further unless it happens there. My dealer took my word, diagnosed and found the problem.

marktanner
10-28-11, 07:10 PM
On my '08, it was totally stuck. They fixed it, but I lemon-lawed the car soon after for my V. I hope nobody ever got my old lemon to find out if it was a permanent fix.

SecretWeapon
10-29-11, 07:44 AM
I have to push the key in and wiggle the wheel once in a while to get it to turn. Took it in and the "service" morons said it was normal. I guess I will wait till it breaks.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-04-11, 02:16 PM
Thanks, that's it. Did it get fixed permanently and how? I'm at my dealership right now.

Has your concerned been resolved? Please feel free to let us know how is goes at the dealer. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, Cadillac Customer Service.

JFJr
11-04-11, 07:07 PM
Has not, I have reported it twice during the warranty problem to no avail. I need action not words.

Jud

RapidRob
11-04-11, 09:51 PM
Has not, I have reported it twice during the warranty problem to no avail. I need action not words.

Jud

Maybe PM her as well Jud, if you haven't done so already ...

Rob

Patent Guy
11-05-11, 12:42 AM
Has your concerned been resolved? Please feel free to let us know how is goes at the dealer. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, Cadillac Customer Service.

I think it is rather amazing that someone from Cadillac customer service is monitoring this forum - greatly appreciated. Kudos to Cadillac for making the effort.
I trust the OP's issue is resolved shortly.