: Front end noise... please help

Sublime69
10-13-11, 10:55 PM
So i have front end noise/rattle that sounds like its coming from the front right. It happens when i hit certain bumps and i will also experience some "bump steer". I gave the car to my buddy who teaches high school auto shop to try and figure it out, and he couldnt find anything wrong! It pissed him off too because he could here it while driving but couldn't find anything. Now maybe or he must have missed something but he checked the tie rods, ball joints and steering components... has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks

darkman
10-13-11, 11:28 PM
My guess is that you have either: (a) a seized front shock; or (b) a worn control arm bushing and/or the condition described in the attachment.

kzeliminator
10-14-11, 12:05 AM
The shock bushing was my issue, if it isn't seated correctly, shit rattles

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mcline86
10-14-11, 06:21 PM
Control arm bushings. I had a similar problem the dealer replaced one of my shocks, then zip tied some tube they said was making the noise. Then the noise was still there and i didnt feel like bringing it back. A guy on here Kev something replaced his control arm bushings and got rid of the noise. I havnt replaced mine yet but it hasnt got any worse, and i suspect the bushings are the issue.

kevm14
10-15-11, 10:09 AM
My noise was anti-roll bar bushings. Definitely didn't cause any steering issues, though.

05CaddyDaddy
10-26-11, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I'm hearing a front end noise that sounds like I'm walking up a pair of creeky steps when I drive real slow on the brakes or when I press the brakes. I only hear it when I'm going forward though. Any thoughts, please!

odthetruth
10-26-11, 08:35 PM
Might be that TSB dark mentioned. Also check to make sure that there is no wear on the sway bars possibly coming into contact with the front shocks.

lollygagger8
10-27-11, 10:26 AM
If you want to know if it's the sway bar bushings, you can always take the sway bar off and drive around to see if the noise goes away. Look on the shock labels for wear from the sway bar as well.

I'm getting a squeak and sometimes even a clunk noise up front. I replaced my front shocks thinking it was that, and the noise went away for a month, now it's back. No marks on the shocks, so it's not my sway bar.

I'm thinking it's the control arm bushings as well. For a TSB, does the dealer fix those for free or what? Do you have to convince them that's the problem?

CadzillaTN
10-27-11, 02:28 PM
Nope. Well, maybe but good luck convincing them.

Our best bet is someone offering a swap program and charge a fee to press in aftermarket bushings......................who's gonna step up?

Charlie Costello
10-28-11, 11:05 AM
I installed the bushing repair parts on both sides. The kits come with new washers and teflon discs. About one hour per side. It sounded like the sqeeky stair thing detailed above. No more noise for the past 10k miles. Ususlly was the worst in high humidity and rain. Hope it helps. Kits were like 15.00 each.

lollygagger8
10-28-11, 11:13 AM
I installed the bushing repair parts on both sides. The kits come with new washers and teflon discs. About one hour per side. It sounded like the sqeeky stair thing detailed above. No more noise for the past 10k miles. Ususlly was the worst in high humidity and rain. Hope it helps. Kits were like 15.00 each.

Did you get it from the stealership? What is the part number on the "kit" ?

Charlie Costello
10-28-11, 05:36 PM
Yes, I got them from the dealer. It is the lower control arm bushing update kit. I will have to see if I have the part number for the kit. 1 kit does one side, I believe. If I have an extra kit, I will post the part number.

Charlie Costello
10-28-11, 05:38 PM
Oh, by the way, mine got so bad it was very embarrasing. It sound worse than any other front end noises you have ever had. I am amazed these inexpensive kits cleared it right up. The rubber in the bushings rub the aluminum mounts, thus causing the issues. No need to replace the bushings.

Charlie Costello
10-29-11, 10:50 AM
Part no. 19150047. 1 kit does both sides of the car.

darkman
10-29-11, 11:33 AM
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/78487/TECH_TIP_F.aspx