: V owners are paying dearly for GM's wins on the European tracks

deckofficer
10-17-11, 03:48 AM
My first and only real complaint about GM and Caddy, they are having the owners of the V pay for their win at the European Tracks. Most every new car I drive, they are all pretty much geared the same for the top OD gear, and that is 70 MPH at 2000 rpm, but not the V. To insure the win, Caddy went with 2 small OD steps, so at 70 MPH = 2200 rpm. Any 'Vette newer than 12 years old will break 30 MPG hwy, if driven at the speed limit. The V can only muster 22 MPG, combine that with 14 city for the stick, and clutch people pay $1300 gas guzzler tax. The automatic camp pay $2600. I know their is more drag coefficient on the V, but at legal speeds should not effect MPG much, it is all the gearing's fault. My double OD should be 0.50 for 6th, then much better fuel mileage and no gas guzzler tax. Because I couldn't produce the big mileage numbers, I decided what the hell, enjoy the drive and put your foot in it on a few passes. Trip up 74.7 MPH average (which INCLUDES food, fuel, and restroom stops) and 18.9 MPG. Return leg, 67.6 MPH and 20.5 MPG. This return leg included a bit of fun with a snarly, big intercooled, after market turbo rice car and the young driver, who gunned it to what sounded like 7 grand, pulled some gears at freeway speed, and THOUGHT he was going to leave me in the dust starting the race at 70 MPH. I'm pretty sure I could have spanked him by leaving mine in 6th and just rolling it on, but when he revved, his exhaust really barked loud and I was enjoying a Grateful Dead concert on XM, and as long as his exhausts were ahead of me, I was subjected to the "machine gun inside the barrel" noise. To insure a fast pass, pulled 4th gear and nailed it. Didn't bother to shift to 5th till well over 100, which was less than 3 seconds. Stayed wide open in 5th till 145 MPH, just to make sure the spanking was complete. I know folks are going to say "how childish", but cut me some slack, I've had the V over 3 months and this road trip was only the 11th and 12 th day I got to drive it.

mberisha
10-17-11, 04:33 AM
I saw the "spanking" at Le Mans this summer by the 'Vette.....very nice......

As far as the OD talk....I hardly EVER put my V1 in 6th gear....usually stay in 4th on the Autobahns up to about 115mph....and then 5th if I'm above 115mph.....get about ~12-15mpg depending what I'm passing. So I'm not even sure what my mpg would be in OD....

Gotta pay to play.....

deckofficer
10-17-11, 04:55 AM
But we didn't have to pay if they would of given us a choice of track gearing or hwy gearing. When I put a new Tremec in my Track-T, I chose the highway gears instead of the track gears. I'm 1750 rpm at 73 mph, can break 30 mpg, and can just sail past the V to triple digits. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too if Caddy would have offered a 0.50 for 6th.

Mystical_Ice
10-17-11, 11:42 AM
Maybe all we'd have to do is swap the rear end out ;)

I used to drive with a GTO quite a bit in my gen I cts-v, and i remember that at 70mph, his RPMs would be a good 500 less than me, with the same transmission. I believe their differentials were geared 3.24:1 or something like that, while we were 3.73:1. That gave the cadillac the edge in a 1/4 mile, but at highway speeds, just crusing, that's when we pay :/

concorso
10-17-11, 11:56 AM
I can see your frustration. It would be nice if Cadillac would offer different trans and diff ratios. A 3.23:1 with a .50 6th would be great for the people who daily drive this car, using more of the Cadillac personality, then the V. Then for the wknd racers/speed addicts, they could use the present set-up.

Are you sure, tho, that the ZR1 can achieve 30 mpg on the highway? I was under the impression it was under 25 mpg. My father has a Z06 right now(one of his 10+ vettes he's had since the late 80's) and I cant count how many times he's mentioned how his Vette gets better mileage then most any car Ive had....with considerably less hp.

deckofficer
10-17-11, 01:22 PM
I can see your frustration. It would be nice if Cadillac would offer different trans and diff ratios. A 3.23:1 with a .50 6th would be great for the people who daily drive this car, using more of the Cadillac personality, then the V. Then for the wknd racers/speed addicts, they could use the present set-up.

Are you sure, tho, that the ZR1 can achieve 30 mpg on the highway? I was under the impression it was under 25 mpg. My father has a Z06 right now(one of his 10+ vettes he's had since the late 80's) and I cant count how many times he's mentioned how his Vette gets better mileage then most any car Ive had....with considerably less hp.

I should have mentioned I didn't know about the ZR-1, because I haven't driven one on a trip.

Squirlz
10-17-11, 06:25 PM
What race series are you talking about?

deckofficer
10-17-11, 07:31 PM
In 2009, setting a track record for a sedan so that they could get mileage for advertising. Too bad we don't get mileage. With the low rpm torque we have, they could have kept everything thing the same, tire diameter, rear end ratio, 1st thru 5th the same, but gave us a 0.50 6th. Tremec makes that ratio, Caddy could have offered it to all who will not be going to the track (which is most of us), got a better CAFE, we would get near 30mpg highway and not paid the gas guzzler tax. Pretty simple, so to date my only complaint on the V, a double OD with too short of steps.

elphil
10-17-11, 08:18 PM
You do know the CTS-V Nurburgring record run was done with an automatic, just left in the "sport" position.

elphil
10-17-11, 08:23 PM
You do know the CTS-V Nurburgring record was done with an automatic, left in the "Sport" position. I'll bet it never went in to 6th gear during the lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8ZiO6ebn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9d5xf-xeOU

SRTVIPER03
10-17-11, 11:11 PM
The mileage is one thing but the 16gallon tank in my wagon is another. My girlfriend's bladder is bigger.

newcadman
10-17-11, 11:30 PM
Especially enjoyable when the " riceys" with their fart mufflers are involved. Good story !

Mystical_Ice
10-18-11, 01:05 AM
The mileage is one thing but the 16gallon tank in my wagon is another. My girlfriend's bladder is bigger.

Quoted for truth.

Hate filling up every 180-200 miles.

elphil
10-18-11, 02:06 AM
The tank is 18 gallons but still too small. 22 or 24 would be great.

deckofficer
10-18-11, 03:24 AM
Even if Cad charged $500 for the 0.50 top gear, you would be $800 ahead of the game at purchase (GG tax) and if you drive 10,000 "trip" miles per year, you would save over $400 per year just in fuel.

mberisha
10-18-11, 04:46 AM
You do know the CTS-V Nurburgring record was done with an automatic, left in the "Sport" position. I'll bet it never went in to 6th gear during the lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8ZiO6ebn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9d5xf-xeOU

You could bet your first born on that one.....

sykoV
10-18-11, 05:44 PM
I got my first over 300 mile commute to and from work. I drive 80 on the hi way.I have had the car for almost a year.

JimmyH
10-18-11, 05:59 PM
get a DD. You will appreciate your V even more on the days you drive it, and it keep it newer longer.

sykoV
10-18-11, 10:07 PM
I have a DD it's the V. My C5 TT Z06 is the weekend car for getting wild.

M5eater
10-18-11, 10:10 PM
get a DD. You will appreciate your V even more on the days you drive it, and it keep it newer longer.

unless you're making six figures a year and have a burning desire to... burn fuel, there's really no sane reason to Daily drive a 15-16mpg sedan anyway.

Everyone needs to remember though, GMPD pulled the Tremec and 6L90E from other cars, infact most of the stuff on the CTS-V is OTS, and it was put-together during a time when GM was still fairly broke, so I'm sure gear-swaps were off the table. Their main concerns were engineering the CTS's chassis and components to easily accept the additional power and handling characteristics of the V2 rather than work the reverse like they did with the V1.

deckofficer
10-19-11, 12:24 AM
Mine is not a DD, not even close. 90 days of ownership, 12 days driven. After 25 years it could have 150,000 miles but look and drive like a one year old car. That happens when each time you drive, 250 or more miles, no stop and go, etc. Top dollar for cars that are both collectable and survivor plus like new condition. As much faster the auto is over the stick off the line, I only went with the stick for the low production numbers.

mberisha
10-19-11, 08:29 AM
Mine is not a DD, not even close. 90 days of ownership, 12 days driven. After 25 years it could have 150,000 miles but look and drive like a one year old car. That happens when each time you drive, 250 or more miles, no stop and go, etc. Top dollar for cars that are both collectable and survivor plus like new condition. As much faster the auto is over the stick off the line, I only went with the stick for the low production numbers.

Congrats....btw...do you mark the days you drive on a calander...or just have a really good memory....:)

thebigjimsho
10-20-11, 02:31 AM
Throw in a T56 and call it a day. lulz.

deckofficer
10-20-11, 02:04 PM
Congrats....btw...do you mark the days you drive on a calander...or just have a really good memory....:)

I'm taking care of my 92 year old Dad, so I'm almost a shut-in, and good memory. Documented with pictures every short road trip taking him for a drive, and when it is just me, I've had to pay a nurse, so it is rather easy to keep track of my days driving the V. In the same period of time, only driven the T 4 days.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC004951014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC005111014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/2010%20Freds%20Fun%20Run/DSC013001014x760.jpg

TexasCTSV
10-20-11, 04:53 PM
unless you're making six figures a year and have a burning desire to... burn fuel, there's really no sane reason to Daily drive a 15-16mpg sedan anyway.

Daily driver here. If I did not have a burning desire for gobs of horsepower, I probably would have bought a Platinum Edition F150 and daily drove that, like every other guy around, and gotten the same gas mileage. V puts a smile on my face every morning and every afternoon. A lot better than having some beater to sheepishly crawl into at those same times. If I put miles on it, so what. It's a car. I have plenty of other investment methods that will get me a better rate of return than what my CTS-V might have been worth 30+ years from now and it had 0 miles.