: iPhone 4S and iOS5

MarioA
10-14-11, 08:12 AM
Hello!

With the release of iPhone 4S and iOS5 I am curious what peoples experiences are.
I have an iPhone 4 - which worked great with my 2010 SRX.
I upgraded the operating system to iOS5 and now it does not get recognized, the message is something like "Cannot work with this media"
:sadeyes:

I am curious - has anyone else tried iOS5 on their iPhone 3 or or 4 with their SRX?
Has anyone tried a new iPhone4S on the SRX?

thanks!

Mario

M5eater
10-14-11, 08:19 AM
When I upgraded to OS5 all my apps were wiped out... not a happy consumer at the moment.

sube5186
10-14-11, 08:40 AM
With the release of iPhone 4S and iOS5 I am curious what peoples experiences are. I have an iPhone 4 - which worked great with my 2010 SRX. I upgraded the operating system to iOS5 and now it does not get recognized, the message is something like "Cannot work with this media"
:sadeyes:

You may have to wait for a software update to the SRX's radio. This will continually be a problem as long as new cell phones/operating systems are developed. With the popularity of the iPhone, I'd bet they're already working on an update.

Sube

MarioA
10-14-11, 09:02 AM
M5Eater - It certainly was a tricky update. Hopefully you get your issues resolved.

Sube - thanks for the response. I agree.
I just wish we had a way applying our own updates/patches since these updates will come consistently.

So with this sort of update being optional and non-critical.
Do we need to continually ask our dealer? Or is there a place where they publish these types of bulletins?

sube5186
10-14-11, 09:21 AM
So with this sort of update being optional and non-critical. Do we need to continually ask our dealer? Or is there a place where they publish these types of bulletins?

Yes. Explain the problem to your service manager and ask him to check for updates. You may have to keep checking back with him/her if they're not to type to do this on their own. There are websites that provide a list of all technical service bulletins, but this info is not free. This type of update wouldn't be considered a TSB, so it wouldn't be listed there anyway.

Sube

GGMiv
10-14-11, 05:44 PM
I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS5 this morning. It took a while but it eventually "restored" my apps as part of the long update process. The messages in iTunes and on the phone were kind of misleading so I just walked away and came back when everything was finished.

It later paired with my 2011 SRX this afternoon no problem.

stevec5375
10-14-11, 09:31 PM
IOS5 was in beta for quite some time. Let's just hope that GM had the beta and was working with it.

MarioA
10-15-11, 06:19 PM
I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS5 this morning. It took a while but it eventually "restored" my apps as part of the long update process. The messages in iTunes and on the phone were kind of misleading so I just walked away and came back when everything was finished.

It later paired with my 2011 SRX this afternoon no problem.

Good to hear you got your update done!
Pairing was successful for me as well, I had the issue with connecting via USB and playing music from within the iPhone.

daddie2k3
10-16-11, 01:15 AM
i have 4S and it paired easy just like my 4 did but i have not tried to play music through usb because i dont use that feature to often i just use my thumb drive but im still trying to figure out how to play music through bluetooth so i can use pandora and other internet music

sube5186
10-16-11, 12:57 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to play music through bluetooth so i can use pandora and other internet music

I hate to disappoint you, but if you have the Premium Bose sound system it's not compatible with Bluetooth music streaming. Only the basic stereo system does this.

Sube

daddie2k3
10-16-11, 01:02 PM
i kind of figured that and im ok with that but i just remember seeing somebody saying they had a thunderbolt and they did it so i thought i would do some searching around lol

sube5186
10-16-11, 02:21 PM
i kind of figured that and im ok with that but i just remember seeing somebody saying they had a thunderbolt and they did it so i thought i would do some searching around lol

Do you recall which stereo system they had, the premium or the standard?

Sube

daddie2k3
10-16-11, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure I will have to do a search but i just thought if one had feature then all would but I think you are right

sube5186
10-16-11, 02:50 PM
If I remember correctly, it was something about the Bluetooth module being different. I was pretty pissed when I discovered this, since I made a point of getting the premium system. When I started actually using the system, I didn't even miss the feature. With a thumbdrive, HDD, XM, AUX input and CD there are more than enough music sources to choose from. However, it would be nice to be able to wirelessly stream Pandora and eliminate the XM bill.

Sube

daddie2k3
10-16-11, 03:45 PM
Yes we could eliminate the bill or even reduce if you like xm because I have it on my phone as well so I could stream it to car from phone instead paying for car prices...I only pay 2.99 a month for service but it would go up without the car service but still would be a whole lot cheaper

Merge
10-16-11, 03:53 PM
Really don't understand why people upgrade major releases of any OS early. I always wait a few months at least for issues and bugs to be worked.
Nice upgrade path Apple!!! Wipping all apps/settings... shameful!

11RavenBlack
10-18-11, 12:21 PM
When I upgraded to OS5 all my apps were wiped out... not a happy consumer at the moment.

Same thing happened to me. I had to restore via the app store. Good thing they keep records of what you install. Then I had to rearrange 120+ apps into the correct folders. 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. :banghead:

im still trying to figure out how to play music through bluetooth so i can use pandora and other internet music

I can stream Pandora using the USB cable.

:pow-mia: Never Forget

daddie2k3
10-18-11, 12:25 PM
I just upgraded my girlfriend's iPhone 4 to iOS 5 and she didn't miss a beat (apps,contacts,photos etc) and far as pandora I can play one song from pandora and then it goes to my iPod app and play music

11RavenBlack
10-18-11, 12:42 PM
I just upgraded my girlfriend's iPhone 4 to iOS 5 and she didn't miss a beat (apps,contacts,photos etc) and far as pandora I can play one song from pandora and then it goes to my iPod app and play music

Hmmmm. Mine works fine. I have the subscription version of Pandora (no ads, no music limits).

:pow-mia: Never Forget

daddie2k3
10-18-11, 12:44 PM
Lol that might be the reason...I have the free app :)

RippyPartsDept
10-18-11, 12:50 PM
i have a 3GS and the update went just fine ... took about an hour but that's ok i guess

i also have the Pandora One app (subscription only costs about $30/yr) ... it's about the only music that I've listened to for about three years now

MarioA
10-19-11, 10:41 AM
To add insult to injury - if you keep your iOS5 device plugged in to the USB to charge it, you can't use the Audio out option.
It seems the SRX stereo gives USB precedence over the audio in when both are plugged in.
:crying2:

11RavenBlack
10-19-11, 11:52 AM
To add insult to injury - if you keep your iOS5 device plugged in to the USB to charge it, you can't use the Audio out option.
It seems the SRX stereo gives USB precedence over the audio in when both are plugged in.
:crying2:

I'm confused. If you are referring to the 3.5mm jack when you say Audio Out, why would you want to use that when you have the iPhone plugged in to USB? The sound from the USB connection is far superior to the 3.5mm audio in. I use mine all the time. It charges while it plays music. Either via the iPod app, iHeartMusic or Pandora.