: Newbie looking to get CST-V sedan or coupe

priobe
10-17-11, 12:04 PM
Hello,

Im new to this site and would like to know if you guys could give me a cram session on the CTS V.

I am thinking about a CTV V from possible 2009 - 2012. Obviously if the 2012 has no difference I would rather keep the depression cost in the bank, then have bragging rights for a year ( no offense to anyone).
I have a perfomance car history so I am aware of what I am getting into as far gas mileage and other Eco-friendly features.

What is the difference from the coupe to sedan ( two door vs 4 door)?
What options / power was improved or lost?
What know issues should I expect?
What least do you like about your car?
What most do you like about your car?

Anything to look out for when search for a car?

Thanks for any feed back you can provide.

deckofficer
10-17-11, 03:05 PM
The 2009 V was $41K in the 8th quarter, $45K in the 9th, and the current 10th it is at $50K. For this reason alone, I'd buy a new one, which I did. The item I like best about the V (I have a 2011 Coupe) is its cornering ability and a smooth ride. I have never owned a car that could do both. The straight line performance is good, but I'm jaded in that department, have current and past rides that were much faster.

priobe
10-18-11, 09:32 AM
I am currently seeing 2009 around 45K - 50K.

The 2012 are well into the 65K +. Factor in depreciation right when you leave the lot and the older model is worth it as long as it does not have too many miles.

Not sure why one would pay a premium for a newer one (at this time) when they hold their value.

I tossed the idea of a new one, and I did not see the benefit. Unless there are feature differences.

Z06ified
10-18-11, 02:23 PM
What is the difference from the coupe to sedan ( two door vs 4 door)?
Aside from the obvious, not much, other than rear seat headroom and access is constrained on the coupe and the trunk is a bit smaller, and the windshield has a steeper rake.

What options / power was improved or lost?

2011+ gained a rearview camera. No change in power since introduction in 2009.

What know issues should I expect?
2009-2010 some have clicking wheels. Not a real problem per se, but can be annoying. Fixed with a new wheel design, TSB. Some cars have a supercharger isolator rattle too, groaning rear differential when cold (diff fluid change usually fixes), and the trim ring around the ultraview moonroof often rattles. All minor issues.

What least do you like about your car?
Small gas tank. At only 16 gallons and 15 mpg, this car passes everything but the gas station.

What most do you like about your car?
The dual personality of the car: this car can crank out near super-car performance on a race track, but it's a 4-door luxury sedan with all the luxury and features that go with it. Only a handful of cars can do that, even fewer with a manual transmission.

Anything to look out for when search for a car?
Other than the above issues, and the obvious signs of abuse/lack of maintenance that would be applicable to any used car purchase, nothing in particular.

priobe
10-18-11, 04:26 PM
thanks for the replies

That hit the nail on the head!

Is there anything else I should know what these cars?

EricVonHa
10-18-11, 04:36 PM
One of the major options cost-wise are the Recaro seats ($3,400.00 new). They are worth every penny if you're into the performance aspect of things. With the adjustable upper and lower bolsters... the seats are just amazing and fit most anyone. The cars with the manual 6-speed and the Recaros are going to be worth more in the long run. When you do "used" searches till this day the majority of the cars out there for re-sale are automatics. Contact me if you're serious about buying. I know of one that you might be interested in.

midtown
10-20-11, 04:50 PM
I have a 5 and 2 year old so went with the sedan. In all honestly I would have bot the sedan even without the kids. I just like the styling. I bot my 09 completely loaded for $49k with 20k miles back in June.

JimmyH
10-21-11, 07:03 PM
Having young kids is actually the perfect time to get a coupe. They can fit easily in a tiny back seat, and ingress/egress is not a problem for them. It's when they get older that a sedan will be needed. And before having kids, a sedan is ideal, because of the tendency to go out with friends, who will appreciate a sedan.

Kluch
10-22-11, 10:45 AM
Having young kids is actually the perfect time to get a coupe. They can fit easily in a tiny back seat, and ingress/egress is not a problem for them. It's when they get older that a sedan will be needed. And before having kids, a sedan is ideal, because of the tendency to go out with friends, who will appreciate a sedan.

This.

My 2 and 4 yr old think its cool climbing in and out of the coupe. They have fun and daddy doesn't feel like he's driving a family car. I keep reminding my wife how practical the car is.

One minor disagreement though. The wheel clicking was NOT fixed by the new wheels. For many it comes back. The TSB for this was updated so that regular cleaning of the wheel/hub interface is part of the premium care maintenance and regular service visits. There is no known permanent fix for this issue, though from some of the insiders on these boards it is clear that GM is still working on the issue.

Good luck with your purchase. Its a great car (sedan or coupe is a personal preference) with very few major issues. Just a few clicks and noises here and there, but nothing serious and a huge value for the performance and luxury combo.

I'd also be careful when buying used, because there have been a few cases of previously modded V's with lots of issues being returned to "stock" and sold to unsuspecting buyers. Do your homework!

M5eater
10-22-11, 10:48 AM
2011+ gained a rearview camera. No change in power since introduction in 2009.

2011 lost rainsense wipers as well. It came back for 2012. Also note that 2011 was the first year for standard navigation , it was an option (albeit a popular one) for 2009-2010.
2011 was also the first year for the Black Diamond Special edition, satin graphite wheels, and yellow calipers. 2012 brough moca steel and opulant blue paint codes, and the options configuration change for 2012 too, saphite rims and yellow calipers could be spec'd seperatly.

needspeed
10-22-11, 01:05 PM
They also added side blind zone alert on the coupe that I know of......Steve

smackdownCTSV
10-22-11, 01:25 PM
2011 lost rainsense wipers as well. It came back for 2012. Also note that 2011 was the first year for standard navigation , it was an option (albeit a popular one) for 2009-2010.
2011 was also the first year for the Black Diamond Special edition, satin graphite wheels, and yellow calipers. 2012 brough moca steel and opulant blue paint codes, and the options configuration change for 2012 too, saphite rims and yellow calipers could be spec'd seperatly.

Sticker shows 2010 as having the nav standard. That's why the MSRP went up around $2k-ish.

concorso
10-22-11, 01:43 PM
It should also be noted that the BOSE system is great for a stock system. Im almost choking here saying that, but its true.

cruiser68
10-22-11, 02:26 PM
It should also be noted that the BOSE system is great for a stock system. Im almost choking here saying that, but its true.

+1. First Bose system I have had that I was mildly happy with. Little light on bass but not too shabby for OEM IMO.

M5eater
10-22-11, 09:46 PM

+1 although the Bose systems in the Audi's I've had were pretty good too, but the Caddy is a bit better than the Audi's use of them, and I would agree on the Bass part too. As long as they don't suffer center pad seperation like the audi's and start rattling after a few years, they'll be golden. Anyone except a crack audio enthusaist would be able to find a compaint with them.

Sticker shows 2010 as having the nav standard. That's why the MSRP went up around $2k-ish.
thanks for the correction.

stabie
10-23-11, 11:31 AM
Agree the Bose is pretty good. I also am not sure if it is the newer model (08 vs 011), body style (sedan vs wagon) or the lack of the sunroof on my wagon is the reason that the system sounds better. My gut feeling is the lack of sunroof is why I think the 11 sounds better than my 08 sedan. The sunroof uses an almost completely transparent cloth (sonically) which causes unwanted sound reflections into the cabin. I liked the sunroof in the sedan I had for those cool sunny days, but sound wise, I like the lack of it. Life is full of tradeoffs.