: Navigation screen not working. Is this a common issue?

boosted353
10-13-11, 05:33 PM
I got in the car earlier today, and as soon as I started it the navigation screen went crazy. It still seems to function, there is just no way to tell what the screen is saying. Was there a service bulletin for this issue? If not, is there a way to fix or replace just the screen and not the entire unit? I really don't want to have to spend the ridiculous amount of money I'm sure it will cost for the dealership to replace this when the entire system is sub-par to begin with. Are there any aftermarket options that maintain all the functionality of the factory nav (fuel used, instant fuel economy etc)?

here is a picture of the screen:

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m487/V3L0CTY/photo.jpg

RippyPartsDept
10-13-11, 06:27 PM
if you plan on doing this yourself (you're out of warranty) you might want to contact specmo
http://specmo.com
see if you can send it in to them for repair
they usually can't quote over the phone
you'll have to wait for them to get it and then quote you
and it will cost about $35 diagnostic if you decline the work
but that's going to be your best and cheapest chance at a fix without going to the dealer

JimmyH
10-13-11, 07:22 PM
It is not common. But it is not unheard of either.

boosted353
10-13-11, 08:04 PM
quick update: I got in the car and drove it for about 5 minutes and turned it off. I cranked it again and the nav worked. After letting the car sit for a couple of hours I tried again and the screen wouldn't work again. I drove the car again for 5 minutes or so and the nav worked again. My initial thought was the battery is starting to get weak and there isn't enough power when the car is cold to start the nav up properly. I have heard these cars can do really weird things when the battery is starting to go out. I took it to autozone to have them test the battery and they said everything looked good. So I'm at a total loss as to what is going on.

JimmyH
10-13-11, 09:35 PM
Does the radio work when the screen doesnt? If so, it could be the lcd panel on its way out.

boosted353
10-13-11, 11:23 PM
Yes, the radio still works fine and I can still turn traction control and stability control off. The screen changes slightly when I push buttons but it still looks like the picture I posted. Just changing the lcd panel seems like it would be a pretty straight forward fix. I'll probably give specmo a call and see how much they would charge to fix it.

CancerJCC
10-14-11, 03:20 PM
Yes, the radio still works fine and I can still turn traction control and stability control off. The screen changes slightly when I push buttons but it still looks like the picture I posted. Just changing the lcd panel seems like it would be a pretty straight forward fix. I'll probably give specmo a call and see how much they would charge to fix it.

About as much as a used unit on the bay. $600.

dangrus
10-15-11, 01:43 AM
I would check the electrical connections, disconnect and reconnect just to make sure they are secure.

boosted353
10-15-11, 01:50 AM
If i bought the one on ebay wouldn't I still have to take it to the dealership to get it programmed? Also would a unit that came out of 04-05 V be compatible with an 07 V? I would think most everything would be the same but I just want to make sure before I spend the money and find out I'm stuck with a $600 paper weight. If it is the exact same cost I would almost rather go with fixing the one I have now because I know it will work with my car. I imagine I would be able to pull it out have them fix the lcd panel and be able to put it back in and have everything work properly but I could be wrong, I might have to reprogram it regardless. At the same time this is a daily driver and it would be nice to be able to pull the old one, put in the working one, get it programmed and be done with it. I don't really like the idea of driving around with a big hole in the dash while I'm waiting on mine to be fixed. I could deal with it for a little while but it would start getting on my nerves pretty quick.

boosted353
10-15-11, 01:55 AM
I would check the electrical connections, disconnect and reconnect just to make sure they are secure.

Good call, I'll do that next week when I have a little free time just to be safe. I would be thrilled if it was something that simple. Thanks for all the help guys!