Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Later model steering wheel on 77-79 Deville with tilt/telescope?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
The red steering wheel on my 78 Coupe has several cracks in it, and the wood trim on top of the horn is cracked as well, and a part of it is missing. This must be common, as virtually every 77-79 I see has similar problems. I have seen several newer (80's Devilles) steering wheels in junkyards, and they seem to have held up better over time. Does any one know if the later model wheel will attach to my 78 column and still work? My car has cruise, and as stated earlier, tilt/telescope.

#6 ·
What I would really like is to replace the broken piece of trim on top of the horn ring, but I have not seen one available. The wheel itself has a few small cracks I could live with, but the missing trim just looks so shabby. Anyone have one they want to part with, or know where I could get one?

#8 ·
I am trying to get my steering wheel off. Took the two screws out of the back but don't know how to undo the main but because the telescoping lock is in the way. Even if I undo the three fixers there still isn't a way to get to that main nut. Any ideas?

#10 ·
You're awesome. Thanks for the offer. I literally just came back in after getting the telescoping lock off! I used a big screwdriver in one of the holes and pushed it hard counter clockwise until it came loose. Now it's the nut holding the wheel on. I'm more of a mm guy, so I'm thinking it's a 22 because my 20mm bit is too small. Have to go buy one of those on Friday!

Thanks again though!👍🏼

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.