: New 06

dangrus
10-16-11, 06:01 PM
After trolling these forums for the last couple years, I finally pulled the trigger and picked up an 06 V. It has just over 68k miles and appears to have been very well taken care of. It was a nice surprise to pop the trunk and find a full size spare even though the rim has a ton of wear due to the cover riding on it.

Eliminating the CAGS is definitely the first project. The engine mounts are gone aswell so that will be the next step followed by the front struts that are on their last legs. I never under stood the desire to replace the stock fly wheel, I do now, that is annoying as hell.

pato
10-16-11, 06:13 PM
Congrats! Don't forget to check the condition of the differential bushing.

rand49er
10-16-11, 08:56 PM
Congrats!

If your CAGS is still in place, that car must be bone stock since that's usually the first to go.

Alpinelx
10-16-11, 09:24 PM
"The engine mounts are gone as well so that will be the next step followed by the front struts that are on their last legs. I never under stood the desire to replace the stock fly wheel, I do now, that is annoying as hell."

-I just bought an 06 V as well with 63k miles on it. Is it normal for the engine mounts to be on their way out on a 5 year old car? Also, how do you know when your front struts are on their last legs? Lastly, I noticed that the flywheel is pretty heavy, so when I go 1 to 4th, the engine takes a while for it to rev down, unless I drop the clutch, at which point it drops the RPM at the expense to the clutch. Does this problem go away with a lighter flywheel?

dangrus
10-17-11, 12:56 AM
It does appear to be bone stock. It has RSA tires on there, I think they are the OE runflats but I don't know for sure. It seems to be very unmolested. It was 2 qts low on oil when I picked it up which was kind of scary.

I first noticed that the engine seemed like it had a miss when I was sitting at a stop light during the test drive. Then I noticed it shook on start up and shutdown which is what appears to be the biggest indicator. Finally I was changing the oil and I could see the yellowish deposits on the oil pan and bellhousing from the motor mount fluid. I believe the motor mount lifetime can't be much past 60k miles, sooner if it was beat on.

I can feel a little bit of a rattle going over transitions in the road, like pot holes and where a drive way meets the road. It is not a "rattle" but more like you can feel like something is loose. That is normally worn struts and shocks, I can't see them lasting more then 65k as well.

From what I understand, there are multiple lighter variations of flywheels for this car. If you get too light, it is easier to stall. This is the first daily driver stick in 10 years for me so I am going to relearn how not to stall before I start investigating the flywheel and clutch swap.

It is interesting how much you have to explain what this car is to people. Their opinion of a Cadillac changes after you take them for a ride. The acceleration is addictive.

Alpinelx
10-17-11, 01:34 AM
Dangrus, Thank you for your advice. My 06 CTS-V shakes a bit at idle and when I first start up. (I just thought it did that because the 6.0 is a beast. lol) Where do you recommend someone buy the motor mounts and how much do they typically cost? Is this a fairly easy maintenance item that an average person who changes their own oil can perform?

As for the flywheel, I find it difficult to stall the car compared to my 95 Thunderbird Super Coupe. I have noticed the throttle response being a bit show compared to other cars. (The flywheel may have some part to do with that).

All in all, I love the car. I found it about 600 miles from home and drove down to pick it up. It was completely stock except it had aftermarket wheels (American Racing 18"s). I couldn't beat the price of 20,500 and couldn't even find one for sale where I live. Some people know exactly what it is while others didn't even know you could buy a Cadillac with a stick. Either way, it surprises a bunch of people when you take them through a hard turn. See below:

odthetruth
10-17-11, 04:52 AM
@dangrus - congrats. LOL When I picked mine up, that was the first to go as well. Cags delete. I read you could do it for about $7 with some parts from radioshack, but opted for the more expensive but cleaner looking ebay option. lol

Also, check the front sway bar, as the bushings seem to be notorious for going bad from what I've seen here.

@Alpinelx
Creative Steel has some motor mounts.

They cost about $240 + shipping.
Its a bit more involved then an oil change. Search on youtube for "CTS-V motor mounts removal" without quotes. It should be first vid by motormounts.

They are on my list as well, and apparently the stock mounts go bad all the time.

Houdini
10-17-11, 08:38 AM
Yeah the OEM motormounts SUCK big time and people usually only get about 30k miles out of them.

Go with creative steel motor mounts.

perfect
10-17-11, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the V community Dangrus.

I'm from Kansas City as well (Overland Park, actually) and several of us V owners meet up from time to time. PM me if you're interested in being added to the contact list for our little group and I'll stay in touch when we do meet up.

The V is a blast! Good choice on upgrading the motor mounts.

mberisha
10-17-11, 10:38 AM
Argghhh...I leave and another V in the area! Have fun!

dangrus
10-17-11, 09:06 PM
I need to get all the preferred parts figured out still. Creative for the motor mounts, UUC for this, Lindsay for that, I wish there was a cross reference somewhere that listed the common vendors. Thanks for the tip Pato, I haven't been under the rear yet, I need to check that checked out ASAP. I do need to build some ramp helpers though so that I can get it up on my ramps easier and then add an extra couple inches. Fitting under there and getting back to the drain plug is not as easy as my Mustang was and that didn't have much clearance.

Alpinlx- sounds like you got the same deal that I did, you have nicer rims. I cleaned and waxed it real good yesterday, today I walked out to it for lunch and it really stood out amoung the other cars. I felt like a proud papa, like I had just had a another kid.

dangrus
10-17-11, 10:04 PM
@perfect - Definitely interested in getting together the next time you guys meet. I lost my ability to PM, I am guessing I don't have enough posts.

Aurora40
10-18-11, 09:26 AM
It does appear to be bone stock. It has RSA tires on there, I think they are the OE runflats but I don't know for sure.
The OEM tires should have a star symbol molded into them. Otherwise they are probably replacements. 65k seems like a lot of miles for the RS-A's to handle, but you never know.

And congrats on the car. I bought an '06 Infra last year, and it's a lot of fun.

perfect
10-19-11, 10:33 AM
@perfect - Definitely interested in getting together the next time you guys meet. I lost my ability to PM, I am guessing I don't have enough posts.

@dangrus - apperrantly I don't have the option to PM either. E-mail me at renfrewc(at)bv(dot)com and I'll add you to our contact list. Maybe we can get one more meet in before this winter finally sets in.

dangrus
10-19-11, 10:00 PM
@perfect - I just emailed you.

@Aurora40 - They have a star on them, but I found a receipt where a previous owner had 4 tires mounted at a garage. Looks like he brought the tires in Tire Rack style. I can't see any tires getting 70k on them, let alone on these cars. These RS/As kind of suck, they break loose pretty easy, I expected a little better effort from them. Just need to last til next Spring, then I think I am replacing them with Conti DWS. That is unless I find a set of snow tires and rims, then I will switch to summer tires.

Aurora40
10-21-11, 09:15 AM
Weird, I didn't think you could buy them new with the "GM OEM" symbol. I wonder if they were take-offs? You could look at the manufacturing date on them. And the RS-A's do wear well, but yeah 70k seems a stretch. I'd believe 50k though. New tires will transform the car. Mine came on RS-A's also. Now I have Super Sports and Wintersport M3's. Much more fun. :) You can find decent OEM wheels for about $150 a wheel, maybe cheaper, if you keep your eye out.

dangrus
10-22-11, 06:15 PM
Weird, I didn't think you could buy them new with the "GM OEM" symbol. I wonder if they were take-offs? You could look at the manufacturing date on them. And the RS-A's do wear well, but yeah 70k seems a stretch. I'd believe 50k though. New tires will transform the car. Mine came on RS-A's also. Now I have Super Sports and Wintersport M3's. Much more fun. :) You can find decent OEM wheels for about $150 a wheel, maybe cheaper, if you keep your eye out.

The date codes range from 3205 to 3905, the door plaque lists 12/05 so these tires would predate the care a few months which could put them dated as originals. But I agree with you, I think they are takeoffs because of the tire mounting receipt. They are pretty greasey so I am sure they have exceeded their optimal age. I just need to baby them to spring when I will replace them.

GDPossehl
10-24-11, 04:49 PM
I need to get all the preferred parts figured out still. Creative for the motor mounts, UUC for this, Lindsay for that, I wish there was a cross reference somewhere that listed the common vendors.

This is a little outdated, but it gets most of it done.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/vmodlist.html

This page has great info for these cars along with how-to's.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

6 SPEED Z
10-26-11, 08:55 AM
'05 Red Line here Congrats and welcome