: Chrome Wheels Question: PVD

classiccars
10-19-11, 09:13 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my 2012 18" Luxury wheels to some sort of OEM chrome wheels. I see they offered a 20" 7-spoke chrome tech wheels. I also see listed on eBay a few of the original stock 18" wheels that have been chromed with new chrome center caps.

My question is: How is the chrome plating on these wheels? Are the OEM chrome 20" holding up to the weather? (Salt) Are they "Plated" chrome?

I heard about the "PVD" type of chrome wheels. That process sounds like it would hold up better in the winter months.

What are the "pros" and "cons" on each wheel adn type of chrome plating?

Thanks Ken

2012Pearl
10-19-11, 10:05 PM
I was told that the luxury model cannot accomodate 20s but it doesn't make sense to me. You may want to confirm before making that purchase

TheCaptain
10-20-11, 03:09 PM
The Lux (and other non 20" trims) shouldn't have any problem with 20's, as long as you keep the tire size close to the stock size for the 20's.

I believe the PVD chrome to be better all the way around, and should hold up in winter way better then the plastic, chrome covered chrome-tech rims. I can't say how well the chrome-tech's will hold up though, as i switch to the 18's for winter months.

cvettr/cts-v
10-20-11, 03:36 PM
The biggest down side to the chrometech's are that you can not replace one at a time if one gets damaged. Also the cost is bordering custom wheel costs. If I were you I'd go aftermarket or have yours plated and stay away from the plastic chrometech only for the replacement reasons. Guess we found out why the option was not that costly as they wanted to make up for it upon replacements once they get curbed or damaged by a tire shop. Still waiting and hoping there is not breakdown of the glue over time and they start fly off peoples vehicles. I'm sure they did not test the adhesive properties over a 10 year or so period before using it.

cz9h3d
10-21-11, 11:34 AM
The amount you are going to pay for a set of 20" wheels and tires, as well as mounting, balancing, installing the pressure sensors, etc...... it will likely be more expensive than if you had just purchased a 1SD Performance Collection with the 20" wheels standard (do you have Navigation on your Luxury? Then this is definitely true).

Regardless, the factory 20" chrome tech is an official "accessory". This just means it might be priced a little better than just a service part.

There is a new 20" accessory wheel coming soon - in a midnight silver, as well as chrome finish. I've seen it, and it looks very very nice. These should show in the December-January timeframe (cross your fingers).