: Parking my V for winter questions.

Hydro
10-14-11, 12:45 PM
Hey guys as stated above i am parking my car for the winter. First off:
Yes i know we can drive them in winter, but i got it as a summer car and as i have a 3500 diesel Chevy and 1500 gas Dodge (wife's) 4x4 trucks i donít need the car in the winter.
I did search the forums but didn't find anything really helpful.
Yes it will be in my heated garage.
Yes i have ordered a car cover ( http://www.buyautocovers.ca/2010-cadillac-cts-v-sedan-4-door-noah-car-cover.html )
I will be parking the car full of fuel with both a fuel stabilizer and anti-freeze additives.
I have never had any mice or rodent problems in my home/garage before but i will still stuff steel wool into the muffler tail pipes just in case.
Yes the car will have been fully serviced by dealer before it is parked.
Yes there will be baking soda boxes in the cabin and trunk to keep both moisture and odor controlled
Yes the car will be waxed/polished
Yes i have a battier charge with a maintenance mode (CTEK 3300)
Now things i am look for help with:
Do you guy park them with the wheels/tires on the car?
Yes they are aftermarket, 22" Dub 5 Drones with Falken FK452 tires 245/30/22 front, 285/25/22 rear
No i donít have the stock wheels/tires any more :banghead:
Do you leave the tire pressure up or lower it (Not flat but not max either)
Do you park the car on dollies? If so flat ones or curved one to keep the tire shape?
Do you guys fog the engine or just start it up every few days?

If there is anything i have missed please let me know.

thebigjimsho
10-14-11, 12:54 PM
If you have a tender, leave it be. It will be fine sitting that long without need to start it. As for storing on tires, it is fine on 18s or 19s. On 22s, I'm not so sure...

cdog533
10-14-11, 03:35 PM
I don't do anything to my car that sits for the winter. Gas will last for 6 months. I do have a battery disconnect switch, so I throw that. About every month or two, I roll it forward or back a couple of feet just in case it thinks about flat spotting.

That's all you need to do. It's not sitting for 15 years or something...

JimmyH
10-14-11, 04:48 PM
If rodents do become a problem, just scatter some fabric softener sheets on the garage floor around the car. That will keep them away.

neuronbob
10-14-11, 04:48 PM
You are pretty well prepared for the winter just with what you have listed. Park it, tender it, cover it, you're done.

cruiser68
10-14-11, 04:59 PM
Like others have said, sounds like you have it covered. One addition, I usually put a storage car on jack stands. Unloads the springs, prevents a flat spot from possibly developing on the tire, and prevents wicking moisture up through the concrete. Another alternative would be to just put plywood squares under each wheel.

Bigron
10-14-11, 05:30 PM
I usually pump the tires up since colder weather will lower the pressure to avoid flat spots.
I throw a trickle charger on it and start it once a week.

OldRoadDawg
10-14-11, 06:41 PM
I've been storing my Vs every winter for the past 6 yrs for up to 5 months and do most of what you are going to do, except my garage is not heated.
I put the tire pressure at 32 psi and they sit on cement. I would never jack it up and allow the suspension to hang down for the that amount of time.
And I would never start it up unless I was prepared to drive it long enough to fully warm it up, burning off any condensation.
After it goes into storage, the Battery Tender gets hooked up and that it is where it stays until the roads are salt free. No issues after 6 winters.

The most difficult thing is to leave it alone until spring.

JimmyH
10-14-11, 08:26 PM
I think it's best to drive it once every couple of weeks if you have that choice. Mine was in my garage and I did not turn off the insurance, so I would drive it occasionally during the winter when it was nice out.

hulksdaddy
10-14-11, 09:00 PM
Do NOT start it up unless you plan on driving it at least an hour.

Pump up the tires to 40 lbs to combat flat spotting.

Tender, Stabil, cover, good to go!

Thrill6
10-14-11, 09:22 PM
I've been parking my vettes all winter for more than 10 years and don't do anything except hook it up to a battery tender. I take it out for a drive during the winter ONLY if the roads are dry and clear of any salt, but it usually sits without starting from the beginning of November until February. As long as you keep the tender on it, no need to worry about draining the battery even if you start it and let it run for only a few minutes.

Modern radials don't flat spot permanantly, but the old bias ply tires did. I only had flat spots once and that was because the car had been sitting for more than a year and they went away after about 30 minutes of driving. I've never used Stabil or any other fuel additives and never had any issues. I do not leave the take full though, maybe only a 1/4 or half. When the spring comes, I fill up the tank to get fresh gas in with the old.

thebigjimsho
10-14-11, 10:36 PM
I think it's best to drive it once every couple of weeks if you have that choice. Mine was in my garage and I did not turn off the insurance, so I would drive it occasionally during the winter when it was nice out.Folly.

garfin
10-15-11, 09:58 AM
Definitely avoid starting the car and letting it run for just a short time while parked. If you can take it out for a good run (even better on the highway) for 30 - 40 min or so, then great, but otherwise the car is better off not being started for reasons already described.
You probably don't need a reminder, but it never hurts... so if you do have an opportunity to take the car out for a boot, remember your summer tires will have greatly reduced grip in the cold - even more so if you've pumped up the tire pressures.
When storing for winter in the past, I've pumped the tires up to 40 psi and I agree with keeping the suspension loaded...
With a full tank of gas and Sta-bil, the octane of that gas in the spring will be at a lower level than when you filled it. Consider adding octane booster in the spring and driving gently (an exercise in discipline!) until you burn off all the old gas to avoid possible detonation from the lower quality gas.

Best regards,

Elie

Prof
10-16-11, 03:30 AM
Agree with garfin completely.

I drive my V year around but have a good weather only vehicle that sits for about 5 months each year.

Mice have been a problem. I store lots of corn for our deer in the garage and that brings the mice. Traps are a necessity, and so are every other device and deterrent known to mankind.

garfin
10-16-11, 10:47 AM
Mice have been a problem. I store lots of corn for our deer in the garage and that brings the mice. Traps are a necessity, and so are every other device and deterrent known to mankind.

A liberal spreading of mothballs around and under the car wouldn't hurt either...

Best regards,

Elie

Hydro
10-16-11, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys, I know it may seem like i am going a little overboard here but I just want to keep her nice for as long as i can. I am sure i will have many more questions and post that make you guys shake you’re heads but what can I say I love this car and plan on having it for a while.

BeagleBrains
10-16-11, 09:49 PM
Starting your car once a week, you need to let it run until up to normal operating temperatures, to avoid condensation problems. Of course, this is a continual fuel usage that lowers the volume in the gas tank, increasing the air volume where condensation accumulates even more. Corrosion now increases leading to fuel filter plugging. I have stored cars through the winter for years. Gas tank filled to maximum elliminates any air volume for condensation to occur.
Overpressurizing the tires precludes flatspotting. In my own garage where I "never have rodent problems", when I brought my Trans Am out of storage, I had a small fire in the mouse nesting material that was installed on top of the manifold adjactent the headers.

Prof
10-17-11, 12:07 AM
... In my own garage where I "never have rodent problems", when I brought my Trans Am out of storage, I had a small fire in the mouse nesting material that was installed on top of the manifold adjactent the headers.

The damn critters know the potential warm spots!

Bigron
10-17-11, 01:07 PM
Good to know about starting it up. I usually let it run for a half hour but if you are saying not to then I learned something today. Time to get a cookie and go home.

TheSpungos
10-17-11, 02:02 PM
Anyone have a battery tender they recommend? My old one is apparently shot....

BeagleBrains
10-17-11, 04:52 PM
I have four trickle-charge units. Works well (for years), been using them for years.
http://batterytender.com/automotive.htm
(http://batterytender.com/automotive.html)
Appropriate Storage is improved by moisture absorption dessicant and fuel stabilizer.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-storage-kit-1-313-545.html (http://batterytender.com/automotive.html)