: Service Stabilitrak after installing new rotors and pads and ABS constantly engages

MrMaschine
10-20-11, 11:30 PM
I installed the 2 piece Brembo front rotors today and new OEM rears.

I used Carbotech pads.

Took the car out before and the pads were dragging really bad just from backing out of the driveway.
Down the road i started to smell them a little. This never happened with the single piece rotors and the OEM or HAWK Pads, maybe the Carbotechs and 2 piece thickness is too tight of a tolerance?

I did a few 40mph stops trying to bed them in but then the Stabiltrak fault came on. As i continued to drive on local side roads with my foot on the brake pedal the pedal was pulsating as if the ABS
constantly being engaged as i hit ever bump in the road.

Im so frustrated because its the weekend and I needed the car to head up to Boston with the family but I honestly do not feel safe driving like this. When I parked the car in the garage the brakes were smoking, the fronts only. I am really worried here that something isnt compatible.

Anyone have suggestions?

The only thing that I didn't do was install the small set screws that hold the rotor to the hub. Mine were so corroded i had to drill them out for now but I cant see this being the cause. I checked the
sensor lines and Mag sensors links and all checks out OK.

Caddyscat
10-21-11, 05:41 AM
After removing and replacing my alcantara wheel for cleaning, my stabilitrak fault also came on. Pushed onstar button. Tech informed me the steering wheel position sensor was not aligned. Didn't tell him I removed wheel. So I removed and re-aligned the sensor through the average of turns each way. Problem solved.

My point is, if this forum cannot help, push the onstar button. They have a tech that might be able to help. Going to watch this thread since I plan on changing brakes soon as well.

The Tony Show
10-21-11, 02:08 PM
Either you caused a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors attached to the hub when you replaced the rotor or one of the pads is causing a wheel to bind on brake pedal application (potentially incorrect pads?).

MrMaschine
10-21-11, 04:17 PM
Hi the problem was a steering angle sensor, they recalibrated and aligned the car and its now fine. No idea how or why this happened they said maybe i hit something when driving to toss the alignment very out of spec but the car seemed to drive ok prior to installing the rotors.

Just so damn happy i got the car back for the weekend.

JimmyH
10-21-11, 06:05 PM
thanks for updating with the resolution :thumbsup:

MrMaschine
10-21-11, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=Caddyscat;2750175]After removing and replacing my alcantara wheel for cleaning, my stabilitrak fault also came on. Pushed onstar button. Tech informed me the steering wheel position sensor was not aligned. Didn't tell him I removed wheel. So I removed and re-aligned the sensor through the average of turns each way. Problem solved.

Hey can you post in this thread exactly how you re-aligned the steering position sensor so if this does happen again i can do this myself.

peso611
06-21-12, 11:28 PM
I had a similar issue today.