: Hankook first impression-

Mike 09 V
10-17-11, 03:09 AM
I turned 26K and the PS2's were skidding all over the place. I decided to install Hankooks Ventus EVO in the stock tire sizes. Nothing fancy. So after a couple hundred miles this is what I've noticed so far- The tires are a lot quieter than the Michelins. With 33 psi inflation pressure, when I hit a bump the impact is muted, the tire seems much softer. The general road noise is considerably quieter as well. I noticed that the steering effort is reduced considerably; I can only assume it is due to less friction on the road, since nothing else was done to the car. Since I don't drive on a road course, maximum traction isn't something I really care about, but my assumption is that it won't have as much grip as the PS2s. My indicated gas mileage also increased 1/10 mpg, and I haven't reset my counter for quite some time so to make an indicated difference in a couple hundred miles is significant. I can't explain that other than less steering effort takes less engine power and should use less gas, and perhaps the tire is a little harder, less friction equals less HP required to move the car. Which seems counterintuitive since the tire feels softer in the noise and bump department. FWIW the wear rating on the Hankooks is higher than the PS2 which points to a harder tire. What the heck do I know anyway? So this is my report to you all, and after a couple thousand more miles if there is something significantly different I will let you know.

v05
10-17-11, 11:10 AM
i got the same ones. I like them. They were on the car when i bought it so i havent had a chance to try any other tires. I make 560 whp and they hook up good for that tread #..
I tracked it a few weeks ago and it pushed a little more than i thought it should so i would say for steering they could be a little better..
over all a 7-8 out of 10

TexasCTSV
10-17-11, 11:13 AM
I had these on my G8 and I liked them. I will most likely be replacing the PS2's on my V with the Hankooks when it comes time to do so. Lateral grip is not as good on the Hankooks because they have a a softer sidewall, but the treadlife and general grip when hooking is pretty good. Especially for the price. If you are tracking the car, you will be better off with a different set.

v05
10-17-11, 02:16 PM
thanks good to know.

Jpjr
10-17-11, 10:56 PM
hankooks own the ps2s... 90% of performance for 50% of price

TexasCTSV
10-18-11, 12:00 AM
hankooks own the ps2s... 90% of performance for 50% of price

Pretty much spot on there.

jb_bgg
10-18-11, 03:40 PM
They were on the 09 6M sedan I bought this past March with 25K on the odometer. Tracked it at Auto Club Speedway a couple times and agree they do lose lateral grip and get greasy if drivien hard early in a session even with PSI in the high 20's and TC nanny on. On the street in normal and (ahem) occasional spirited driving they fine. Quiet, consistent and predictable performance, and I've been seeing even wear (minus the fronts sidewall track wear) across all four. I'd buy 'em again unless something in a similar price range warrants a trial. Don't see the need to pay PS2 or PSS prices for marginal gains and potentially more road noise.

Tuna
10-18-11, 04:47 PM
New tires will always be quieter with a better ride than the old tires. If the Hankook's have a softer sidewall, that will make them seem even better. Everything is a trade off - especially when it comes to tires.

I'm just glad I don't need to worry about which tires to buy yet! ;)

thebigjimsho
10-20-11, 02:25 AM
hankooks own the ps2s... 90% of performance for 50% of priceIncorrect. Michelin owns Hankook.

thebigjimsho
10-20-11, 02:26 AM
i got the same ones. I like them. They were on the car when i bought it so i havent had a chance to try any other tires. I make 560 whp and they hook up good for that tread #..
I tracked it a few weeks ago and it pushed a little more than i thought it should so i would say for steering they could be a little better..
over all a 7-8 out of 10If you think they hook well, then you really need to try the Michelins or another aggressive Max Performance tire. The one thing severely lacking going from Michelin to Hankook was the launch. The Evos do not launch nearly as well...

dqw1
10-20-11, 10:17 AM
Under hard acceleration, the rear "fishtails" with the Hankooks with "TC on". With the PS2's the rear stays in line pretty much and hooks better. I still like the Hankooks for the price, drive comfort and less road noise but the PS2 is superior and you pay for that also.

Jpjr
10-20-11, 11:36 AM
Incorrect. Michelin owns Hankook.

Victim of marketing?

I've got Hankooks (V2) and PS2s (Cobra) in my garage right now. The only time I've ever noticed a meaningful difference in performance is in very hard cornering on new tires. As soon as the PS2s wear a little their advantage plummets. I will keep buying them for the Cobra because I only drive it hard, but they are a huge waste of money for a daily driver.

jb_bgg
10-20-11, 02:27 PM
Anyone gone from Hankook to Nitto's? Opinions?

thebigjimsho
10-20-11, 06:14 PM
Victim of marketing?

I've got Hankooks (V2) and PS2s (Cobra) in my garage right now. The only time I've ever noticed a meaningful difference in performance is in very hard cornering on new tires. As soon as the PS2s wear a little their advantage plummets. I will keep buying them for the Cobra because I only drive it hard, but they are a huge waste of money for a daily driver.I disagree again. On my V1, the F1 Supercars were awful when worn. On the V2, the PS2s were excellent and consistent all the way down...

stabie
10-20-11, 11:22 PM
What about braking on the hankooks? The michey's get like 105 foot stops from 60. Pretty incredible.

Jpjr
10-21-11, 06:51 PM
What about braking on the hankooks? The michey's get like 105 foot stops from 60. Pretty incredible.

I notice no difference. Same in the rain.

MrMaschine
10-21-11, 07:07 PM
Im partial here I tried these tires before and the Conti Extreme DW, I am now back on the PS2 because the PS2 has the best grip, steering response and reaction of any tire ive tested on this car or any other. yes they are expensive but GM choose the PS2 for a reason and with my cars bigger sway bars, end links, springs etc its a huge difference you can notice just driving down the block.
I do wish they had better road noise isolation and smoothness than the Conti had but the Conti and Hankook had too much a wishy washy steering response.

Chubbilicious420
10-23-11, 06:39 PM
I have run 2 sets of PS2s and one set of Hankooks and found the Hankooks were much better in wet, just as quiet and as good in the dry, but significantly out lasted the PS2s. 20 to 25K out of the PS2 and 30 out of the Hankooks. On a V1.

thebigjimsho
10-23-11, 09:25 PM
I didn't get that at all. When one says wet, there is multiple wet variables. On a wet road, the PS2 and Hankook grip about the same. With standing water, the Hankooks were much better. As for the dry, the PS2s are a bit better.