: First Waxing on 2012 SRX

duke11
10-20-11, 10:16 PM
I took delivery on my 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat SRX Premium last week. My question is how long should I wait to apply the first coat of wax. Does Cadillac have a recommended time frame to apply first coat of wax. Also does Cadillac recommend a wax or polish for the crystal red tintcoat? Any information will be most helpful!

Duke11

JimmyH
10-20-11, 11:27 PM
nevermind.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-21-11, 04:28 PM
Duke11,

Finish Care:
Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax materials is not recommended. If painted surfaces are damaged, see your dealer to have the damage assessed and repaired. Foreign materials such ascalcium chloride and other salts, ice melting agents, road oil and tar, tree sap, bird droppings, chemicals from industrial chimneys, etc., can damage the vehicle's finish if they remain on painted surfaces. Wash the vehicle as soon as possible. If necessary, use non-abrasive cleaners that are marked safe for painted surfaces to remove foreign matter. polishing should be done to remove residue from the paint finish. See your dealer for approved cleaning products.
Notice: Machine compounding or aggressive polishing on a basecoat/clearcoat paint finish may damage it. Use only non-abrasive waxes and polishes that are made for a basecoat/ clearcoat paint finish on the vehicle.
To keep the paint finish looking new, keep the vehicle garaged or covered whenever possible.
Protecting Exterior Bright Metal Parts
Regularly clean bright metal parts with water or chrome polish on chrome or stainless steel trim, if necessary. For aluminum, never use auto or chrome polish, steam, or caustic soap to clean. A coating of wax, rubbed to a high polish, is recommended for all bright metal parts.

This information can also be found on page 10-96 of your owners manual. I hope this helps.

Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Cadillac Tony
10-22-11, 11:07 AM
Hi Duke,

Part of the delivery process at your dealership should have included waxing the car, most likely with a liquid or paste wax. It takes about a month from the time of assembly for cars to reach us, so the paint has already had time to cure. There's no need to wait to apply your preferred wax.

As far as wax vs polish, anything with the word polish on the label will contain a mild abrasive, and should only be used if you're trying to remove scratches or swirl marks with an orbital buffer. For protection, just use the regular wax of your choice (Mothers, Meguiars, Griots, etc).

928S
11-22-11, 02:39 PM
...As far as wax vs polish, anything with the word polish on the label will contain a mild abrasive, and should only be used if you're trying to remove scratches or swirl marks with an orbital buffer. For protection, just use the regular wax of your choice (Mothers, Meguiars, Griots, etc).

Well, not exactly. Among car detailing aficionados, professionals and amateurs alike, one of the most highly-recommended products is "Zaino Z-2 PRO Polymer Polish For Clear Coated Finishes" which contains UV protection and absolutely no abrasives. A double application of Zaino every six months keeps my 4-year-old CTS looking better than new. I would never recommend or apply natural "wax" to my car; for me, it's non-abrasive long-lasting synthetic polymer "polish" only.