: Clutch pedal sporadically not returning to top?

WesH8398
10-19-11, 11:59 AM
My '06 just recently started doing this every once in a while. It was doing it before AND after a fluid bleed/replacement (with a Motive bleeder), and it will do it even after I've been driving around and everything's warmed up.
On some random shift my clutch action will be waaay down near the floor, so I'll let it out too fast and jerk the shit out of the car. I just have to pull the pedal back up to the top with my toe, and it goes back to normal; otherwise it'll just stay that way and continue to shift fine, just with the action being down at the floor.
I'm reasonably confident that it's not a fluid or air-in-the-line issue, but what else could it be? Is there a "spring" in there that might need a lube or something?

darkman
10-19-11, 12:38 PM
See attached.

lollygagger8
10-19-11, 02:48 PM
:yeah: Darkman to the rescue (per usual)

The Tony Show
10-19-11, 02:51 PM
If it does it at high RPM, wide open throttle shifts, it could also be indicative of a failing pressure plate. That's what mine was, and GM issued a bulletin for early Vs and Z06s which came with insufficient spec pressure plates.

rand49er
10-19-11, 03:09 PM
See attached.Notice the top picture on Page 2. There appears to be two springs involved in returning the pedal.

I found this on the floor of my car under the clutch pedal in Feb '07. The penny in shown for size comparison. Pedal seemed to work fine, but I took it into the dealer, and they replaced the entire assembly (on warranty).

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/rand49er/spring070224.jpg

ctsv154
10-20-11, 01:17 AM
The pressure plate should have more than enough pressure to return the pedal with no springs at all on the pedal. I would say this is a case of a failing slave. Been there, done that.

WesH8398
10-20-11, 03:04 AM
This has nothing to do with WOT shifts, etc. I've noticed it a few times, all of which were while just putting around town. Every time, once I pull the pedal back up with my toe, it does not repeat again for a few days, or usually weeks. *shrug*

rand49er
10-20-11, 09:24 AM
Hey, Wes ... I just noticed your post. ^^^ Is this keeping you up at night?

BTW, Bobby knows his stuff. I'd check into that slave of yours.

WesH8398
10-20-11, 11:02 AM
Hey, Wes ... I just noticed your post. ^^^ Is this keeping you up at night?

BTW, Bobby knows his stuff. I'd check into that slave of yours.

I'm a shift worker Randy. 3am is nothing. lol

So, are their any trouble shooting tests I can do for the slave? Maybe darkman's attachment has an answer, but my phone doesn't recognize the format, so I haven't been able to look yet.

rand49er
10-20-11, 01:34 PM
I'm a shift worker Randy. 3am is nothing. lol ...No wonder you can never meet up with us ... during the daytime.

Not sure about any troubleshooting tests that can be used with a slave, but if you end up having to replace it (Luke has 'em, btw), ir would be a great time to put in a remote bleeder (~ a hundred bucks +/-). Then, if you were considering a clutch/flywheel replacement, it would be a good time for that, too.

It's just money.

WesH8398
10-20-11, 06:52 PM
No wonder you can never meet up with us ... during the daytime.

Not sure about any troubleshooting tests that can be used with a slave, but if you end up having to replace it (Luke has 'em, btw), ir would be a great time to put in a remote bleeder (~ a hundred bucks +/-). Then, if you were considering a clutch/flywheel replacement, it would be a good time for that, too.

It's just money.

Yah, I dont always work nights but I do always work 12 hour shifts. It's a double edged sword, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

The LS7 clutch setup is definitely on my wish list, but I've got other things to spend my money on right now. Hopefully if this is a slave issue, it'll hold up for a while until I'm more comfortable putting my money there.